Throttle connection at carbs

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Throttle connection at carbs

Been struggling to get my carbs reconnected to the airbox for awhile. Finally got that done a couple days ago but I forgot to reconnect the throttle cable before I got everything else hooked up. Am I screwed? It doesn't look like I have enough space between the intake boot and connector.

Thoughts? Suggestions? I really don't want to have to fight with the airbox again. That took way too long (no I still don't want to do pods).

At wits end here...

Look at the bright side, you will be smarter next time.

Life is too short to ride an L.

Comment

Originally posted by tkent02 View Post
      Look at the bright side, you will be smarter next time.
      On this, perhaps, but I'm sure it'll be something else next time.

I can see why some people start these kind of projects and bail though. My pride isn't letting me though, calling me a p*$$y and telling me to get back into the garage.

Comment

You might be able to get it on if you can pull the throttle all the way up on the carbs (easier if have second person to hold up) and get pair of long needle nose pliers and you can loop the cable into grove and get end into hole at bottom of throttle. It's not easy but I did it once or twice when I forgot too. terrylee

Comment

Well I got it. I did have to pull the airbox bolt and screws to push the carbs off the intake boots so I could get it. Luckily it wasn't as bad as before to get it reconnected all back up.

I got her running but the throttle is a bit slow. Probably needs lube or replacement (yay!). The idle is a bit too low now, but that should be easy enough to adjust.

Lastly and I'm not sure if this is related to the throttle cable or carbs, but on deceleration or lower RPMs (<2000) it seems a bit jerky. Open the throttle up and she's fine.

Comment

Originally posted by MAJikMARCer View Post

I got her running but the throttle is a bit slow.....

Lastly and I'm not sure if this is related to the throttle cable or carbs, but on deceleration or lower RPMs (<2000) it seems a bit jerky. Open the throttle up and she's fine.
            Did you bench sync them? Plus until you fiddle with idle/air mixture screws, idle and coming off idle will be "jerky"
            1981 gs650L

"We are all born ignorant, but you have to work hard to stay stupid" Ben Franklin

Comment

Originally posted by tom203 View Post
              Did you bench sync them? Plus until you fiddle with idle/air mixture screws, idle and coming off idle will be "jerky"
              They were pretty solid before I started and I didnt mess with the settings while cleaning. I wasn't expecting it to be perfect today. I know it'll need a proper sync still. Still it's not terrible all things considered.

Just have to convince the wife that buying the $100 CarbTune tool is worth it now.

Comment

Just buy her some shoes first.

Life is too short to ride an L.

Comment

They were pretty solid before I started and I didnt mess with the settings while cleaning. I wasn't expecting it to be perfect today. I know it'll need a proper sync still. Still it's not terrible all things considered.

Just have to convince the wife that buying the $100 CarbTune tool is worth it now.
                  You need to borrow some vac gauges and an adjustment tool from someone close by

Comment

On my 750 and all the 1000s, I put the carbs in the holders and tighten the clamps. Then i use hemostats to get the rear (engine side ) throttle cable on.

Next, I lift the throttle linkage and put a small dowel ( about 12 mm ) in to jam the linkage up. This allows me to get the front ( airbox side ) cable into the hole. Set the adjustments and all done.
                    MY BIKES..1977 GS 750 B, 1978 GS 1000 C (X2)
                    1978 GS 1000 E, 1979 GS 1000 S, 1973 Yamaha TX 750, 1977 Kawasaki KZ 650B1, 1975 Honda GL1000 Goldwing, 1983 CB 650SC Nighthawk, 1972 Honda CB 350K4, 74 Honda CB550

NEVER SNEAK UP ON A SLEEPING DOG..NOT EVEN YOUR OWN.

I would rather trust my bike to a "QUACK" that KNOWS how to fix it rather than a book worm that THINKS HE KNOWS how to fix it.

Comment

how did you clean them and not affect the settings? unless you fully stripped and dipped them they aren't clean.

Comment

He is right...without taking the screws out you are not allowing the dip to get fully into all the passages. And the tips and seats for the screws arent clean either.
                        1978 GS 1000 E, 1979 GS 1000 S, 1973 Yamaha TX 750, 1977 Kawasaki KZ 650B1, 1975 Honda GL1000 Goldwing, 1983 CB 650SC Nighthawk, 1972 Honda CB 350K4, 74 Honda CB550

I would rather trust my bike to a "QUACK" that KNOWS how to fix it rather than a book worm that THINKS HE KNOWS how to fix it.

Comment

Sorry, guess this is my ignorance again. I DID disassemble everything based on the carb guides from BassCliffs site.

I guess I should consider myself lucky that the bike is running as well as it is then.

Comment

I f youn did them to his tutorial, then I would be comfortable thinking your good to go. We just didnt see ( or register ) that you HAD gotten all the screws out.

Comment

Working...
                            X