Throttle cable install help

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Throttle cable install help

When I opened up the switch cluster to clean my starter button the cable popped out of the twist grip. There are two notches, as you likely know. I need a diagram or clear explanation of exactly how to put humpty back together. I tried to figure it on my own and it did not have full rotation because it started from an open position. I'm looking at the service manual I have but it's not in there. I really ned to order a Haynes.

Of the two notches, choose the one that's furthest away from you when you are sitting on your bike. That's the correct hole. Cable goes in the groove, and the nub on the end of the cable slips into the hole to hold it in place.

Comment

ok, and should the cable "slot" rest in the bottom of the switch box, the top, or does it not matter? I had it in the wrong hole, not first time in my life

Comment

You put the back/bottom half of the two assembly halfs on the bar right up against the grip/throttle rocker.. then you kind of jimmy some slack in the cable while you're holding it there so it will lay in that groove, and fiddle the wee little cylinder into the hole. Once you screw the front/top half of the assembly onto the back, it holds the whole thing in place. Yes there is a groove in the switch box that mates with a "fin" on the throttle rocker.. so to speak, that enables the whole mess to be held together by a couple of screws. For an excellent photo with instructions, go to Basscliifs website, and right at the top there are a number of free downloadable manuals. I use the one for the 1980 GS850G and the page number is 195. There is a manual on his list for your bike as well. All will be revealed.
        Last edited by Guest; 05-31-2013, 05:30 PM.

Comment

Yea I got it, my second post was dumb if i was out looking at it the question would have been answered by observation.

Thats the manual I have, just wasn't finding it.

Comment

Working...
          X