What size jets should I have on my GS

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by spwalker09 View Post
    Yessir I did. The DJ130s (Mikuni equiv. 122.5 according to JetsRUs) mains are recommended for 4-1 + pods. For just pods with stock exhaust, they supply DJ124 jets (in-between Mikini 115 and 117.5). I have the DJ130s installed right now, with the needle clip installed 3rd from the top (DJ recommended is 4th from the top)
    I has a basically stock California 81 GS750EX with stock exhaust and stock pipes. When it has a K&N filter element in the air box (with the top on) it ran a tad lean but ran quite well throughout the RPM range with the stock 112.5 Mikuni mains..

After a rebuild, lap in valves, new rings and split cases I changed out the cams for a 80-82 1100E Intake came that has a little moor lift. It hesitated and wanted more gas, so I dropped in a spare set of DJ 124's (approx 116 Mikuni equiv) and it ran great. This is still with 4:2 stock exhaust and the K&N filter in the box.

I'm wondering why you don't need more main than the DJ 124 with pods and 4:1?

Have you cleaned those pods and go light on the oil? Pods make the biggest diff as Steve relayed.

For example on the GS1100E 16V when going to pods and pipe the stock Mikuni 110-112.5 are bumped up to about 132 or more likely 138 DJ mains.
    Last edited by posplayr; 06-05-2013, 05:04 PM.

Comment

I posted earlier looking for some ballpark jetting advice but nothing so far...
      You are lucky you got some answers. Usually, hijacking someone else's thread gets everybody all confused as to which one they are addressing.

sigpic
      mine: 2000 Honda GoldWing GL1500SE and 1980 GS850G'K' "Junior"
      hers: 1982 GS850GL - "Angel" and 1969 Suzuki T250 Scrambler
      #1 son: 1986 Yamaha Venture Royale 1300 and 1982 GS650GL "Rat Bagger"
      #2 son: 1980 GS1000G
      Family Portrait
      Siblings and Spouses
      Mom's first ride
      Want a copy of my valve adjust spreadsheet for your 2-valve per cylinder engine? Send me an e-mail request (not a PM)
      (Click on my username in the upper-left corner for e-mail info.)

Comment

Originally posted by Steve View Post
        You are lucky you got some answers. Usually, hijacking someone else's thread gets everybody all confused as to which one they are addressing.

Didn't mean to hijack, I was merely interested in peoples' suggestions relevant to the OP, who is running the same year, model, and mods

Comment

Didn't mean to hijack, I was merely interested in peoples' suggestions relevant to the OP, who is running the same year, model, and mods
          he does have a point there Steve. as it is the same year and model bike, why not join in. if he started a new thread the only answers he would get would be "check out the other thread, he has exactly the same bike as you"........
          1978 GS1085.

Just remember, an opinion without 3.14 is just an onion!

Comment

Hey I have a 85 gs 700 with kinda cheap k&n nock offs and factory exhaust. I have the main jets at 130 and I bumped the secondary (smaller one) to 40 and the bike still seams to be running lean. It still takes starting fluid to get going and runs better when your hands are over the carbs and as it heats up. So does anyone have a jetting recommendation for this situation?

Comment

Yep, junk those cheap pods and buy some decent ones like K&N or APE.
              1978 GS1085.

Just remember, an opinion without 3.14 is just an onion!

Comment

Working...
              X