Colortune

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Colortune

Thinking about picking one up. Those who use or have used one, is it worth it?
    -Mark
    Boston, MA
    Suck Squeeze Bang Blow..
    sigpic
    1980 GS850G with 79 carbs.....

They're a useful bit of kit.
    79 GS1000S
    79 GS1000S (another one)
    80 GSX750
    80 GS550
    80 CB650 cafe racer
    75 PC50 - the one with OHV and pedals...
    75 TS100 - being ridden (suicidally) by my father

Comment

I have one and works great for me..BUT REMEMBER..all my bikes re VM carbs.

From what I hear from guys that have CV carbs ( and one guy I let use mine with his CVs ) said it doesnt seem to show any color change as you adjust things. So buyer beware if you have CV carbs I guess.
      MY BIKES..1977 GS 750 B, 1978 GS 1000 C (X2)
      1978 GS 1000 E, 1979 GS 1000 S, 1973 Yamaha TX 750, 1977 Kawasaki KZ 650B1, 1975 Honda GL1000 Goldwing, 1983 CB 650SC Nighthawk, 1972 Honda CB 350K4, 74 Honda CB550

NEVER SNEAK UP ON A SLEEPING DOG..NOT EVEN YOUR OWN.

I would rather trust my bike to a "QUACK" that KNOWS how to fix it rather than a book worm that THINKS HE KNOWS how to fix it.

Comment

Thanks all, I have VM's too Chuck... Just watching some of the videos online, looks much easier than plug chops.... Oh and for some reason over the past couple of weeks I have been hearing that term "bit of kit".... Its an epidemic or something.....
        -Mark
        Boston, MA
        Suck Squeeze Bang Blow..
        sigpic

Comment

You know those funny Brits...LOL
          MY BIKES..1977 GS 750 B, 1978 GS 1000 C (X2)
          1978 GS 1000 E, 1979 GS 1000 S, 1973 Yamaha TX 750, 1977 Kawasaki KZ 650B1, 1975 Honda GL1000 Goldwing, 1983 CB 650SC Nighthawk, 1972 Honda CB 350K4, 74 Honda CB550

NEVER SNEAK UP ON A SLEEPING DOG..NOT EVEN YOUR OWN.

I would rather trust my bike to a "QUACK" that KNOWS how to fix it rather than a book worm that THINKS HE KNOWS how to fix it.

Comment

Correct on the CV carbs. I have CV carbs and a Colortune. Doesn't work. But it is a pretty cool device.

Comment

truly a cracking bit of kit..............
              1978 GS1085.

Just remember, an opinion without 3.14 is just an onion!

Comment

Originally posted by chuck hahn View Post
                I have one and works great for me..BUT REMEMBER..all my bikes re VM carbs.

From what I hear from guys that have CV carbs ( and one guy I let use mine with his CVs ) said it doesnt seem to show any color change as you adjust things. So buyer beware if you have CV carbs I guess.
                That was my experience with trying one on my MG. Absolutely worthless. Haven't tried it on the GS.

Comment

I have one (and VM carbs) and like it very much. I can never hear the idle change with the highest idle method, so the colortune addresses that quite well.

Not sure it obviates plug chops, since I would not use it to check the mid to WOT circuits. Can't really use the Colortune under load. But for sorting out the pilot, the Colortune is great.

Comment

Used one on Simon Keuther's bike ('77 750) before he came to pick it up from TheCafeKid. Worked GREAT.

Took it to tune my wife's bike ('82 850L), was rather disappointed.

Since you have VM-series carbs, it will probably work very well for you.

sigpic
                    mine: 2000 Honda GoldWing GL1500SE and 1980 GS850G'K' "Junior"
                    hers: 1982 GS850GL - "Angel" and 1969 Suzuki T250 Scrambler
                    #1 son: 1986 Yamaha Venture Royale 1300 and 1982 GS650GL "Rat Bagger"
                    #2 son: 1980 GS1000G
                    Family Portrait
                    Siblings and Spouses
                    Mom's first ride
                    Want a copy of my valve adjust spreadsheet for your 2-valve per cylinder engine? Send me an e-mail request (not a PM)
                    (Click on my username in the upper-left corner for e-mail info.)

Comment

Thanks again,

I saw a youtube vid of a fella riding at night with a camera hooked up and recording the colortune colors... Suppose I may try that at some point....
                      -Mark
                      Boston, MA
                      Suck Squeeze Bang Blow..
                      sigpic

Comment

Working...
                      X