Gs650 idles up and wont back down

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Gs650 idles up and wont back down

Hi guys So a little history I have a 81 GS 650 bobber, Straight piped, dyno jet stage 3, pods, replaced rectifier and stator, went through carbs completely when jet kit was done. So now the issue Ive been riding just over a year on my build all last summer and this summer. I pulled my tank off to do a bit of cosmetic repair. I have no idea what happened but now I have this issue if I ride to work in the morning im fine. but on my way home at night my rpms will start to hang around the 3k range. When I go to pull in the clutch and stop my rpms sky rocket to like 4-5k an di have to kill switch the bike. Though it was throttle cable went over cable no pinches cable is sitting with slack at idle. Started it up seemed fine, rode to work next day same thing on way home. High rpms had to kill switch it when I got home because couldn't get it to idle down again next morning started fien idle normal. Any suggestions on what could be happening would be great im baffled at this point like I say its not the throttle cable and I didn't touch anything carb related.

Just a thought could this be vacuum related and would hooking the lines up off the petcock backwards cause this I don't wanna switch them with out some input form the pros. I have the long line the runs down below the bike connecting to the tube attached to the tank and the small line the runs off the carbs connected to the small tube on the petcock and obviously the thick main fuel line connected to the main fuel tube on petcock.

Comment

To be honest it sounds like an air leak.
      You may have knocked a connection loose at the front of one or more of the carbs.

Comment

The petcock has 2 nipples; 1 small diameter and 1 large diameter. Very difficult to swap the hoses around.

Comment

is the vacuum line to the petcock a good tight fit at both ends and free from splits or cracks?
          1978 GS1085.

Just remember, an opinion without 3.14 is just an onion!

Comment

Thanks koolaid Kid ill check the lines when I get home I didn't think of that. Do you know what the 3rd line that actually comes off bottom of the tank is? sounds like my lines are right then I just wasn't sure if what that 3rd nipple was for well actually its not on tank itself its on a gold colored circle object that mounts to tank with 2 wires running form it. Guessing something to do with my fuel level gauge

Comment

Agemax the lines are new replaced when staged the carbs appeared to be free of cracks and snug at petcock, as koolaid mentioned I didn't think to check at the carb so I will do so tonight when I get home from work its possible when pulling tank I could have knocked a line loose on carb side of things. Hope that's all that's wrong small stupid issue I overlooked would be nice lol

Comment

it has to be something silly like that if you did not disturb anything else while you had the tank off.
                you are correct about the fuel gauge sender in the side of the tank. the overflow pipe is there just in case it should decide to leak, so it doesn't dribble gas over a hot engine.
                1978 GS1085.

Just remember, an opinion without 3.14 is just an onion!

Comment

Greetings and Salutations!!

Hi Mr. a.jensen5,

To answer your question:
                  Where Do These Hoses Go?

Have you replaced the intake boots or intake boot O-rings?

For more general maintenance and repair, read all of the information in the links below. These resources contain much in the way of the caring and feeding of a 30+ year old motorcycle. It's your "mega-welcome".

If you are here you probably have a 30 year old motorcycle that needs about 20 years worth of maintenance. In the links below you'll find maintenance lists, documentation, wiring diagrams, "how to" guides, vendor links, tips, tricks, and a whole lot of GS goodness. This is your "mega-welcome". Let's get started.

Let me dump a TON of information on you and share some GS lovin'.

I just stopped by to welcome you to the forum in my own, special way.

If there's anything you'd like to know about the Suzuki GS model bikes, and most others actually, you've come to the right place. There's a lot of knowledge and experience here in the community. Come on in and let me say "HOoooowwwDY!"....

Here is your very own magical, mystical, mythical, mind-expanding "mega-welcome". Please take notice of the "Top 10 Common Issues", "Top 15 Tips For GS Happiness", the Carb Cleanup Series, and the Stator Papers. All of these tasks must be addressed in order to have a safe, reliable machine. This is what NOT to do: Top 10 Newbie Mistakes. Now let me roll out the welcome mat for you...

Please Click Here For Your Mega-Welcome, chock full of tips, suggestions, links to vendors, and other information. Then feel free to visit my little BikeCliff website where I've been collecting the wisdom of this generous community. Don't forget, we like pictures! Not you, your bike!

More links to helpful threads in the forum:
                  Help! Your Bike Won't Start
                  DON'T DO THESE THINGS
                  Help! Your Bike Won't Run Well
                  Oh God! Pods!

Thanks for joining us. Keep us informed.

Thank you for your indulgence,

BassCliff

Comment

Thanks again agemax, and thanks basscliff for the info will surely be used. And no no boot or oring replacments well not since I staged carbs anyway did all of them at the time but nothing recent bike was fine till I pulled the tank off to do some cosmetic work.

Comment

It sounds like you cracked the vacuum line on the petcock. Easy enough to do.
                      '83 GS650G
                      '83 GS550es (didn't like the colours in the 80's, but they've grown on me)

Comment

Thanks bigD_83 it sure is sounding like a air/vacuum leak somewhere at this point im off work in about 15 min going to take a look soon as I get home will post update as to what I find asap.

Comment

Okay so i took a look at the vac line form petcock all snug no cracks, however i notice between 1-2 and 3-4 there as a T with a plastic nipple exactly where i put the dashes. I dont remmeber where those Ts ran to but there is no hose on either side im completly confused if id knocked hoses off i would have they woud have been laying on the floor. Can someone tell me what those tubes are and where they are supose to run all i guess is that maybe i knocked them lose and they blew all way off on first ride. ill dig through basscliffs info while waiting for a reply as to wht they are its been awhile since i did my jet kit and dont rememeber what or where they ran to.

Comment

lol well now i feel dumb right away on basscliffs where do these hoses go i see the tubes they are vent tubes so thats obviously not my problem ill have to pick up couple hoses to put on them cant beleive i eft them off this si why i come to experts this is my first motorcycle and still a learing experince

Comment

Going to go back out and look further for leak spots any other suggestions are welcome

Comment

Working...
                              X