Which Carbs are on my 82 GS 1100 GL

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Which Carbs are on my 82 GS 1100 GL

I am brand new to this forum and I just went to Minnesota to buy my bike last weekend...I live in Phoenix so my Brother in law drove it to his place in Iowa...It ran fine except, when I was doing about 65 on the freeway and went to punch it, it just went "Blah, Blah" ...No power left, and a very disconcerting occurrence...The guy I bought it from took off the old air cleaner box and said that he tried re-jetting it several times, he couldn't seem to get it right...So he gave me the old air cleaner box with a new filter in it...I thought that when I go get the bike I will just put the jets that the factory installed back in it...He also said he drilled out the slide for quicker throttle response...Are they the Mikuni VM33A14 carbs? I looked at the manual but it doesn't tell me...I intend to take the carbs off and clean and re-jet them. and install new boots when I get it...Any other ideas?

Find your carb specs in the above link.
    Stock carbs for your bike are Mikuni BS34SS
    I couldn't tell you what's on there now.
    1983 GS 1100E w/ 1230 kit, .340 lift Web Cams, Ape heavy duty valve springs, 83 1100 head with 1.5mm oversized SS intake valves, 1150 crank, Vance and Hines 1150 SuperHub, Star Racing high volume oil pump gears, 36mm carebs Dynojet stage 3 jet kit, Posplayr's SSPB, Progressive rear shocks and fork springs, Dyna 2000, Dynatek green coils and Vance & Hines 4-1 exhaust.
    1985 GS1150ES stock with 85 Red E bodywork.

Comment

Yours are the CV flavor, not VM...
      '85 GS550L - SOLD
      '85 GS550E - SOLD
      '82 GS650GL - SOLD
      '81 GS750L - SOLD
      '82 GS850GL - trusty steed
      '80 GS1100L - son's project bike
      '82 GS1100G - SOLD
      '81 GS1100E - Big Red (daily rider)

Comment

Greetings and Salutations!!

Hi Mr. Meriban,

You have much to learn, Grasshopper. A great deal of knowledge and experience has been collected in the links below. When you can snatch the shim from my hand you will be ready.

If you are here you probably have a 30 year old motorcycle that needs about 20 years worth of maintenance. In the links below you'll find maintenance lists, documentation, wiring diagrams, "how to" guides, vendor links, tips, tricks, and a whole lot of GS goodness. This is your "mega-welcome". Let's get started.

Let me dump a TON of information on you and share some GS lovin'.

I just stopped by to welcome you to the forum in my own, special way.

If there's anything you'd like to know about the Suzuki GS model bikes, and most others actually, you've come to the right place. There's a lot of knowledge and experience here in the community. Come on in and let me say "HOoooowwwDY!"....

Here is your very own magical, mystical, mythical, mind-expanding "mega-welcome". Please take notice of the "Top 10 Common Issues", "Top 15 Tips For GS Happiness", the Carb Cleanup Series, and the Stator Papers. All of these tasks must be addressed in order to have a safe, reliable machine. This is what NOT to do: Top 10 Newbie Mistakes. Now let me roll out the welcome mat for you...

Please Click Here For Your Mega-Welcome, chock full of tips, suggestions, links to vendors, and other information. Then feel free to visit my little BikeCliff website where I've been collecting the wisdom of this generous community. Don't forget, we like pictures! Not you, your bike!

More links to helpful threads in the forum:
        Help! Your Bike Won't Start
        DON'T DO THESE THINGS
        Help! Your Bike Won't Run Well
        Oh God! Pods!

Thanks for joining us. Keep us informed.

Thank you for your indulgence,

BassCliff

Comment

Howdy.

I was about in the same situation as you when I bought mine. I've made some mistakes that hopefully you will not. My main advice is to try to keep it stock. It's plenty fast as is and your life will be much easier.

When dealing with running issues there are five main concerns:

Exhaust
          Air Box
          Carbs
          Spark
          Valve Lash

Exhaust - Stock? 4 in 1? Something else? This matters for jetting. Hopefully it's stock. Check for leaks especially at the head. It's _very_ important to not have any leaks. If it is leaking, replace the gaskets. (Tip: The exhaust bolts come out easier when hot. DO NOT break them off or you are in a world of hurt.)

Air Box - We know it's stock but does it have a full rubber snorkel on back? There should be a big piece of rubber on the back that goes from the bottom to the top and openings that point towards the rear of the bike when installed. The air box also needs to be sealed. There should be foam on top of the air filter that seals it to it's opening and foam on the side doors. If it's nasty, replace it with some stick on door insulating foam strips from the hardware store.

Carbs - Should be Mikuni BS34's. They are also called CV (Constant Velocity) carbs. They look like the bare metal ones in this excellent tutorial: http://www.mtsac.edu/%7Ecliff/storag...d_Tutorial.pdf It's by a forum member who is also a great guy. Read it all the way through and do what it says. The stock jets for our bikes are #115 main & #45 pilot. When stock the air screw was 1.5 turns out. Since the bike is running I doubt you'll have much trouble disassembling them but try and use a tight fitting impact driver on all the screws because they strip very easily. Getting new stainless allen screw to replace all of the philips heads is recommended. After everything is done, you'll need to do a carb sync as the _very_ last step. This cannot be skipped if you want a well running bike. If you have to replace the float bowl gaskets, the OEM ones are much better than any replacements that you can find but they are much more expensive.

Spark - Plugs are cheap, get a new set. NGK B8ES Check the plug wires for cracks especially up where they meet the coils. If they are cracked they will need to be replaced. The wires are built into the coils so it's best to replace the whole unit. If you go aftermarket, the Dyna mini's fit much better in our frame than the Dyna greens. We also have resistor plug caps on our bikes that go bad. You might want to replace those also. I've found that 2 NGK SB05F (Straight) and 2 VB05F (120 degree) work best. If you have any doubts about the wiring, you may want to do a coil power relay mod.

