• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Fuel in oil GS650G

Hi

New guy from Norway, my first bike and having some problems with it
    Hope someone can help me and please my english is not that good

I got a 1985 GS650G, I have a problem with gas in oil, and this mixture is coming out the drain at the bottom of the airfilter box.
    Took a repkit on the carbs yesterday but no luck.

It runs smooth when it is in neutral, 1 gear and 2 second, but in the rest it cuts down to 3 cylinder.
    Change the oil yesterday also, and now it is below the L mark.
    Also I used almost halv a tank petrol during the little trip, when i stopped i noticed that it came some drop out of the drainhose at the bottom of the airbox.

Any ideas??
    Last edited by Guest; 06-09-2013, 07:39 AM.

Welcome! Don't run the bike at all if gas in oil! Sounds like you need to rebuild carbs. (need to do that anyway if you haven't), also may need new float needle valves in carbs, they may not be shutting off gas to carbs when they should. Also may need new petcock, if it's not working properly it can allow too much gas to flow into carbs. Be sure it's not set on "prime" all the time, want it set to "On". Basscliff should be along soon with a welcome. His site will have most of the info. you need. Get "how to" on carb. rebuild on there. Lots of maintance to do before it will be ready to ride. terrylee

Comment

I'm not sure I understand you ? In one statement you say you have gas in your oil and in another you say your oil level is low.
      So if you have gas in your oil it may be the petcock. Make sure the petcock is in the run position, the vacuum line is on and disconnect the fuel line. If any fuel at all is dripping out, your petcock needs replacing.
      Needless to say don't run it until you have solved the problem.
      Also when you have. Change the oil, run it for 80 km or so, then change the oil and filter again.
      Old age and treachery will beat youth and skill every time
      Originally Posted by Schweisshund I mean, sure, guns were used in some of these mass shootings, but not all of them
      1983 GS 750

Comment

Thanks for quick reply

I have changed the float needle in all 4 carbs, the only thing that I have not changed is a o-ring that was in the carb repkit. Don`t konow where it is located.

The rep-kit contained the bottom seal, float needle, float needle housing with the o-ring, sealing for the drain screw and a "larger" o-ring.
        The last one i don`t know where it is located in the carbs.

Don`t want to screw so much on this self yet, because I have to little experience with this

A friend of my had a possible soultion for this problem is worn pistonrings, I hope not

Comment

Originally posted by bccap View Post
          I'm not sure I understand you ? In one statement you say you have gas in your oil and in another you say your oil level is low.
          So if you have gas in your oil it may be the petcock. Make sure the petcock is in the run position, the vacuum line is on and disconnect the fuel line. If any fuel at all is dripping out, your petcock needs replacing.
          Needless to say don't run it until you have solved the problem.
          Also when you have. Change the oil, run it for 80 km or so, then change the oil and filter again.
          So sorry about my english again, havent been using it for almost 20 years :P

The oil/gas mixture is coming out of the drainhose at the bottom of the airfilterbox, seems like is overpressure at the bottom of the engine pressing the oil out the drain.

At the back of the fuel"handle" there are 2 outlet? one is missing a hose, where to put that?
          Also the fuelvalve is always set on PRI, if it is set in ON there is no gas coming out.

Comment

Larger outlet is for gas, smaller one is for vacum which should be attached to carb outlet. It may only be working on prime because you have to have vacum in order to get gas down to carbs. when set to "On" or "reserve" from the petcock. If you check out Basscliff's site ther should be pics. on where to connect everything. If you did not strip and soak carbs, you'll need to do that to get it running properly. terrylee
            Last edited by Guest; 06-09-2013, 08:36 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by Ronnyr82 View Post
              So sorry about my english again, havent been using it for almost 20 years :P

The oil/gas mixture is coming out of the drainhose at the bottom of the airfilterbox, seems like is overpressure at the bottom of the engine pressing the oil out the drain.

