sad carb overflow

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

sad carb overflow

So I was hoping to get my 79gs1000 out for a ride to a camping trip this weekend.

first real ride after a 10 year sleep for the bike.

I had the tank off and replaced the fuel line. The bike seemed to start up and run ok, but after cutting the engine fuel poured out of one of the carb overflow tubes.

I'm pretty swamped so not a lot of time right now to problem solve. So really this is a hail mary pass. I've tapped them lightly, I've checked to make sure it's not on prime.

I installed the line without a fuel filter which makes me worry that I instantly sent crude into the carbs... Petcock filter is in good shape though.

Sigh. If I don't get a magical answer, I'll see you all in a couple of weeks because I'm out of town and I'll have to get back at it then.

Thanks all.

which carb is it leaking from?
    1978 GS1085.

Just remember, an opinion without 3.14 is just an onion!

Comment

ok showing my ignorance ... while sitting on the bike, second from the left.

Is that number 2?

Comment

I feel your pain. I'm bikeless till I figure how to cure my carb over flow problems too.
        All I know is it takes a clean tank, a good petcock and perfect float needle valve and seat.

Comment

#2 carb is usually a sure sign of a bad petcock. fuel leaking down the vacuum pipe.
          pull the vacuum pipe off the petcock and see if it is dribbling fuel.
          1978 GS1085.

Comment

Hi,

I found this on some guy's website.

Overflowing Carbs

Thank you for your indulgence,

BassCliff

Comment

Thanks Agemax. The vacuum tube seems dry.

And Basscliff, I really feel in the mix now that I have a post from you, thanks.

I think I'm just going to have to put her to bed for a couple of weeks until I get back, then look over your posts and see what I can do.

More later.
              Thanks again.

Comment

Hi, I pulled vacuum line 3 times , it seemed dry. Hooked vacuum line to my vacuum pump , pumped to 10 pounds it sucked fuel bad into the line. double check.

Comment

Originally posted by Agemax View Post
                  #2 carb is usually a sure sign of a bad petcock. fuel leaking down the vacuum pipe.
                  pull the vacuum pipe off the petcock and see if it is dribbling fuel.
                  That's #3 carb on VM carbed bikes

You have looked at yours, lately?

Bad petcock, none the less

To the OP, you're being a bit optimistic for a bike that's been down for 10 years. For one thing, you need new tires
                  1978 GS 1000 (since new)
                  1979 GS 1000 (The Fridge, superbike replica project)
                  1978 GS 1000 (parts)
                  1981 GS 850 (anyone want a project?)
                  1981 GPZ 550 (backroad screamer)
                  1970 450 Mk IIID (THUMP!)
                  2007 DRz 400S
                  1999 ATK 490ES
                  1994 DR 350SES

Comment

Thanks BigT..the petcock is my first plan of action. I may just order one while I'm away.

The bike's got new tires and tubes. And though I didn't do it, it has new rings, valve job and rebuilt carbs. I cleaned the tank out though, and put her back together once I got the engine back.

Comment

I can't resist.. Man I should be working.

When I had the tank off and propped up on two by fours to keep the petcock clear of the ground, it still leaked with the selector on ON.

Is that another sign that the petcock is toast or is that normal.

Comment

Originally posted by Big T View Post
                        That's #3 carb on VM carbed bikes

You have looked at yours, lately?

Bad petcock, none the less

To the OP, you're being a bit optimistic for a bike that's been down for 10 years. For one thing, you need new tires
                        he doesn't say whether he has VM's or BS carbs!!!!!!
                        and yes i look at my VM's every day, i love my carbs........

and yes, if fuel still flows with the petcock on "ON" then it does point towards a faulty petcock.
                        1978 GS1085.

Comment

Originally posted by RobertGS1000 View Post
                          I can't resist.. Man I should be working.

When I had the tank off and propped up on two by fours to keep the petcock clear of the ground, it still leaked with the selector on ON.

Is that another sign that the petcock is toast or is that normal.
                          Yeap it's bad.

Comment

Update

So I'd like to thank everyone for weighing in on my carb overflow blues. I had to leave the problem while away on a trip, but that's ok because I ordered a new petcock from Susuki and it just arrived today.

I ordered new after reading a bunch of advice on this site and after realizing I don't want to miss anymore riding days due to problems trying to rebuild what appears to be a tricky part.

Just installed it. Guess what. No carb overflow, seems to be running great.

So you were all bang on with your advice. Helped me out thanks.

Comment

Working...
                            X