Air box for 1982 GS550

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Air box for 1982 GS550

I have a 1982 GS550l and it is currently missing the plastic air box that connects the carbs to the metal box with the filter. What model years air boxes will fit my bike? Also, If I can't find an original air box, what is the best air filter to buy? I know pods arent great, but are there any other aftermarket filters that work decently?

Greetings and Salutations!!

Hi Mr. c3powil,

Here is the Reader's Digest version of the "mega-welcome".

New Members, CLICK HERE!!

On my website you will find a parts cross-reference tutorial. That's one way to find out what parts from other bikes might fit yours. Otherwise there is the Parts Wanted and Parts for Sale sections of this forum and the eBay. If you decide to go with pod filters get some good ones (K&N, APE, UNI) and not the cheap EMGO units. You will also need to re-jet the carbs if you go that route.

Thank you for your indulgence,

BassCliff

Comment

I have a few 550 air boxes, if you can wait a few weeks.

Life is too short to ride an L.

Comment

Thanks for the welcome and advice BassCliff! I don't want to rejet so I guess I'm going with the stock box.

Tkent02, I may have a few weeks seeing as how I just found out that I'm missing a diaphragm spring! You wouldnt happen to have one of those too would you?

Comment

Yes, I probably have several of them.

Life is too short to ride an L.

Comment

I've got a 650 air box if that would work. Springs too.

Comment

Does anyone know if the stock airbox and air filter housing from a 1980 gs650E would be able to fit into and work with a stock 1982 gs550l?

Comment

Hi,

Have you compared part numbers? From my website:

CLICK HERE to download a PDF guide for the Alpha-Sports site cross-reference.
                (Note: If the newer part numbers return no results, use the older, superseded numbers.)

If the part numbers are not the same the chances are slim. The carbs have different spacing, the frames are different. If you have good fab skills you may be able to modify it to fit.

BassCliff

Comment

I've compared the parts from the website you provided earlier and they aren't the same ones. I was thinking that it might be possible to do if I went ahead and replaced the whole air filter system since the frames seem to be similar.

I have no fab skills whatsoever so modifying the air box isnt possible.

Comment

The 550 and 650 are completely different engines and motorcycles.
                    I would caution about tkent's airboxes, he will need to verify that they fit L models as well as the other models.
                    hey tkent:

Comment

Hi,

Originally posted by koolaid_kid View Post
                      hey tkent:
                      Oh, yeah. Why would Mr. tkent02 have any "L" parts?

BassCliff

Comment

Exactly my point. He should be embarrassed for acknowledging that he has any "L" parts at all. The shame of it.

Comment

Im taking this as a no.

What about an 82 katana 550? The model is MZ and wouldn't show up on the cross reference, but I cant see them being too different.

Comment

Air box for 1982 GS550

Hello,I am in the process of re jetting my carbs for pods and will have my air box not being used off my 82 gs 550L,Let me know if you are still looking

Comment

Working...
                            X