Jetting question

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Jetting question

So I've been jacking around with my 82 550L for the last year trying to get it jetted right. I bought a 6 sigma jet kit and finally got it started! The 1 and 4 carbs have 107.5 mains and the 2 and 3 have 110's. Btw I have 2 k&n 2into 1 filters on the carbs. It only came with the main jets. I'm at 2 turns out on the screws. It also idles at 2500 3000. When I back the idle screw off it dies. Can't seem to get the idle any lower without it dying. Do I need to replace the slow jets as well? If so what size should I try?

Hi,

You probalby need to raise the jet needles too. I'm not familiar with that jet kit. Does it come with slotted needles? You probably need to turn out the idle mixture screws some more too, at least 3 turns.

If your kit did not come with slotted needles then you will have to shim the needles to raise them a bit. You'll find info about that on my website or just search the forum. It has been discussed literally 1000's of times.

The Dynojet kit is the favorite around here.

Thank you for your indulgence,

BassCliff

Comment

Forgot to say that. It didn't come with slotted needles but it came with washers to raise them.I used the 3 washers per carb they sent. They also sent plastic spacers that are a little thicker than the 3 washers combined. I will check your web site more. Thanks

Comment

Let's go back to Square One and start with the basics.

Have you cleaned the carbs and replaced the o-rings?
        If you haven't, there is no need for further discussion until you do.
        If you have, it's merely a matter of adjustments.

How were the needles assembled?
        Specifically, what is the order of washers, spacers and clip, starting at the blunt end of the needle?

Your idle issues are probably due to insufficient fuel in the pilot circuits. Soaking the carbs in the recommeneded "dip" will clean them out.
        When the carbs are clean and re-assembled, start with the mixture screws three turns out, then adjust from there when the bike is warm.
        You will also need to sync the carbs, which requires a special (not cheap) tool.

How is the rest of the basic maintenance?
        Have you adjusted the valves within the last 3000 miles?

Let me know if you need help, I am close enough to do so and have all the necessary tools.

sigpic
        mine: 2000 Honda GoldWing GL1500SE and 1980 GS850G'K' "Junior"
        hers: 1982 GS850GL - "Angel" and 1969 Suzuki T250 Scrambler
        #1 son: 1986 Yamaha Venture Royale 1300 and 1982 GS650GL "Rat Bagger"
        #2 son: 1980 GS1000G
        Family Portrait
        Siblings and Spouses
        Mom's first ride
        Want a copy of my valve adjust spreadsheet for your 2-valve per cylinder engine? Send me an e-mail request (not a PM)
        (Click on my username in the upper-left corner for e-mail info.)

Comment

Steve, I have dipped and put in new orings. Got the kit from, I think, cycle orings. Let me go way back. I got this bike 2 years ago. PO said he parked it for the winter and it didn't start come spring. It had a bad petcock. Replaced that. Then I found this site and did the carb dip and put back all stock jets. Everyone one here said it would not run right or even start without the breather. They were right. I never had a breather. So I bought the k&n's. Then i bought different sized jets, then the 6 sigma jet kit. This past Wednesday was the first time I ever heard it run. About the previous maintenance. I have know idea. Valves adjusted? Not by me. I have not attempted that. I am 42 and new to working on anything. Just for me to get it started was hugh.
          I have the screws at 2 1/2 out. I will try 3 and proceed from there. Thanks for your help.

Comment

The washers and spacers on the jet needle, how exactly are they positioned?

Did you add washers under the clip or above?

And will it idle with the choke on? How about with the choke off and the engine fully warmed up?
            http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v5...tatesMap-1.jpg

Life is too short to ride an L.

Comment

The washers were put on the underside of needle per instructions. They said it would need to be richer. I choked it and it fired up. It was running about 4200 rpm. Backed the choke off and it dropped to 2700 or so. I then turned the idol adjustment screw. It dropped to 2100 and died. Wouldn't start again. Then reversed the screw and it fired up. Running at 2300. This is where I currently stand.

Comment

Originally posted by tigerfan474 View Post
                The washers were put on the underside of needle per instructions.
                This does nothing but compress the spring farther. You need to remove some spacers above the clip, or use a thinner spacer above the clip, this lets the spring push the needle up a bit higher.
                http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v5...tatesMap-1.jpg

Life is too short to ride an L.

Comment

Working...
                X