Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Gs450 Carb Question, Finally getting somewhere

Hey everybody,

I have a 1980 GS 450 L. I attempted recently to cheat on cleaning my carbs. Nessim kindly explained my mistake and needly to say they are now sitting in carb cleaner as we speak.

My questions are the following.

When I dipped last time, the gallons say to rinse after dipping. I used my garden house to rinse the carbs off and when i pulled them apart this time, The float had what appeared to be lyme build up? or something like that on it. Is the garden hose not sure a hot idea?

Also, when I removed the pilot/ adjustment screws, One was about 1 1/4 turns and the other was close to 3. Could someone please tell me what the stock factory settings would be for stock airbox/exhaust? I know the guide said 2, but is it the same for the 450? Also when it says from lightly seated, to turn it back out, exhaust what is lightly seated?

Thanks much in advance!

Mike

When the jet first touches bottom is when I call it lightly seated. I start with 2 turns out and go from there. As far as rinsing them I use WD40 to rinse the cleaned off first. Once dry I move to the cheap spray carb cleaner for a final rinse. Has always worked for me anyway. Hope this helps out some, Shaun

Comment

Good work on giving them a proper soak, the difference should be quite large to a quick clean!

2 to 2.5 turns out for the mixture screws is a good point as Shaun says.

After I cleaned mine, I used the garden hose, then compressed air, then spray carb cleaner, then more compressed air.
      1982 GS450E - The Wee Beastie
      1984 GSX750S Katana 7/11 - Kit Kat - BOTM May 2020

sigpic

450 Refresh thread: https://www.thegsresources.com/_foru...-GS450-Refresh

Katana 7/11 thread: http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...84-Katana-7-11

Comment

After dipping I fill my sink with hot soapy water. Dip the carbs in the sink and scrub everything I can reach with an old tooth brush. Then I rinse thoroughly in the other side of the sink. Then I take the carbs out side and spray every hole, orfice, and jet that I can with carb spray. Then I take the carbs back inside and dry them off with a hair dryer. I've also skipped the hair dryer and let them just air dry on a towel over night.

Comment

Working...
        X