Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Should I drill my baffles?

Hey fellow GS owners! First post here on this awesome forum

I have a beautiful '83 GS450E that I have been slowly making my own. I chopped out the airbox in favor of UNI foam filters, and wrapped the exhaust. I am currently taking apart the carbs and installing dynojets, and I want to increase the airflow through the exhaust!

Will moderately drilling my baffles increase the airflow/performance or just result in an annoyingly loud GS?

Thanks!!

--Tynan

a search button will show you hundreds of NO's

Comment

Hi Mr. Tydude,

Originally posted by ThrottleBack View Post
      a search button will show you hundreds of NO's
      On no, Mr. ThrottleBack is picking up our bad habits.

That kind of modification is one of those "try it and see" procedures. There is a lot of guesswork in designing your own exhaust, which is essentially what you are doing. Before you destroy your exhaust you might think about saving your mad money and buying an aftermarket "performance" exhaust, a Mac or V&H 2-n-1. The Dynojet kits are designed with that type of exhaust in mind. With a "custom" exhaust there will be more experimentation, testing, and adjustment involved. I can almost guarantee the end results will be "underwhelming" but people like to tinker. So tinker away.

You'll find some pretty good stuff in the links below. It's a "mega-welcome".

If you are here you probably have a 30 year old motorcycle that needs about 20 years worth of maintenance. In the links below you'll find maintenance lists, documentation, wiring diagrams, "how to" guides, vendor links, tips, tricks, and a whole lot of GS goodness. This is your "mega-welcome". Let's get started.

Let me dump a TON of information on you and share some GS lovin'.

I just stopped by to welcome you to the forum in my own, special way.

If there's anything you'd like to know about the Suzuki GS model bikes, and most others actually, you've come to the right place. There's a lot of knowledge and experience here in the community. Come on in and let me say "HOoooowwwDY!"....

Here is your very own magical, mystical, mythical, mind-expanding "mega-welcome". Please take notice of the "Top 10 Common Issues", "Top 15 Tips For GS Happiness", the Carb Cleanup Series, and the Stator Papers. All of these tasks must be addressed in order to have a safe, reliable machine. This is what NOT to do: Top 10 Newbie Mistakes. Now let me roll out the welcome mat for you...

Please Click Here For Your Mega-Welcome, chock full of tips, suggestions, links to vendors, and other information. Then feel free to visit my little BikeCliff website where I've been collecting the wisdom of this generous community. Don't forget, we like pictures! Not you, your bike!

More links to helpful threads in the forum:
      Help! Your Bike Won't Start
      DON'T DO THESE THINGS
      Help! Your Bike Won't Run Well
      Oh God! Pods!

Thanks for joining us. Keep us informed.

Thank you for your indulgence,

BassCliff

Comment

well I'm new and the same thing occured to me but i searched the baffle topic and the answers were all right there

Comment

you know when that car with an obvious exhaust leak passes by? it will sound like it does...crap..

i did drill mine before my 4-1...i thought what do they know its my opinion if it sounds good with drilled baffles...

it costed me 10 bucks to have those holes welded up...i wont ever do it again...

buy a good exhaust for it or leave it stock is my opinion

Comment

Would you say you have been baffled?

I would not drill my pipes

I alos would like to beat the SOB who drilled my current ones.

Noise and nowt for perf increase.
            Mind you I am all stock until it hits the exhausts and the three little holes probaly let nothing out but noise.

Comment

Originally posted by ThrottleBack View Post
              well I'm new and the same thing occured to me but i searched the baffle topic and the answers were all right there

I tried searching several different times. I imagine I'm not used to the way this search functions, but couldn't find any specific answers.

Thanks Basscliff for the great feedback! Just got my carbs apart -- This will be a fun project for the next week. I will probably install the largest jets in the dynojet kit, in the hopes that I can upgrade the exhaust in the next few weeks .

After that, I just have to replace my hot lead... someone stole it off of my wiring harness in the past month

Comment

Agreed, I wouldn't go drilling the stock baffles.

If you want a freer flowing pipe, get yourself an after market 2 to 1 pipe, you will have much better success and it will likely be a lot lighter than the stock pipe too.
                1982 GS450E - The Wee Beastie
                1984 GSX750S Katana 7/11 - Kit Kat - BOTM May 2020

sigpic

450 Refresh thread: https://www.thegsresources.com/_foru...-GS450-Refresh

Katana 7/11 thread: http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...84-Katana-7-11

Comment

Working...
                X