Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Vent Hose Issues

Hello all.

I’ve been lurking about the site now for a few months, as I purchased a 1982 GS650GL off a fellow for next to nothing and wanted something to play with during the winter. My technical knowledge is slim but through a Clymer’s manual and YouTube, I can normally limp my way though issues.

With that said, I disassembled and cleaned carbs and adjusted the floats, as she sat for two months without running and then didn’t want to start, but since the reassembly I have had a slow drip from the overflow hose when the engine is off. Now, I MAY have had that drip prior to the reassembly and never noticed it, that’s a possibility too.
    So, is it possible that the petcocks the culprit or is that no-go since it is coming from the vent hose?
    Last edited by Guest; 05-31-2013, 10:55 AM.

First of all,

Next, some clarification, if you will.

At one time, you say that you have a fuel drip from the overflow tube. Another time, you say it's coming from a vent tube.

Knowing where the drip is coming from helps the diagnosis, but you should really know ... there is no "overflow tube" on your carbs.

And, YES, the petcock is also a likely culprit.

sigpic
    mine: 2000 Honda GoldWing GL1500SE and 1980 GS850G'K' "Junior"
    hers: 1982 GS850GL - "Angel" and 1969 Suzuki T250 Scrambler
    #1 son: 1986 Yamaha Venture Royale 1300 and 1982 GS650GL "Rat Bagger"
    #2 son: 1980 GS1000G
    Family Portrait
    Siblings and Spouses
    Mom's first ride
    Want a copy of my valve adjust spreadsheet for your 2-valve per cylinder engine? Send me an e-mail request (not a PM)
    (Click on my username in the upper-left corner for e-mail info.)

Comment

UThanks, Steve, this is what I get for typing this morning without coffee.
      What I mean to question was the vent hose, or so I thought it was called, that comes off the gas tank. Obviously not the two hoses that come off the petcock, I realize those are for fuel and vacuum.
      I assumed the hose on the gas tank that was above/in front of the petcock was an overflow hose. Did I make a colossal newb mistake when I removed my carbs for cleaning, and reassemble it wrong -- meaning does that hose actually connect to something?

More info to add - The hose is connected to the gas tank, and is not one of the two hoses from the petcock, so I fed it down assuming it was an overflow hose, and this is indeed the one that has the steady, meaning a drop every minute to two, slow drip.
      Last edited by Guest; 05-31-2013, 01:59 AM. Reason: More info

Comment

Greetings and Salutations!!

Hi Mr. _Scotty_,

Start here: Where Do These Hoses Go?

And continue with your "mega-welcome".

If you are here you probably have a 30 year old motorcycle that needs about 20 years worth of maintenance. In the links below you'll find maintenance lists, documentation, wiring diagrams, "how to" guides, vendor links, tips, tricks, and a whole lot of GS goodness. This is your "mega-welcome". Let's get started.

Let me dump a TON of information on you and share some GS lovin'.

I just stopped by to welcome you to the forum in my own, special way.

If there's anything you'd like to know about the Suzuki GS model bikes, and most others actually, you've come to the right place. There's a lot of knowledge and experience here in the community. Come on in and let me say "HOoooowwwDY!"....

Here is your very own magical, mystical, mythical, mind-expanding "mega-welcome". Please take notice of the "Top 10 Common Issues", "Top 15 Tips For GS Happiness", the Carb Cleanup Series, and the Stator Papers. All of these tasks must be addressed in order to have a safe, reliable machine. This is what NOT to do: Top 10 Newbie Mistakes. Now let me roll out the welcome mat for you...

Please Click Here For Your Mega-Welcome, chock full of tips, suggestions, links to vendors, and other information. Then feel free to visit my little BikeCliff website where I've been collecting the wisdom of this generous community. Don't forget, we like pictures! Not you, your bike!

More links to helpful threads in the forum:
        Help! Your Bike Won't Start
        DON'T DO THESE THINGS
        Help! Your Bike Won't Run Well
        Oh God! Pods!

Thanks for joining us. Keep us informed.

Thank you for your indulgence,

BassCliff
        Last edited by Guest; 05-30-2013, 11:47 PM.

Comment

If the hose you're talking about goes up underneath the tank and connects to a large round metal roundish thing up there, that's the drain hose for the fuel level sending unit. It should not be connected to anything on the other end.

