Choke cable linkage bent

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Choke cable linkage bent

I was trying to change out my choke cable and having trouble getting the old one out of the tube that guides it to the choke linkage on the carbs. Figured out the d*mn thing is bent.

I dunno if it can be bent back without breaking it... and it doesn't seem like I can buy this part anywhere. What are my options here??? I need to change out the cable as it is broken at the control side. This also explains why my choke always stuck a bit and never fully closed... the cable is rubbing in there where it bends.

Maybe "choke cable linkage" is the wrong term. Bracket??? I don't even know what to search for if I were to look on ebay or something. Anyone have a junk set of carbs with one of these?

Comment

try heating it and bending it carefully. it should bend back ok
      1978 GS1085.

Just remember, an opinion without 3.14 is just an onion!

Comment

A tightly wound spring as close to the inside diameter placed inside the tube should allow you to rebend it without kinking, don't know about breaking though. As said before heat should help.
        sigpic
        Steve
        "The world is a book, and those who do not travel read only one page."

Comment

Whatever you do be "careful" I don't believe that part is still available.
          I do believe it's item number 24 in the parts fiche,

I figure if you do destroy it, you can probably fabricate one, or you might get lucky and a member here might have one, or E-bay.

Your lucky day, I just found one for you, $8 plus $3.99 shipping.
          I believe this is what you are looking for.

Here's the link!
          sigpic
          Steve

Comment

Originally posted by sedelen View Post
            Whatever you do be "careful" I don't believe that part is still available.
            I do believe it's item number 24 in the parts fiche,

I figure if you do destroy it, you can probably fabricate one, or you might get lucky and a member here might have one, or E-bay.

Your lucky day, I just found one for you, $8 plus $3.99 shipping.
            I believe this is what you are looking for.

Here's the link!
            http://www.ebay.com/itm/80-81-Suzuki...ff5671&vxp=mtr

Wow! Thanks for finding that, but thankfully I was able to bend it back into shape without too much fuss. It took a bit to find the best points to grip on it to get the right leverage but a couple of pairs of locking pliers did the trick. Old junk cable is out, new one is in... including the plastic insert that was not in there before that makes it slide more smoothly. It works SOOOOO nicely now and doesn't stick anymore. No more pushing the choke rod the rest of the way in with my finger

Photo is a bit blurry but you get the idea

Comment

Originally posted by exzachtly1 View Post
              Wow! Thanks for finding that, but thankfully I was able to bend it back into shape without too much fuss. It took a bit to find the best points to grip on it to get the right leverage but a couple of pairs of locking pliers did the trick. Old junk cable is out, new one is in... including the plastic insert that was not in there before that makes it slide more smoothly. It works SOOOOO nicely now and doesn't stick anymore. No more pushing the choke rod the rest of the way in with my finger

Photo is a bit blurry but you get the idea

Glad you were able to muscle it back into shape . If it works as good as it looks you'll be OK.
              Take good care of it, there aren't too many around .
              sigpic
              Steve

Comment

Originally posted by sedelen View Post
                Glad you were able to muscle it back into shape . If it works as good as it looks you'll be OK.
                Take good care of it, there aren't too many around .
                Yes, moments like these terrify me. But I suppose it's part of owning one of these bikes. Some day I will look back and think fondly of the sheer terror of working on my first motorcycle

Comment

Working...
                X