Help!!!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

ok

I installed the jet kit because the bike would not accelerate past 5000 rpm it would break up i fond that the jets were under the factory size. The modifications to the bike are a K&N factor replacement filter and a kerker K series 4 into 1 exhaust. bike only has 3000 miles on it so i dont think the valves would be out of spec yet.

Comment

3000 mi sounds great! I have a 1995 GSF 600 S w/33000 mi showing on the clock.It is really about 38000 mi,I rode the machine with a broken speedo cable for an entire season once Easy to disconnect them also.Not saying your clock mi are not accurate though.Please post pic of your machine when time allows,thanks.
      Last edited by Guest; 06-01-2013, 06:18 PM. Reason: spelling

Comment

Check the valves already.

This bike \/ is way too pretty to be parted out because someone neglected basic maintenance and burned the valves up.

Not sure about your 550, probably more often if anything....

My manual for the 82 1100E calls for the first one at 600 miles, then 4,000 miles. Then 7,500, 11,000, and 15,000 miles.
        Last edited by tkent02; 06-01-2013, 06:54 PM.
        http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v5...tatesMap-1.jpg

Life is too short to ride an L.

Comment

pis

pic for you guys

Originally posted by elrico View Post
          3000 mi sounds great! I have a 1995 GSF 600 S w/33000 mi showing on the clock.It is really about 38000 mi,I rode the machine with a broken speedo cable for an entire season once Easy to disconnect them also.Not saying your clock mi are not accurate though.Please post pic of your machine when time allows,thanks.

Comment

ok

i will check the valves but i know thats not the problem because before i did the jetting if you put the choke on allowing extra fuel to flow the miss went away. i think the bike is going to a shop next week because im tired of screwing with it i tried every way i know today to get it adjusted right and it seems like i just cant get there. is there anyone here who has actually installed this jet kit on these specific carbs before i had some questions for that person?

Comment

Sell it to me instead.

Comment

Originally posted by countrycummins99 View Post
                I... bike only has 3000 miles on it so i dont think the valves would be out of spec yet.
                Why do you think the bikes came from the factory with a "First Service at 600 miles" sticker on them?

i will check the valves but i know thats not the problem ...
                If you have not checked them, how can you know?

i think the bike is going to a shop next week because im tired of screwing with it ...
                Good luck. Your bike is probably older than any "mechanic" at the shop. Also, most shops have a "10-year rule". Anything older than 10 years old is not allowed in the door. There is just too much chance that something is rusted and will break when they work on it, and the repair will easily exceed the bike's book value.

... im tired of screwing with it i tried every way i know today to get it adjusted right and it seems like i just cant get there.
                Did you try what was suggested above? There were some very good suggestions, have not seen any reports except "i tried every way i know". Have you tried any of the ways that we know? (and suggested)

sigpic
                mine: 2000 Honda GoldWing GL1500SE and 1980 GS850G'K' "Junior"
                hers: 1982 GS850GL - "Angel" and 1969 Suzuki T250 Scrambler
                #1 son: 1986 Yamaha Venture Royale 1300 and 1982 GS650GL "Rat Bagger"
                #2 son: 1980 GS1000G
                Family Portrait
                Siblings and Spouses
                Mom's first ride
                Want a copy of my valve adjust spreadsheet for your 2-valve per cylinder engine? Send me an e-mail request (not a PM)
                (Click on my username in the upper-left corner for e-mail info.)

Comment

Again, sell it to me.

Comment

check your rubber diaphragm it sounds like you have a small hole or rip in them
                    My stable
                    84 GSX1100EFG-10.62 @ 125 mph 64'' W/B.
                    85 GS1150-9.72@146mph stock W/B.
                    88 GSXR1100-dragbike 9.18@139.92mph/5.68@118mph.
                    98 Bandit 1200-9.38@146mph/6.02@121mph.
                    90 Suzuki GS 1425cc FBG Pro Stock chassis 5.42@124mph
                    06 GSXR750 10.44@135mph
                    00 Honda elite 80 pit bike

Comment

ok

new orings are on the way from cycle oring as well as intake orings i will be checking the valve clearances when i get home anyone know whee to get stock pilot jets from

Comment

new orings are on the way from cycle oring as well as intake orings i will be checking the valve clearances when i get home anyone know whee to get stock pilot jets from
                        yep, Suzuki. try your local dealer, or an on line stockist
                        1978 GS1085.

Just remember, an opinion without 3.14 is just an onion!

Comment

Your machine appears to be a fine example of it's vintage.It's sometimes not so much the miles but as much or more the age of 30 yrs. sitting around.The atmosphere is tough on everything.Many unseen problems caused by plain old aging.Any how don't despair .I (WE) feel you can overcome these ,most or any of your GS shortcomings.Believe me ,as was also said:you need to be the one working on the GS or co-opting with trusted others.Go back to stock and basics your best route.If you live in SE Mi area let me know,I would take a look see w/you on situation.But these great folks on GSR,your manual(s),time, study and efforts can win the day.Hang tough...
                          Last edited by Guest; 06-02-2013, 09:40 AM. Reason: Spelling

Comment

Update

Replaced pilot jets with new stock #35 replaced all o-rings in carbs vacuum tuned them set mixture screws to two turns out also replaced all o-rings between the carb boots and the head set the float height to the manual spec of 20.5mm bike starts perfect and runs great BUT it breaks up around 6500 rpm but if you get past it then the high jets kick in and it runs fine again so it my guess that i have to move the needles up a hair to get a little more fuel? any suggestions welcome

Comment

Breaks up around 6,500, but at what throttle opening?

Comment

I

I would say its about two thirds to to three quarters

Comment

Working...
                                X