stripped exhaust bolt hole

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

stripped exhaust bolt hole

Hey guys. Iv got a quick question: this weekend i took my headers off to wrap them. As I was putting them back on this evening, I noticed that one of my bolts wasn't tightening up. I removed the bolt and looked up in there, and the threads are ate up...so now, what are my options? I'm going to guess that I'm not the only one this has happened to. I'm very new to motorcycles and just got this one two weeks ago...any advice would be great at this point!

helicoil it.

this involves buying the correct helicoil and drill bit kit.
    you drill it out, use the included tap and then screw the helicoil in and presto chango..
    new threads.

Comment

Here's a link

Try this, you will need a drill bit 21/64th, so if you order both items you will be over $25.00 and get free shipping. (kind of like getting the drill bit for free)
      If you are installing this yourself, you need to make sure you drill very straight and then tap straight or the thread will not align with the collar and cause you more grief than you alreday have.

I had to install 7 of them and I got one a bit off which sucks.

2018 Honda Africa Twin AS
      2013 DR 650 Grey, sold 1981 GS 650E Silver,

1980 GS1000ST Blue & White, X2

2012 DL650 Vstrom Foxy Orange, in storage
      1981 CT110 X2 "Postie Bikes" Gone to a New Home.
      2002 BMW 1150 GS Blue & White - Sold
      1975 BMW R90/6 Black - Sold 1984 GS1150EF Sold
      1982 BMW R100 Africa trip, Stolen - Recovered- Sold
      1977-1980 Suzuki GS550, GS1000E, GS1000S GSX750, GSX1100,s
      Hondas ST90, CR125 CB175 , CB350 CB750, NSU Quickly, Yamaha RD's 350/400,

Comment

Helicoil or threadsert. You may have to remove the head depending in the location.

Comment

I had read and watched a short video about helicoil, but I was just seeing if there was some sort of magically easier way. Haha, I guess I'll have to give it a shot. I believe I can do it on the bike...well, I sure hope so anyway. My biggest concern is keeping everything straight.
          I was sure hoping I could find something with the same concept of concrete anchors, where it would bite as you torqued the bolt?
          Thanks for the quick replies!

Comment

It would be a good time to swap the original bolts out for studs, no more stripped threads.

Comment

Originally posted by Toasty View Post
              It would be a good time to swap the original bolts out for studs, no more stripped threads.
              Before the threads were stripped out would have been a better time.
              http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v5...tatesMap-1.jpg

Life is too short to ride an L.

Comment

Whatever you do, DON'T drill too deep. Go JUST far enough to get the insert in.

I seem to recall a hapless GS-er a few years back who couldn't figure out why oil was dripping from one of his exhaust bolts...
                1983 GS850G, Cosmos Blue.
                2005 KLR685, Aztec Pink - Turd II.3, the ReReReTurdening
                2015 Yamaha FJ-09, Magma Red Power Corrupts...
                Eat more venison.

Please provide details. The GSR Hive Mind is nearly omniscient, but not yet clairvoyant.

Celeriter equita, converteque saepe.

SUPPORT THIS SITE! DONATE TODAY!

Co-host of "The Riding Obsession" sport-touring motorcycling podcast at tro.bike!

Comment

I plan to go to Napa sometime this week and order my helicoil kit. Thanks for the guidance guys!

Comment

Originally posted by Toasty View Post
                    This..........
                    NO PIC THANKS TO FOTO BUCKET FOR BEING RIDICULOUS

Current Rides: 1980 Suzuki GS1000ET, 2009 Yamaha FZ1, 1983 Honda CB1100F, 2006 H-D Fatboy
                    Previous Rides: 1972 Yamaha DS7, 1977 Yamaha RD400D, '79 RD400F Daytona Special, '82 RD350LC, 1980 Suzuki GS1000E (sold that one), 1982 Honda CB900F, 1984 Kawasaki GPZ900R

Comment

Working...
                    X