Valve lash - Our valves are adjusted by replacing shims with different thicknesses between the cam lobe and the valve bucket. The measuring procedure can be found in the service manual found on BassCliff's site. For something like this (and the carb sync) you may want to find a friendly local forum member to help you out because you need some speciallised tools. (And a practiced pair of eyes for your first time doesn't hurt) Some people get lucky and have a friendly dealership nearby that will swap out shims for you. If you are one of the unlucky ones, a forum member(ghostgs1) runs a shim club. You tell him what you need, he sends them and you send back the old ones plus some cash to cover his mailing costs. Another great guy.

This is a 30yo bike and it's going to need some stuff. Here is where I get my stuff.

cycleorings.com Get the oring kit (with drain orings) and the 40mm intake boot orings. (The intake orings are cheap at $4 a set so get a spare set, too) The stainless allen head screws are a nice touch too. Takes about a week to get those. Be sure and mention your bike in the paypal message in case you ordered the wrong thing. He's a forum member and a good guy that will take care of you.

z1enterprises.com - They have a lot of stuff. You are bound to be taking off the valve cover so get a couple of spare gaskets. They have exhaust gaskets, oil filters, plugs and boots, coils, wires, petcocks and more. If they have it, I buy from them. Ultra fast shipping. I sometimes get my stuff within 3 days of ordering. Great customer service as well. Highly recommended.

I don't really have a good supplier for OEM parts right now. gssuzuki.com is the cheapest but they take about 3 weeks to deliver to me. (Good luck returning stuff, too) Your local dealership will be much quicker (they will have to order parts too) but much more expensive. Terrible customer service. Caveat emptor.

I've replaced just about everything I can with stainless hardware. (All the carb screws, engine cover screws, valve cover screws, etc) boltdepot.com has the best prices but a fairly high shipping cost so make sure you order everything that you need in one shot. There are some ebay sellers that sell some kits, too.

harbor freight for the one off tools. Digital calipers are nice to have around, you'll need some really skinny ring pliers to completely dissassemble the carb slides, stuff like that.

Plenty of friendly folks around here so if you can't find it in a search, ask away.

Rob

Comment

Thanks for all or your help and your warm welcomes...I have done a lot of research prior to that frantic post and have learned a great deal about the issue, without even looking at the bike...It seems the bike was stored for many years in a garage and the guy that I bought it from just worked on the carbs...I am sure that there are many leaks and old seals that need replaced...That is my first task...I ordered the parts and they are on their way...Just like every motorcycle I have ever had...I need to take it all apart and put it back together properly with working parts, in order to really take ownership of it...

Comment

Welcome to the forum. In my short time here I have learned to read twice as much as I post. It hasn't stopped me yet though so if you follow along its educational and comical. The mega thread is overwhelming in every way, but you need it.

Best advice is before doing any wrenching read the entire what not to do (top noob mistakes) thread.

Comment

It sounds like the PO may have installed a Dynojet kit to rejet the carbs

Carefully check the needle and jet numbers when you disassemble the carbs and post up some pictures
                1978 GS 1000 (since new)
                1979 GS 1000 (The Fridge, superbike replica project)
                1978 GS 1000 (parts)
                1981 GS 850 (anyone want a project?)
                1981 GPZ 550 (backroad screamer)
                1970 450 Mk IIID (THUMP!)
                2007 DRz 400S
                1999 ATK 490ES
                1994 DR 350SES

Comment

I have read the newbie post, all of them great ideas of what not to do...This is my Fifth Motorcycle and my Second GS...I am so thrilled to get back to the GS...I love this bike...That being said, I am going to keep this for a long time and money isn't a concern when it comes to riding something that is safe and reliable...There are too many variables that come into play when riding on two wheels. Poorly maintained equipment and parts are something I don't tolerate...I like my extremities too much to scrimp on safety...

Comment

Thanks Chicago Rob.

That is another thing that is missing,The rubber snorkel...Is it possible to get one? Where would I search for one and what is the part number? any suggestions?

Comment

I'm not familiar with your model, but this might help: http://www.cmsnl.com/suzuki-gs1100-g...001/partslist/
                      1980 GS550ET

Comment

Hi,

Originally posted by Meriban View Post
                        That is another thing that is missing,The rubber snorkel...Is it possible to get one? Where would I search for one and what is the part number? any suggestions?
                        I do not believe that the snorkel was ever sold as a separate OEM part. You'll have to get a used part/airbox from eBay or check the Parts Wanted and Parts For Sale sections of the forum.

Thank you for your indulgence,

BassCliff

Comment

Originally posted by Meriban View Post
                          I don't know if there is one for your bike.
                          Of course my idea of the snorkel is the rubber hose that connects the air cleaner box with the air box. I don't see a separate air cleaner box for the '82 GS1100GL.
                          sigpic
                          Steve
                          "The world is a book, and those who do not travel read only one page."

Comment

Originally posted by sedelen View Post
                            I don't know if there is one for your bike.
                            Of course my idea of the snorkel is the rubber hose that connects the air cleaner box with the air box. I don't see a separate air cleaner box for the '82 GS1100GL.
                            http://www.boulevardsuzuki.com/fiche...1982&fveh=2159
                            I just saw your other thread, and indeed the snorkel is unlike the ones I'm used to seeing. I apologize for that. But I think that part will be hard to locate unless you're lucky enough to get the whole assembly.
                            sigpic
                            Steve
                            "The world is a book, and those who do not travel read only one page."

Comment

Working...
                            X