Boogered pilot jet removal help

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Boogered pilot jet removal help

Bought a bank of used BS34 CVs last year and finally got around to stripping 'em down for cleaning; gonna install Dynojet kit. Would be an understatement to say that these carbs have seen better days, as all float needles are frozen, split in one of the diaphragms, etc.

Biggest hurdle though is 3-outta-4 pilot jets are literally cemented in their orifices. Driver slots are non-existant. Tried heat (LOTS of heat), lubricants, more heat, muscle, swearing, the usual. So, what would the pros do? EZ out... left handed drill bit... or toss 'em?

Thanks in advance.
    '80 GS1000ST
    '92 ZX-11
    Past rides: '79 GS1000SN, '84 GPZ900R

http://totalrider.com/

Only thing I can think of past them bottle of propane we wasted Frank, is to drill them out and step up each size till just the thinnest sleeeve around the thread area exists...hopefully not getting to the threads on the carb body itself.

Then reach in with something and see if you can get them to fall out. I have never failed to get one out with lots of propane torch heat before...BUT those 3 you have are beyond me as to why they wont budge!!!
    MY BIKES..1977 GS 750 B, 1978 GS 1000 C (X2)
    1978 GS 1000 E, 1979 GS 1000 S, 1973 Yamaha TX 750, 1977 Kawasaki KZ 650B1, 1975 Honda GL1000 Goldwing, 1983 CB 650SC Nighthawk, 1972 Honda CB 350K4, 74 Honda CB550

NEVER SNEAK UP ON A SLEEPING DOG..NOT EVEN YOUR OWN.

I would rather trust my bike to a "QUACK" that KNOWS how to fix it rather than a book worm that THINKS HE KNOWS how to fix it.

Comment

I vote left handed drill bit.
      Start with a small one and work your way up.

Comment

Someone once posted about something used to flash freeze stuck bolts..cant remember the brand name of the stuff they mentioned. Maybe freeze them with some automotive AC refrigerant then some heat and the refreeze again..cyclic cracking of the old fuel or whatever is up there jamming them in??? At this point about anything is worth a try!!!
        1978 GS 1000 E, 1979 GS 1000 S, 1973 Yamaha TX 750, 1977 Kawasaki KZ 650B1, 1975 Honda GL1000 Goldwing, 1983 CB 650SC Nighthawk, 1972 Honda CB 350K4, 74 Honda CB550

I would rather trust my bike to a "QUACK" that KNOWS how to fix it rather than a book worm that THINKS HE KNOWS how to fix it.

Comment

Tank..I got them so hot with the torch that black tar looking crap was bubbling up thru the center holes.

AND then we soaked with oil and heated them some more..boiling them literally with the towers full of oil and still they refrused to move.

There is something that really has them stuck and i dont think left handed bits are gonna do it myself.

Comment

I used CRC Freeze Off on my exhaust bolts with great results. It's about 6 bucks at Auto Zone.

The latest in penetrant technology! CRC Freeze-Off Super Penetrant is a unique formula that uses Freeze Shock Action to FREEZE, PENETRATE and LOOSEN rusted ...

Comment

I had success using small ez outs on a few of them. Just have to make sure to not use too much torque, just wiggle it, use heat and penetrating oil too. A small drill to open them up to fit the ez out.

Comment

Originally posted by gearhead13 View Post
                I had success using small ez outs on a few of them. Just have to make sure to not use too much torque, just wiggle it, use heat and penetrating oil too. A small drill to open them up to fit the ez out.
                +1 for ez out. I had success using this method. As gearhead says, go gentle and wiggle.

Comment

Pilot Jet Removal

I had the same problem with mine and this was one solution:

See: My Gs1100 G Blog - Pilot Jet Shananigans

I drilled a small hole and jammed in a torque headed screwdriver tip which then got it out:

This was another pesky screw:

My GS1100 Blog - Carb Breakdown part 4

Be very careful you do not overdrill !!

Greetings
                  Richard
                  sigpic
                  GS1150 EF bought Jun 2015
                  GS1150 ES bought Mar 2014: ES Makeover Thread AND blog: Go to the Blog
                  GS1100 G (2) bought Aug 2013: Road Runner Project Thread AND blog: Go to the Blog
                  GS1100 G (1) Dad bought new 1985 (in rebuild) see: Dad's GS1100 G Rebuild AND blog: Go to the Blog
                  Previously owned: Suzuki GS750 EF (Canada), Suzuki GS750 (UK)(Avatar circa 1977), Yamaha XT500, Suzuki T500, Honda XL125, Garelli 50
                  Join the United Kingdom (UK) Suzuki GS Facebook Group here

Comment

Originally posted by chuck hahn View Post
                    Someone once posted about something used to flash freeze stuck bolts..cant remember the brand name of the stuff they mentioned. Maybe freeze them with some automotive AC refrigerant then some heat and the refreeze again..cyclic cracking of the old fuel or whatever is up there jamming them in??? At this point about anything is worth a try!!!
                    freeze your nuts off.....

Comment

Thanks, folks. Some good ideas here.
                      I'll give 'er a go with a couple suggestions and report back soon.
                      '80 GS1000ST
                      '92 ZX-11
                      Past rides: '79 GS1000SN, '84 GPZ900R

http://totalrider.com/

Comment

+1 on drilling out slightly and pounding in a torx screwdriver. they really BITE when pounded in where they shouldn't go!!! just stay small cause if you go too large it might swell the pilot out making it even harder to extract!!!

Comment

Originally posted by chuck hahn View Post
                          Only thing I can think of past them bottle of propane we wasted Frank, is to drill them out and step up each size till just the thinnest sleeeve around the thread area exists...hopefully not getting to the threads on the carb body itself.

Then reach in with something and see if you can get them to fall out. I have never failed to get one out with lots of propane torch heat before...BUT those 3 you have are beyond me as to why they wont budge!!!
                          This is the only thing you can do at this point. I just did this yesterday with a petcock bolt broken off flush at the bottom. Would not respond to an easy out. It came out fine.

Comment

Frank...any love to be found with the jets????

Comment

Working...
                            X