Replacement carburetors for '82 650

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Replacement carburetors for '82 650

Ok. I had two of the four carburetors with cemented in air screws. Trying to drill them out proved disastrous. I need new/replacement carbs for this bike. Does anybody know where to get some or what else works?

Hi,

Check the Parts Wanted and Parts for Sale sections of the GSR forum. A rack of carbs can be found on eBay if you're patient. I think you pretty much have to use a rack off of another GS650 because of the spacing.

Thank you for your indulgence,

BassCliff

Comment

How "disastrous" ? any pics? be warned that a set of ebay carbs might have air screws has frozen in as yours. You need to be patient/careful attacking these things.
      1981 gs650L

"We are all born ignorant, but you have to work hard to stay stupid" Ben Franklin

Comment

Must be REALLY "disasterous", because those carbs don't have "air screws".

Also, if you are only looking for the two carbs, we need to know which ones they are.
        Each of the four carbs is unique, you can not move them around in the rack.

Last edited by Steve; 05-31-2013, 08:30 AM.
        sigpic
        mine: 2000 Honda GoldWing GL1500SE and 1980 GS850G'K' "Junior"
        hers: 1982 GS850GL - "Angel" and 1969 Suzuki T250 Scrambler
        #1 son: 1986 Yamaha Venture Royale 1300 and 1982 GS650GL "Rat Bagger"
        #2 son: 1980 GS1000G
        Family Portrait
        Siblings and Spouses
        Mom's first ride
        Want a copy of my valve adjust spreadsheet for your 2-valve per cylinder engine? Send me an e-mail request (not a PM)
        (Click on my username in the upper-left corner for e-mail info.)

Comment

I thought they were called air screws on the carb cleanup tutorial on this and Basscliff's page. And it was bad. Real bad. I would like a rack of carbs off a running bike (wouldn't we all) but its carbs 1 and 3. Anybody else get ticked off how rare parts can be? You could build an '82 Yamaha xs650 by mail order!

Comment

Originally posted by Winterstein182 View Post
            I thought they were called air screws on the carb cleanup tutorial on this and Basscliff's page.
            If you followed John Bloemer's tutorial, yes, they were called "air screws". If you followed Nessism's tutorial (which is much better-written), they are called "pilot screws". I believe the factory manual simply calls them "pilot screws". Personally, I would call them by what they controlled, which is a MIXTURE. I have seen them called "idle mixture adjustment screws" in other tutorials.

Regardless of what you call them, they do control how much of a pre-set mixture is admitted to the air stream that is headed toward the engine. As you admit more of this mixture, you richen the system, overall. The distinction is necessary because the older VM-series carbs do have separate pilot fuel screws and pilot air screws to control the overall pilot mixture. The newer BS-series carbs use fixed jets to pre-set the mixture, then a screw to control how much of that mixture goes to the engine.

Sorry you mangled your screws, but there are many examples of how to remove ones that are stuck.

Originally posted by Winterstein182 View Post
            Anybody else get ticked off how rare parts can be? You could build an '82 Yamaha xs650 by mail order!
            You just don't know where to shop.

You can also build a GS my mail order.

sigpic
            mine: 2000 Honda GoldWing GL1500SE and 1980 GS850G'K' "Junior"
            hers: 1982 GS850GL - "Angel" and 1969 Suzuki T250 Scrambler
            #1 son: 1986 Yamaha Venture Royale 1300 and 1982 GS650GL "Rat Bagger"
            #2 son: 1980 GS1000G
            Family Portrait
            Siblings and Spouses
            Mom's first ride
            Want a copy of my valve adjust spreadsheet for your 2-valve per cylinder engine? Send me an e-mail request (not a PM)
            (Click on my username in the upper-left corner for e-mail info.)

Comment

We can get the idle mixtrue screws out for you unless you've broken an easy (never) out in there, broke the carb body and/or ruined the threads.
              1983 GS 1100E w/ 1230 kit, .340 lift Web Cams, Ape heavy duty valve springs, 83 1100 head with 1.5mm oversized SS intake valves, 1150 crank, Vance and Hines 1150 SuperHub, Star Racing high volume oil pump gears, 36mm carebs Dynojet stage 3 jet kit, Posplayr's SSPB, Progressive rear shocks and fork springs, Dyna 2000, Dynatek green coils and Vance & Hines 4-1 exhaust.
              1985 GS1150ES stock with 85 Red E bodywork.

Comment

Thank you. I will go tell them they are pilot screws and that new carbs are available from some unknown place. That'll fix everything.

Comment

Put a posting in the parts wanted section for BS 32 carbs # 1 &3....
                  Bring it back to the top every few day so it stays at the top of the parts wanted list by adding a new comment to the thread saying " still looking" or similar.
                  You can ask for just carb bodies or with all the guts.
                  Someone will hook you up. There are lots of those carbs out here.
                  E bay is a great source for GS parts buy beware every seller opinion of " great condition" differs.
                  One sure parts supplier I always use is Boulevard Suzuki aka Deland .
                  All OEM parts at great prices ....shipping costs marginal.
                  Best bet for the carbs would be from a member here though.
                  Let me know if I can help in any other way.

**edit- I'm not sure about the spacing thing like Cliff mentioned...that may be true.
                  Last edited by Guest; 05-31-2013, 01:48 PM.

Comment

I have 1&3 carb bodies that you need.
                    I can get them in the mail to you as soon as you'd like.
                    1983 GS 1100E w/ 1230 kit, .340 lift Web Cams, Ape heavy duty valve springs, 83 1100 head with 1.5mm oversized SS intake valves, 1150 crank, Vance and Hines 1150 SuperHub, Star Racing high volume oil pump gears, 36mm carebs Dynojet stage 3 jet kit, Posplayr's SSPB, Progressive rear shocks and fork springs, Dyna 2000, Dynatek green coils and Vance & Hines 4-1 exhaust.

Comment

Originally posted by chef1366 View Post
                      I have 1&3 carb bodies that you need.
                      I can get them in the mail to you as soon as you'd like.
                      Chef, you are always there to help............Tooooo Cool!!!

Comment

Yep, chef is THE MAN!

Comment

Thanks chef! I like people who say what can happen now, not what should have happened or putting a man down for trying. Just curious, would you have the full rack? It'd be sweet to have a spare set to keep at the ready. I can't stand not having my bike on the road.

Comment

Also thanks to loud et, another man of action.

Comment

I sent you a PM

Comment

Working...
                              X