Carb Dip Everything?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Carb Dip Everything?

When I dip the carbs, do I dip everything (except rubber and diaphragm). Do I dip all the jets and choke plungers, etc?

Don't think I should dip the starter/choke plungers, they have an o-ring and boot that I do not have replacements for.
    Last edited by Guest; 06-29-2013, 09:57 PM.

Not the plungers, they have a rubber piece that would melt.

Comment

choke plungers

...not only do they melt, but it so happens they rather quickly dry out and crack. I believe there is irreversible damage happening within an hour

(Ask me how I know )

One word about carb dip: I can't say for Berryman's as I have not been able to find it north of the 49th, but the stuff I use (Kleen-Flo) is nasty

The smell will linger on anything that comes in contact with it (including the ground/earth) for what will seem like decades. It also makes a very effective (albeit it smelly) paint remover. If your carbs are already painted/powder-coated, they will most likely bubble off in the dip.

EDIT- by the way, nice ride. Rather fond of the 650G myself
      '83 GS650G
      '83 GS550es (didn't like the colours in the 80's, but they've grown on me)

Comment

Dip Needle Valve?

I've only dipped one carb so far and it occurs to me that the needle valve's screen has a hard plastic that holds it in place. I have removed it from the dip and it appears fine (after about an hour and a half sitting in there). Should I dip the other needle valves?

Comment

Float needle screens and carb dip

The consensus seems to be that you can leave them on, but I'm in favour of popping them off
          '83 GS650G
          '83 GS550es (didn't like the colours in the 80's, but they've grown on me)

Comment

Why multiple posts about the same thing? Please read up on Nessism's carb rebuild procedures as it covers everything you are asking about - http://www.mtsac.edu/~cliff/storage/...d_Tutorial.pdf
            Cowboy Up or Quit. - Run Free Lou and Rest in Peace

1981 GS550T - My First
            1981 GS550L - My Eldest Daughter's - Now Sold
            2007 GSF1250SA Bandit - My touring bike

Sit tall in the saddle Hold your head up high
            Keep your eyes fixed where the trail meets the sky and live like you ain't afraid to die
            and don't be scared, just enjoy your ride - Chris Ledoux, "The Ride"

Comment

Originally posted by cowboyup3371 View Post
              Why multiple posts about the same thing?
              Because it's so much more FUN and CONFUSING.

sigpic
              mine: 2000 Honda GoldWing GL1500SE and 1980 GS850G'K' "Junior"
              hers: 1982 GS850GL - "Angel" and 1969 Suzuki T250 Scrambler
              #1 son: 1986 Yamaha Venture Royale 1300 and 1982 GS650GL "Rat Bagger"
              #2 son: 1980 GS1000G
              Family Portrait
              Siblings and Spouses
              Mom's first ride
              Want a copy of my valve adjust spreadsheet for your 2-valve per cylinder engine? Send me an e-mail request (not a PM)
              (Click on my username in the upper-left corner for e-mail info.)

Comment

Working...
              X