Pod filters with stock exhaust?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Pod filters with stock exhaust?

I am currently restoring my 1982 GS1100EZ. My question is can I run pod filters with the stock exhaust? I really hate wrestling with the stock airbox and love how easy it is to remove the carbs when running pods. I have the stage 1 & 3 Dynojet kit so I was thinking just installing the stage 1. Not looking for any performance gains etc just not having to deal with the stock airbox. Any help would be appreciated.

Cheers
    Paul

Yes, you can run pods. Exhaust doesn't matter, you just need to jet the carbs appropriately. Doubt the stage 1 kit will fill your needs since it's designed for use with the airbox. Stage 3 may be too much since it's designed for use with both pods and header. You are sort of inbetween the two kits. Good luck sorting that out.

I can pretty much guarantee that you are in for more work sorting out the jetting when using pods than you would be fighting with the stock airbox one time. Keep everything stock, fight the airbox back into place, done. Ditch the airbox, rejet the carbs, test drive (plug chops), pull carbs back off and tweak the jetting, retest, etc, etc. etc.
    Last edited by Nessism; 06-21-2013, 09:38 AM.
    Ed

To measure is to know.

Mikuni O-ring Kits For Sale...https://www.thegsresources.com/_foru...ts#post1703182

Top Newbie Mistakes thread...http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...d.php?t=171846

Carb rebuild tutorial...https://gsarchive.bwringer.com/mtsac...d_Tutorial.pdf

KZ750E Rebuild Thread...http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...0-Resurrection

Comment

You should be able to as long as the pods are of a good quality and provide some degree of air restriction. The Emgo type pods are totally useless and provide no filtering and thus allow in too much air. Your jet kit may not compensate for that and your carbs will run leaner than they should and you will not be running right or at least chasing odd little issues that can crop up (like backfiring).

While pods make carb work easier they are harder to setup in conjunction with the carb jetting and exhaust. If you are going to do it, I'd suggest buy the best like K&N or APE. My personal preference is actually UNifoam which may not be as pretty as the others, provides better filtration IMHO.

Whatever you choose just be prepared for some fiddling as things seldom go easy peasy with pods.

Let us know how it turns out.

cheers,
      spyug

Comment

Thanks guys for the information.
        I think you guys have just convinced me to wrestle with the stock airbox.

Cheers
        Paul

Comment

Originally posted by pauly View Post
          Thanks guys for the information.
          I think you guys have just convinced me to wrestle with the stock airbox.

Cheers
          Paul
          Good choice! I found the best way was to loosen everything up, remove all the bolts for the air box and try to push the carb rack as far back as possible, then remove the intake manifold boots. Then it's pretty easy to get the carb rack out.
          Currently bikeless
          '81 GS 1100EX - "Peace, by superior fire power."
          '06 FZ1000 - "What we are dealing with here, is a COMPLETE lack of respect for the law."

I ride, therefore I am.... constantly buying new tires.

"Tell me what kind of an accident you are going to have, and I will tell you which helmet to wear." - Harry Hurt

Comment

Hi there mate, you can definitely run the pods with stock exhaust. You need to get a source for mainjets from Mikuni, shouldn't be too hard as they're listed on eBay.

I'd recommend a 10% jump to start with in mainjet size and see how you go. Eg a 100 mainjet becomes a 110, a 150 becomes a 165 etc.

If you have the dynojet 1&3 then maybe get an exhaust as well - there are good sets on eBay for about $400 posted.

- boingk

Comment

Just curious why you are "wrestling" with the airbox.

Yeah, there is a bit of frustration on that model, but if you clean your carbs properly (replacing o-rings, etc.), ensure that your intake boots are good (the ones between the carbs and the engine), then also make sure your airbox boots (the ones between the airbox and the carbs) are also in good condition, there should be no "wrestling" for several years.

It's an interesting situation: add pods to make getting the carbs in and out easier, but require them to go in and out several times to get the jetting right - OR - clean the carbs once, put up with the hassle once, then ignore them for several years. Which one is really "easier"?

sigpic
              mine: 2000 Honda GoldWing GL1500SE and 1980 GS850G'K' "Junior"
              hers: 1982 GS850GL - "Angel" and 1969 Suzuki T250 Scrambler
              #1 son: 1986 Yamaha Venture Royale 1300 and 1982 GS650GL "Rat Bagger"
              #2 son: 1980 GS1000G
              Family Portrait
              Siblings and Spouses
              Mom's first ride
              Want a copy of my valve adjust spreadsheet for your 2-valve per cylinder engine? Send me an e-mail request (not a PM)
              (Click on my username in the upper-left corner for e-mail info.)

Comment

Working...
              X