Rack Screws

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Rack Screws

Rather than go through Suzuki to get these rack screws (part #'s 02112-06127 & 02142-05127), can I get something equivalent at a hardware store? Thanks!

Sure. Looking at the part numbers (right after the "-"), you will see that the first one is M6 x 12mm, the second one is M5 x 12mm.

It will be your choice whether you go with standard heads or something different.

sigpic
    mine: 2000 Honda GoldWing GL1500SE and 1980 GS850G'K' "Junior"
    hers: 1982 GS850GL - "Angel" and 1969 Suzuki T250 Scrambler
    #1 son: 1986 Yamaha Venture Royale 1300 and 1982 GS650GL "Rat Bagger"
    #2 son: 1980 GS1000G
    Family Portrait
    Siblings and Spouses
    Mom's first ride
    Want a copy of my valve adjust spreadsheet for your 2-valve per cylinder engine? Send me an e-mail request (not a PM)
    (Click on my username in the upper-left corner for e-mail info.)

Comment

Thank You!

Thanks again.

Comment

Steve is being subtle, but most opt for stainless steel allen head screws. Much easier to install/remove and they will not rust.

Comment

Originally posted by koolaid_kid View Post
          Steve is being subtle, but most opt for stainless steel allen head screws. Much easier to install/remove and they will not rust.
          Me??

Subtle??

OK, if you go stainless, don't forget the anti-sieze compound, too.

sigpic
          Family Portrait
          Siblings and Spouses
          Mom's first ride
          Want a copy of my valve adjust spreadsheet for your 2-valve per cylinder engine? Send me an e-mail request (not a PM)

Comment

Originally posted by koolaid_kid View Post
            What about these from Home Depot?...
            Zinc-Plated Steel Pan-Head Phillips Machine Screws

Comment

They will work, but if you can find the stainless Allen-head (socket head) bolts, it will be worth the difference in price.

sigpic
              Family Portrait
              Siblings and Spouses
              Mom's first ride

Comment

If I purchase locally I go to my nearest Ace Hardware store. They almost always have the stainless allen head screws (bolts) I need.

Comment

My ACE Hardware tends to carry them, too, but I might only find three or four there at a time.

It's a smaller store. They have a large selection of hard-to-find items, just not very many of each.

sigpic
                  Family Portrait
                  Siblings and Spouses
                  Mom's first ride

Comment

I am fortunate to have 2 Ace stores within riding distance. I was not aware of this, but they are franchises. I was at the one closest to me and they did not have enough of what I wanted and I asked them to call the other store. They refused, informing me that the other store was the competition. The natural reply would have been "Well, if you had it in stock I would have purchased it here" but there was no way to turn that into a win/win situation. I rode over to the other store and they had plenty. As you observed, it is a small vs. big store. The closest one is in the small category, the other in the big category.
                    Still, they carry more in the line of metric screws/bolts/nuts, especially in the stainless category, than the "big name" stores such as Lowes, Menards and Home Depot.

Comment

Working...
                    X