Losing gas into Motor

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Losing gas into Motor

Hi: I am new to this forum. I just got a 1981 suzuki gs850gl. It wasnt running when I picked it up, but when I got it home. Just charged the battery and it started right up. I checked the compression to make sure the engine was good and got 150psi on all cylnders. I noticed it would bog down when I gave it gas, so I assummed the carbs needed to be cleaned. I took them off and found them to be clean inside, but I cleaned them anyway. I put it all back together and it ran great. I went to register it today, and I noticed it was running very rich. I could smell the gas. Then I proceeded to use up 3 gallons of fuel on my 20 mile ride home. When it was idling I saw gas coming out of the exhaust manifold.

I dont want to run it anymore, until I check the oil to make sure the gas hasn't contaminated it.

Can anyone help me figure out what can be causing this.
    Thanks

Greetings new guy
    You will soon get an official welcome
    It surprising it ran at all with that much fuel dumping into the crankcase.

needle valves and or petcock.
    Last edited by Guest; 05-29-2013, 11:04 PM.

Comment

Needs Cliff to come along and provide a little direction.
      http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v5...tatesMap-1.jpg

Life is too short to ride an L.

Comment

Backtrack around this guy's site..... try this

1981 gs650L

"We are all born ignorant, but you have to work hard to stay stupid" Ben Franklin

Comment

Ok Thanks. Cliffs website looks very helpful. I will keep you posted.

Comment

I took Cliffs advice and took the vacuum hose of the carb from the petcock to see if gas was coming through it. Which Cliff said this should never be,if it does you have a hole in the diafram. I then proceeded to get a mouth full of gas when I tested it. I guess I will be ordering a new OEM petcock valve.

Comment

Originally posted by jeff0676 View Post
              I took Cliffs advice and took the vacuum hose of the carb from the petcock to see if gas was coming through it. Which Cliff said this should never be,if it does you have a hole in the diafram. I then proceeded to get a mouth full of gas when I tested it. I guess I will be ordering a new OEM petcock valve.
              Yep; for future testing get section of clear vinyl hose and then you can watch the gas heading your way.
              1981 gs650L

"We are all born ignorant, but you have to work hard to stay stupid" Ben Franklin

Comment

Greetings and Salutations!!

Hi Mr. jeff0676,

If you don't find the information you need in the links below, just ask.

If you are here you probably have a 30 year old motorcycle that needs about 20 years worth of maintenance. In the links below you'll find maintenance lists, documentation, wiring diagrams, "how to" guides, vendor links, tips, tricks, and a whole lot of GS goodness. This is your "mega-welcome". Let's get started.

Let me dump a TON of information on you and share some GS lovin'.

I just stopped by to welcome you to the forum in my own, special way.

If there's anything you'd like to know about the Suzuki GS model bikes, and most others actually, you've come to the right place. There's a lot of knowledge and experience here in the community. Come on in and let me say "HOoooowwwDY!"....

Here is your very own magical, mystical, mythical, mind-expanding "mega-welcome". Please take notice of the "Top 10 Common Issues", "Top 15 Tips For GS Happiness", the Carb Cleanup Series, and the Stator Papers. All of these tasks must be addressed in order to have a safe, reliable machine. This is what NOT to do: Top 10 Newbie Mistakes. Now let me roll out the welcome mat for you...

Please Click Here For Your Mega-Welcome, chock full of tips, suggestions, links to vendors, and other information. Then feel free to visit my little BikeCliff website where I've been collecting the wisdom of this generous community. Don't forget, we like pictures! Not you, your bike!

More links to helpful threads in the forum:
                Help! Your Bike Won't Start
                DON'T DO THESE THINGS
                Help! Your Bike Won't Run Well
                Oh God! Pods!

Thanks for joining us. Keep us informed.

Thank you for your indulgence,

BassCliff

Comment

thanks for the gracious welcome. I dont know how I missed this site
                  your website has already been extremly helpful.
                  Thanks again

Comment

You prob need both a pet cock rebuild and new fuel needles. Pull one of the fuel needles out and look at the tip. If there is an indent where it seats with the fuel seat you should replace the needle. Then make sure you set the float heights correctly

Comment

I already ordered an OEM petcock assembly and I will check the needles thanks

Comment

Dont forget to check that the floats are set correctly. There is a great tutorial on setting them on the basecliff site. Very helpful and has pictures.

Comment

Working...
                        X