At the back of the fuel"handle" there are 2 outlet? one is missing a hose, where to put that?
              Also the fuelvalve is always set on PRI, if it is set in ON there is no gas coming out.
              As Terrylee says, your vacuum line is missing. There should be no gas coming out in the on position unless the engine is running. If you have left the bike parked with the petcock in the prime position, that is more than likely the reason you have gas in your oil. Check on Basscliffs site for " where do those hoses go " { I think? I'm going from memory here }
              Old age and treachery will beat youth and skill every time
              Originally Posted by Schweisshund I mean, sure, guns were used in some of these mass shootings, but not all of them
              1983 GS 750

Comment

I found the hose going to the petcock vakum and the carbs, it`s connected now.
                I have drained all the oil out now, running to the gas station and buy the worlds most expensive oil. 1 liter costs about 20$ here, damn goverment

I`ll be posting updates here and maybe more questions if this does not solve the problem.

Comment

Make sure to test for correct petcock operation, or you'll be buying more oil real soon!
                  I'm curious- what is the engine number stamped on your crankcase (right behind clutch actuating arm ) ?
                  1981 gs650L

"We are all born ignorant, but you have to work hard to stay stupid" Ben Franklin

Comment

yuck!!!! the wolfbain of every UJM owner.

Comment

It still has the same problem, it gives up in 3rd gear.
                      Have now test the ON position on fuelvalve and it works. But I still think is overflows with fuel.
                      It`s dripping out of the drain hose from airbox, it smells a bit like gas but seems like oil, but I`m not sure, my nose is not the best at this time of the year.

Engine code is : GS650G 146266

It only runs in 3 cylinders when I "push" it abit. But when I slow down it runs good.

I have been cleaning all the carbs, but afraid to screw on the wrong screws so I have to send it in to a sync or factory ground settings.

Comment

In lack of experience, I had to put the GS to a local dealer to get it fixed.
                        They could not estimate when it is finished, but at least 14 days.
                        Full rebuild of the carbs and a comp test is up now

I`ll post updates when I know whats causing the problems.

Comment

I was not aware they carried on the 650 until the 85 model year. That's good information if it is true.

If oil is $20 a litre, I cannot imagine how much a service trip is going to cost you. Hopefully the mechanic to whom you took your 650G is the oldest mechanic in town, and hasn't had a new vehicle in 30 years...

Let's have some pics of the larger o-ring, and the bike in general so we know what we can see what we are talking about. Why don't you pop over to the "Owners" forum, and introduce yourself to the GSR. You can also add a signature, avatar, and location in the User CP (control panel)/settings in the upper left corner of this page.

Welcome to the GSR.
                          '83 GS650G
                          '83 GS550es (didn't like the colours in the 80's, but they've grown on me)

Comment

This is very likely a leaky petcock, flowing fuel to #2 carb maybe even when off, washing down into crankcase, overfilling it and then blowing gas/oil out into airbox where it drips out drain hose. It would run very poorly like this. Make sure you get new petcock with all the work you're having done.

Thanks for engine number- mine (made in 80) is 104540; seems like yours should be higher if it's a 1985
                            1981 gs650L

"We are all born ignorant, but you have to work hard to stay stupid" Ben Franklin

Comment

Originally posted by BigD_83 View Post
                              I was not aware they carried on the 650 until the 85 model year. That's good information if it is true.

If oil is $20 a litre, I cannot imagine how much a service trip is going to cost you. Hopefully the mechanic to whom you took your 650G is the oldest mechanic in town, and hasn't had a new vehicle in 30 years...

Let's have some pics of the larger o-ring, and the bike in general so we know what we can see what we are talking about. Why don't you pop over to the "Owners" forum, and introduce yourself to the GSR. You can also add a signature, avatar, and location in the User CP (control panel)/settings in the upper left corner of this page.

Welcome to the GSR.

It`s registered in 1985, but I suspect is older.

4 litre oil cost, about 95$, Norway is filled with oil, but still they robbing us

The mechanic said it will cost me about 450-600$ to get the carbs rebulid and a general check. He is the best in town on old japanese bikes in early 80`s.
                              But I love the bike and then I have to pay the price to get it in shape again!
                              I bought the repairmanual, so I`m up for some reading now

I`ll head over to the owners forum and introduce myself tonight.

I don`t have pictures of the large O-ring now, it`s in a garage to a friend, I`ll post a picture when I got it

Comment

Working...
                              X