Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Bogging/Dead Spot after Carb Rebuild

1982 GS 1100 E
    Recently had the carbs rebuilt by a fellow GS Member.
    I installed and synced today using Morgan Carbtune Pro, all appear fine on the vacuum gauges.
    When I rode the bike today, there was a dead spoke between 3000-4000 RPM.
    It had lots of hesitation and was not smooth at all in this RPM range.
    Once past this range it appeared to smooth out and accelerate very quickly.

Any idea what this all means?
    Thanks

Double check the float level. Look at the plugs to see if you are lean or rich off idle.

Nic
    83 GS1100ES rebuild:

http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...d.php?t=170032

Budget GSXR Conversion:

http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...d.php?t=200563

New to me bike: 2008 B-KING

Comment

Engine speed means very little when trying to diagnose carb problems.

What is more important is: what was the throttle setting?

It is possible to run betwen 3000 and 4000 RPM with very little throttle, meaning that you will be on the pilot circuit.

You can also be doing a modest acceleration from a light, in which case your half-throttle setting will be showing a problem in the needle circuit.

You could also be trying to get out of someone's way with the throttle wide open, meaning it's your main jets that are the problem.

Skip the RPM, what was the throttle setting?

sigpic
      mine: 2000 Honda GoldWing GL1500SE and 1980 GS850G'K' "Junior"
      hers: 1982 GS850GL - "Angel" and 1969 Suzuki T250 Scrambler
      #1 son: 1986 Yamaha Venture Royale 1300 and 1982 GS650GL "Rat Bagger"
      #2 son: 1980 GS1000G
      Family Portrait
      Siblings and Spouses
      Mom's first ride
      Want a copy of my valve adjust spreadsheet for your 2-valve per cylinder engine? Send me an e-mail request (not a PM)
      (Click on my username in the upper-left corner for e-mail info.)

Comment

It seems to be between 1/4 and 1/2 throttle. Rolling on the throttle entering a curve I noticed it most. There was nothing until nearly half throttle.

Are there any quick things I should be checking before targeting a jet? I.e., vacuum, to much/not enough air, air fuel mixture etc?
        The rebuild was performed by one of our seasoned members so I'd like to eliminate other variables before getting into the càrbs myself.

I replaced the plugs today so I will check them after another ride tomorrow. Note that before the rebuild the bike used to run white hot lean.

Comment

When you put your new plugs in, do some plug chops, you will soon know where your problem is.

The procedure for doing plug chops is on BassCliff's site, if you need some help.

sigpic
          mine: 2000 Honda GoldWing GL1500SE and 1980 GS850G'K' "Junior"
          hers: 1982 GS850GL - "Angel" and 1969 Suzuki T250 Scrambler
          #1 son: 1986 Yamaha Venture Royale 1300 and 1982 GS650GL "Rat Bagger"
          #2 son: 1980 GS1000G
          Family Portrait
          Siblings and Spouses
          Mom's first ride
          Want a copy of my valve adjust spreadsheet for your 2-valve per cylinder engine? Send me an e-mail request (not a PM)
          (Click on my username in the upper-left corner for e-mail info.)

Comment

Sounds like the jet needle isn't on the right position....

Check the spacers above and below the clip.
            http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v5...tatesMap-1.jpg

Life is too short to ride an L.

Comment

I put a DJ kit in it and it's lean on the needle. I followed the instructions but I've noticed that on some 1100s that it is too lean.
              If he can get the needle out and put it on the second up from the bottom he will be golden.
              I told him to send me the slides and I could do it no problem.
              Hard to tune a bike without it being here.
              Last edited by chef1366; 06-03-2013, 02:01 PM.
              1983 GS 1100E w/ 1230 kit, .340 lift Web Cams, Ape heavy duty valve springs, 83 1100 head with 1.5mm oversized SS intake valves, 1150 crank, Vance and Hines 1150 SuperHub, Star Racing high volume oil pump gears, 36mm carebs Dynojet stage 3 jet kit, Posplayr's SSPB, Progressive rear shocks and fork springs, Dyna 2000, Dynatek green coils and Vance & Hines 4-1 exhaust.
              1985 GS1150ES stock with 85 Red E bodywork.

Comment

Thanks chef. I agree it is the needle; although the DJ instructions get you close enough to get the bike started you still have to fine tune it. My GPz is slightly different than their original settings as well.

Comment

I did as Chef instructed and it worked like a charm. This was by far the most satisfying tinkering I have done on my bike so far. The bike has never started or ran better. Thanks for all the help! If you need your carbs rebuilt contact Chef he does great work!

Comment

Working...
                  X