GS1000 VM Carb Choke Problem

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

GS1000 VM Carb Choke Problem

Hi, I have stripped and rebuilt my carbs with new seals / jets etc but having issues with choke. Seems to work on cylinders 3/4 for a couple of seconds then dies, cylinders 1/2 the choke does not seem to be working as the down pipes are cold.

Any idea's?

Cheers

are these the ones you soldered the damaged choke tubes? i suggest you doubly check the tubes are completely clear and refitted correctly. there is a TINY hole at the bottom of those tubes that could easily be blocked by even a drop of solder flux
    1978 GS1085.

Just remember, an opinion without 3.14 is just an onion!

Comment

Agemax, it is the same problem as before, soldering the tubes made no difference.

Regards

Comment

but have you checked if the tubes are clear? have you checked the internal passages for the choke in the carbs are clear?
        1978 GS1085.

Comment

I did check all the passages before and that all the tubes were clear, just got the carbs off and will re-check, will get back to you later

Cheers

Comment

Have you tried swapping the plugs around?
            79 GS1000S
            79 GS1000S (another one)
            80 GSX750
            80 GS550
            80 CB650 cafe racer
            75 PC50 - the one with OHV and pedals...
            75 TS100 - being ridden (suicidally) by my father

Comment

I am a bit embarrassed, found the passages in the float bowls for the choke almost blocked, trying to clean them now, I hope this fixes the problem.

Comment

Originally posted by madreg View Post
                I am a bit embarrassed, found the passages in the float bowls for the choke almost blocked, trying to clean them now, I hope this fixes the problem.
                thats why we keep telling you to check things over again. you may think we are nagging or not helping much but it proves in the end we know.
                when someone says they have cleaned the carbs, chances are they haven't done it properly.

never mind, you live and learn. hopefully it will cure your problem now
                1978 GS1085.

Comment

Aye, will listen more in the future

Comment

All, just to let you know choke works perfectly now, thanks for all the advice and nagging ;-)

I must have spent nearly 8 hours in total cleaning the carbs but in the end it was worth it.

Comment

real bad choke tubes or pilot jets can be tough to clear. i just had to redo set because the chokes werent clear. the second time, checked eqch one with a piece of COPPER wire before calling it done.
                      Yamaha fz1 2007

Comment

Working...
                      X