Cableless choke

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Cableless choke

I'm looking to get my 1980 gs1100 setup with a on-carb (no cable) choke knob. Currently it has the standard choke cable, but I'd really like to just be able to set the choke directly on the carb. I have had no luck so far in finding any parts or kits that will allow me to do this. Does anyone know of anything like this, or has anyone done something custom for this?

To be honest, I don't think you can get there from here.
    My GS and my GPz both have Mikuni 34SS carbs, just as your does.
    I rebuilt both sets. The chock mechanism was completely different and not interchangeable between the two.

Comment

thanks for the quick response, that's helpful to know. I think I'm just going to have to build something custom. I'll be sure to post some pics when I get it sorted out.

Comment

ill fully admit to this being totally hack, but....My choke lever broke a few years ago, and as a "temporary fix" i looped a string thru the end of the choke rod (my 1150 has a rod that connects all 4 carbs). I simply hold it out at start,crank the bike over, hold it for 10-15 seconds then release .Its then good to idle on its own. I really plan to fix it...eventually. It broke because my aftermarket handlebars caused the lever to hit the (beat up) gas tank at full lock, and it broke manuvering it around the garage. This would require moving the handlebars which are in a sweet spot, hence the dragging of feet.
        sigpic
        When consulting the magic 8 ball for advice, one must first ask it "will your answers be accurate?"

Glen
        -85 1150 es - Plus size supermodel.
        -Rusty old scooter.
        Other things I like to photograph.....instagram.com/gs_junkie
        https://www.instagram.com/glen_brenner/
        https://www.flickr.com/photos/152267...7713345317771/

Comment

I suppose you could make a bracket and arrange a short choke cable under the tank. Unless you are doing a major mod on the handlebars I can't really see any reason to do this. Choke cables are cheap and all the parts are easily obtainable to make it stock. So, yeah, you can. But why?

Comment

I have a very custom gs1100 so the original equipment on the bike is pretty much the carburetor and the motor and not much else, especially in the way of controls, I still have a functioning choke cable, its just more convenient for me to pull the choke bar on the side of the carb by hand. The current choke cable position is on on the left rear of the bike just behind the seat (although not really visible in this pic).

Comment

I have just attached a wire to the choke rod as stated above a used it . It works very well. But also I think it is a Kawasaki model bike early 80's 1100 had a choke lever on the carbs, Yes they are Mikuni's as I have a set with the rod on them 33mm CV carbs . But I am not parting with them. So as far as it being available , yes there are is . Just need tho figure out what model.
              1984 GS1100GK newest addition to the heard
              80 GS 1000gt- most favorite ride love this bike
              1978 GS1000E- Known as "RoadKill" , Finished
              83 gs750ed- first new purchase
              85 EX500- vintage track weapon
              1958Ducati 98 Tourismo
              “Remember When in doubt use full throttle, It may not improve the situation ,but it will end the suspense ,
              If it isn't going to make it faster or safer it isn't worth doing

Comment

My GPz has a threaded rod with a knob on the end of it. Perhaps with a little creativity you could do that. The only thing is this: it also has two ball bearings that allow it to be set at 100% choke or 50% choke without my holding onto the knob. Not sure how you would implement that.
                Just an idea.

Comment

I used to pull the choke rod to the left and stick a quarter between the top of the carb and the screw on the little clamp piece. Start it up, pull on the gloves and helmet, remove the quarter and hit the road. Something a little more elegant could be devised I'm sure.

Someone a few years ago on the GSR, (McGyver maybe) doing a custumised 650G made a little bellcrank type lever which pulled the rod to the side when you moved the lever 90 degrees, it looked pretty good.

I prefer the lever on the carb themselves too, simplicity is good.

Life is too short to ride an L.

Comment

That quarter trick is a clever idea, i might just leave something like that on the bike that I can use for that purpose. I definitely like simple as well, and thanks to the fact that the ignition for my bike is underneath the left side of the seat, near the batter, its very tricky to pull the choke and start the bike at the same time.

Comment

Working...
                    X