I can't get my carbs out.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I can't get my carbs out.

I'm trying to re-gasket my carbs on my '81 GS550... I can't get them out. Removing the tree from the airbox to the carbs has proven to be instensely difficult as well.

Anyone got any tricks? I'm going to give it another go tonight, but will definitely buttoning the whole thing up to ride tomorrow.

This is a quote from me from a thread more on insertion of carbs, but still good info.

Originally posted by TheBigRed View Post
    Call me dense, but I found something else that helps in this area.

For at least my 550 with the stock airbox etc.

There are the two bolts at the front of the airbox, that are in elongated holes, those are a no brainer to remove.

However, on the side of the airbox is another bolt, Removing that bolt gives a LOT more wiggle room and that makes removal installation soo much easier.

Last night From the time walking out to the garage, removing the tank, loosening bolts pulling carbs, draining float bowls, changing main jet, putting carbs back on the bike, tightening everything down, putting the tank and seat back on.. 45 minutes tops.

It was easy and quick enough that I was able to get a test ride in before it got dark, and I wasn't expecting a test ride till Saturday.

Just another hint to help out there.

Amos

Comment

Originally posted by TheBigRed View Post
      This is a quote from me from a thread more on insertion of carbs, but still good info.
      So, don't disconnect the header from the airbox but unmount the airbox and push it back?

Comment

I'm thinking (read assuming) what you are referring to as header is the plenum??

So, the air box is basically two parts. The actual air box that contains the air filter, and a Plenum which distributes the filtered air to the 4 carbs. These two pieces stay together. The two screws on top are connected to a bracket that is mounted between these two pieces. Then on the side of the actual air box, near the starter relay (if memory serves) is another bolt that helps hold everything in place.

By removing that bolt you will get an additional 1-2 inches of movement with the plenum/air box combo, and that moved back out of the way enables the carbs to be more easilly removed/installed.

Comment

Working...
        X