So, my bikes been sitting.........

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

So, my bikes been sitting.........

It is amazing how time flies when you work two jobs, raise a family, and have a house that always seems to need something done to it. My GS 450 has sat now for about six months, maybe more. I plan to drain the tank and put in fresh fuel, but wondered if sitting may have damaged anything? The carbs were both rebuilt a year or so ago and the bike was ridden only a few hundred miles after the rebuild.

drop in some seafoam slosh it around a bit, start up the bike and hopefully it will run, if the carbs got bummed up the seafoam might clear it up, you can try some gas line antifreeze as well that can clear up the gumminess as well most times...

then again looking at your location you might not have any gas line antifreeze in your part of the world...

fresh fuel will help as well, but do add the seafoam if available.

Comment

Depends on your local fuel formulation, the gas may still be good. At least good enough for the truck or whatever.

Six months isn't much, did you drain the float bowls back then? How about disconnecting the battery?
      http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v5...tatesMap-1.jpg

Life is too short to ride an L.

Comment

The last time I rode the bike I closed the fuel line and ran the bike till it died from lack of fuel. I also removed the battery as I planned to replace it with a better one.

Comment

You should be fine most likely. What does the old fuel smell like?
          http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v5...tatesMap-1.jpg

Life is too short to ride an L.

Comment

Originally posted by GateKeeper View Post
            drop in some seafoam slosh it around a bit, start up the bike and hopefully it will run, if the carbs got bummed up the seafoam might clear it up, you can try some gas line antifreeze as well that can clear up the gumminess as well most times...

then again looking at your location you might not have any gas line antifreeze in your part of the world...

fresh fuel will help as well, but do add the seafoam if available.

Seafoam is available in Mickey's shadow. I bought some at Autozone when I put my bike back on the road this year. I can't say I've ever seen gas line antifreeze down here though.

Comment

Working...
            X