This hose should not normally have any gas in it. If it does, that means a seal inside the fuel level sender is leaking. You'll have to fix it. But I freely admit I don't know exactly how... probably a matter of draining the tank and taking everything apart to see what's gone bad and going from there. Probably someone else who's had this problem before will chime in.
          Charles
          --
          1979 Suzuki GS850G

Read BassCliff's GSR Greeting and Mega-Welcome!

Comment

eil is correct!!

there should be NO GAS coming from here.. you need to STOP and find the source of this leak, as it is not safe.

the hose and 'funnel' thing is designed to route any gas leak from the sending unit to behind the motor, away from hot exhaust and such. !!!!!

Comment

Yep, the prvious two posts are absolutely correct.

There is no "overflow" tube on your carbs OR your tank.

If you are experiencing dripping from that tube, PARK THE BIKE.

Drain the tank, remove it from the bike.
              Remove the "funnel" that the hose is attached to.
              Remove the fuel level sender, but be careful. You will have to twist that sucker around and snake it out. You will swear that it won't make it, but it will finally come out.
              Replace the gasket. Re-assemble everything, fill the tank, check for leaks.
              Put the tank back on the bike, go for a well-deserved ride.

sigpic
              Family Portrait
              Siblings and Spouses
              Mom's first ride
              Want a copy of my valve adjust spreadsheet for your 2-valve per cylinder engine? Send me an e-mail request (not a PM)

Comment

Thank you for calrifying the issue for me, folks.

I pulled the tank this morning, took a look, and this is the Frankenstein result, ugh:
                Last edited by Guest; 05-31-2013, 11:01 AM. Reason: Bekaws i kant spehl

Comment

Originally posted by _Scotty_ View Post
                  I changed the title of the thread to reflect the correct issue, thank you for calrifying it for me, folks.

I pulled the tank this morning, took a look, and this is the Frankenstein result, ugh:
                  Good lord what a hack job. Park the bike and fix this mess. Order the new rubber gaskets right now! inspect the tank around where the sending unit mounts (cracks, bends, dents etc), make sure the PO or who ever did this didn't mess up the tank in some way.
                  sigpicMrBill Been a GSR member on and off since April 2002
                  1980 GS 750E Bought new in Feb of 1980
                  2015 CAN AM RTS

Stuff I've done to my bike:dancing: 1100E front end with new Sonic springs, 1100E swing arm conversion with new Progressive shocks installed, 530 sprockets/chain conversion, new SS brake lines, new brake pads. New SS fasteners through out. Rebuilt carbs, new EBC clutch springs and horn installed. New paint. Motor runs strong.

Comment

The bike is parked, folks. I wouldn't be driving it around with it leaking fuel everywhere.

Any recommendations on where to purchase the gaskets from?

Comment

Have you gotten your Welcome Package from BassCliff?

Read it, there are several vendors listed there. Some of the favorites (in no particular order) are Boulevard Suzuki, G&S Suzuki, Z1 Enterprises.

sigpic
                      Family Portrait
                      Siblings and Spouses
                      Mom's first ride

Comment

Ooops, maybe I should read a bit more closely. Thanks, Steve.

Comment

Hi,

If you have a look at my Evapo-Rust tank cleaning document you will see disassembly and reassembly procedures for the fuel gauge level send unit.

BassCliff

Comment

Originally posted by BassCliff View Post
                            Hi,

If you have a look at my Evapo-Rust tank cleaning document you will see disassembly and reassembly procedures for the fuel gauge level send unit.

BassCliff
                            Thanks, Basscliff, I started going over your document a bit ago, it's great information. I ordered both of the gaskets off of Carolina Cycles Centers website, so hopefully I can rebuild this ugly beast of a fuel send unit soon.
                            Last edited by Guest; 05-31-2013, 01:44 PM.

Comment

I have the two rubber seals you would need to fix this.

I have just completed a leak fix on my '82 650. I ordered the gaskets from G&S suzuki, but they ended up taking like 3 weeks, so I ordered another from bikebandit, and it came in a few days.

I believe I actually fixed two gas leaks in that area. To be clear: There is a rubber seal that goes behind the fuel sender where that orange gunk is showing in your picture. Also, after replacing my torn and battered rubber seal, I still had a gas leak, and realized it was coming from the electrical connection on the back of the fuel sender. I had read somewhere on this forum that someone else had this issue and used epoxy putty to fix this. I happened to have some epoxy putty in the garage, so I rolled up a ball of it and completely covered the area that the electrical connection comes out of the fuel sending unit. After letting it cure for a full day, I filled the tank up, and I don't have leaks anymore!

Comment

Working...
                              X