Pipes turning blue is this a problem?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Pipes turning blue is this a problem?

I have been riding my bike and notice the pipes bluing. Is this normal? When I bought the bike they had zero blue on them. I wonder if it is running hot? Is this some thing I should be worried about?

usually a sign of it running too hot due to it being lean. Adding the year and make of the bike in your signature would have given me an indication of what carbs you have and what to turn to help richen the mixture...just sayin.
    MY BIKES..1977 GS 750 B, 1978 GS 1000 C (X2)
    1978 GS 1000 E, 1979 GS 1000 S, 1973 Yamaha TX 750, 1977 Kawasaki KZ 650B1, 1975 Honda GL1000 Goldwing, 1983 CB 650SC Nighthawk, 1972 Honda CB 350K4, 74 Honda CB550

NEVER SNEAK UP ON A SLEEPING DOG..NOT EVEN YOUR OWN.

I would rather trust my bike to a "QUACK" that KNOWS how to fix it rather than a book worm that THINKS HE KNOWS how to fix it.

Comment

Originally posted by rockhammer View Post
      I have been riding my bike and notice the pipes bluing. Is this normal? When I bought the bike they had zero blue on them. I wonder if it is running hot? Is this some thing I should be worried about?
      Yes I would be worried. It is an indicator of your bike running lean. Have you done any mods to the bike since you got it? 4 into 1?
      No signature :(

Comment

Look for air leaks or improper jetting. Are they aftermarket pipes? 4-1 perhaps? Has the airbox been replaced with pods?
        http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v5...tatesMap-1.jpg

Life is too short to ride an L.

Comment

Why oh Why do we always have to repeaatedly ask a million questions about what bike, mods, type of exhaust etc etc.

OK my WTF!!!!!!!! rant is over.
          1978 GS 1000 E, 1979 GS 1000 S, 1973 Yamaha TX 750, 1977 Kawasaki KZ 650B1, 1975 Honda GL1000 Goldwing, 1983 CB 650SC Nighthawk, 1972 Honda CB 350K4, 74 Honda CB550

I would rather trust my bike to a "QUACK" that KNOWS how to fix it rather than a book worm that THINKS HE KNOWS how to fix it.

Comment

blue pipes

I ride 82 gs850 none modified oem pipes. I wonder if I should re check the air box seal. I recently installed a new air filter k and n. I put a very light amount of oil on it. Half the amount that came with the filter. Other than that nothing. If the air box is not sealed right could this cause the problem?

Comment

Originally posted by rockhammer View Post
              I ride 82 gs850 none modified oem pipes. I wonder if I should re check the air box seal. I recently installed a new air filter k and n. I put a very light amount of oil on it. Half the amount that came with the filter. Other than that nothing. If the air box is not sealed right could this cause the problem?
              Yes, could be it. Are the pipes evenly blue, or is one a lot bluer than the others?

Comment

blue pipes

Originally posted by tkent02 View Post
                Yes, could be it. Are the pipes evenly blue, or is one a lot bluer than the others?
                They are even. Right a the bend coming off the engine.

Comment

Maybe the K&N flows enough more air to make the difference. They do come very lean with stock jetting. Adjust the mixture screws correctly (highest idle method) and see if it helps.

You might need to up the jets one size or at least raise the needle a scosh..

Comment

sealing box

I did put some weather stripping on the filter housing before I put it back in. The old seal was beat up silicone falling off. But I am not sure if the weather stripping stayed on. The fit was tight and maybe toward the far end it is not sealed all the way.

Comment

Yes..a tightly sealed air box and non leaking orings in the intake manifolds ( carb holders to some ) will eliminate extra air and make the carbs sip fuel properly.

Float hts too low also can contribute to lean running carbs.

As for what to do. Recheck the airbox sealing. And those K&Ns dont require a heavy oiling..just light as you noted. Over oiled K&Ns will act like its choking an engine and make it too rich..as a "general" rule

Verify where the mixture screws are at. They are on top of the carb throats and at the back behind the top covers. GENTLY seat them in till the stop and then back them out 2 to 2 1/2 turns. I would reverify the float hts as well per the manuals specs.

Comment

carbs

Originally posted by chuck hahn View Post
                        Yes..a tightly sealed air box and non leaking orings in the intake manifolds ( carb holders to some ) will eliminate extra air and make the carbs sip fuel properly.

Float hts too low also can contribute to lean running carbs.

As for what to do. Recheck the airbox sealing. And those K&Ns dont require a heavy oiling..just light as you noted. Over oiled K&Ns will act like its choking an engine and make it too rich..as a "general" rule

Verify where the mixture screws are at. They are on top of the carb throats and at the back behind the top covers. GENTLY seat them in till the stop and then back them out 2 to 2 1/2 turns. I would reverify the float hts as well per the manuals specs.

Wow this sounds a bit complicated but I do have some new vac boot rings coming tomorrow so I guess I can take it apart and do that then. I have never it done it before but I can learn. Before I put the k and n in the old filter was definatly not sealed right. The seal was beat to S and the cover seal was missing. But the bike had no bluing. I sealed the box and the filter housing, swapped out filters and now bluing. Frustrating to say the least. I thought I was improving the bike.

Comment

then put it backm then way it was...LOL

Comment

blue pipes

Here is another symptom that might be related. When the bike as at idle if I rev it the rpms drop and it seems like it wants to die. I have to save it from dieing by giving it a little help with the throttle. This does not happen when I pull up to a red light only if I rev it and then let it drop back down by it self. It does not always turn off either some times the rpms just drop real low and then it comes back up in a few seconds. Could this be related?

Comment

The way it was

Originally posted by chuck hahn View Post
                              then put it backm then way it was...LOL
                              It would be hard to reproduce the terrible disintegrated seal that was on the housing. You are joking right? The air box was not even sealed. It was sucking in air for sure. The cover seals were totally missing.

Comment

Working...
                              X