gs 850gl carb problems

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

gs 850gl carb problems

i have a 81 gs850 gl when i crack my throttle back it bogs down any help would be nice i have taken them apart a few times and cant figure it out bike ran fine last summer

could it be the flote lv or posible a pluged air jet also it had been backfiring now and then just little pops

Comment

First of all,

Next, please tell us a bit more about the bike.

Did you just park it and expect it to run this year? Living in ND, I would expect that you know how to winterize equipment.

Have you done anything to the carbs?
      Have you cleaned them?
      Have you rebuilt them?
      Do you have an airbox on them?

Sorry, but I really had to re-read your posts to figure out what you were trying to say. Absolutely NO punctuation. Too many letters left off, too many "texting" shortcuts (which I don't understand). Just don't tell me you were posting from your phone, because even MY cheap phone has all the letters and punctuation.

I usually ignore stuff that I can't read, but I do what I can to help another 850.

sigpic
      mine: 2000 Honda GoldWing GL1500SE and 1980 GS850G'K' "Junior"
      hers: 1982 GS850GL - "Angel" and 1969 Suzuki T250 Scrambler
      #1 son: 1986 Yamaha Venture Royale 1300 and 1982 GS650GL "Rat Bagger"
      #2 son: 1980 GS1000G
      Family Portrait
      Siblings and Spouses
      Mom's first ride
      Want a copy of my valve adjust spreadsheet for your 2-valve per cylinder engine? Send me an e-mail request (not a PM)
      (Click on my username in the upper-left corner for e-mail info.)

Comment

i cleaned them like i do every other year i did not dip them but i pulled the main jets out and idle jest one at a time and cleaned them and put them back i have been out riding this year and the problem just kinda started out of no where yea bike is stock unless the old owner rejeted it but i highly doubt that he was a very old man

Comment

yes airbox is on

Comment

sorry i don't use the pc much. I really don't like tipping. i am not very good at it. I' will try harder because i really need the help.

Comment

It's possible that the carbs could be plugged or misadjusted, but it shouldn't be the case if you've rebuilt them properly. I'd like to offer suggestions, but you haven't given us much to go on. Does it idle fine? Does it behave any different once warmed up? What's the bike's maintenance history? What have you done lately? What is the condition of the air box, air filter, carb boots, intake boots, intake boot o-rings, etc? Have you checked for spark on all four plugs?

I see that you have only two posts, so it's possible that you don't know about BassCliff's website, which has contains almost all of the knowledge known to humankind on maintaining these bikes. I'm going to spoil his mega-welcome just a bit by directing you his site, where you can find not one, but two CV carb rebuild tutorials: http://members.dslextreme.com/users/bikecliff/

Read your mega-welcome when it comes along, as it will have info on everything you need to do in order to keep the bike running well.

And welcome!

----

EDIT: I just saw your follow up posts and would like to suggest two things:

1) Just removing the jets and cleaning them isn't "cleaning the carbs", there are lots of other passages and stuff that need cleaning as well. See the link I gave above and search out the CV carb rebuild guides. They will steer you right. Note that unless you've replaced the o-rings in the carbs recently, they could very well be bad (even if not visibly so) and you can buy a new set from cycleorings.com

2) It's possible that the carbs aren't the issue. If there are any vacuum leaks between the airbox snorkel and the intake side of the head, the bike will not run properly. Make sure the airbox is clean and sealed, all boots are perfectly supple, and change out the o-rings under the intake boots. If you don't know the age of any boots, o-rings, seals, or other parts, consider them too old to function normally anymore and replace them.
              Last edited by eil; 05-29-2013, 06:36 PM.
              Charles
              --
              1979 Suzuki GS850G

Read BassCliff's GSR Greeting and Mega-Welcome!

Comment

thank you so much!!!! i will look here and see if i can figure it out.

Comment

Greetings and Salutations!!

Hi Mr. bobybooshay,

If you are here you probably have a 30 year old motorcycle that needs about 20 years worth of maintenance. In the links below you'll find maintenance lists, documentation, wiring diagrams, "how to" guides, vendor links, tips, tricks, and a whole lot of GS goodness. This is your "mega-welcome". Let's get started.

Let me dump a TON of information on you and share some GS lovin'.

I just stopped by to welcome you to the forum in my own, special way.

If there's anything you'd like to know about the Suzuki GS model bikes, and most others actually, you've come to the right place. There's a lot of knowledge and experience here in the community. Come on in and let me say "HOoooowwwDY!"....

Here is your very own magical, mystical, mythical, mind-expanding "mega-welcome". Please take notice of the "Top 10 Common Issues", "Top 15 Tips For GS Happiness", the Carb Cleanup Series, and the Stator Papers. All of these tasks must be addressed in order to have a safe, reliable machine. This is what NOT to do: Top 10 Newbie Mistakes. Now let me roll out the welcome mat for you...

Please Click Here For Your Mega-Welcome, chock full of tips, suggestions, links to vendors, and other information. Then feel free to visit my little BikeCliff website where I've been collecting the wisdom of this generous community. Don't forget, we like pictures! Not you, your bike!

More links to helpful threads in the forum:
                  Help! Your Bike Won't Start
                  DON'T DO THESE THINGS
                  Help! Your Bike Won't Run Well
                  Oh God! Pods!

Thanks for joining us. Keep us informed.

Thank you for your indulgence,

BassCliff

Comment

Working...
                  X