Bike seems to not wanna throttle down

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Bike seems to not wanna throttle down

So I am still trying to safely get my 82 GS1100GZ on the road this year. After and engin rebuild and a parts bike this has been a 2 year project now. I finally got the bike started and running but it was surging. I put a new air filter in the new to me complete air box that I got off the parts bike, mine was missing the snorkel thing on the back of the box, and the surging stopped, guess there wasn't enough restriction. The carbs are newly rebuilt from last year and they are a stock set up. The bike idles great and rides fine, minus the brakes needing new pads, but it seems to be almost lagging when I roll off and try to slow down. It was like the cable is sticking or hanging up so I pulled the old throttle cable off and lubed up a new one and installed it. Still this weird pause before throttle down. The throttle snaps back to idle perfect and the tension is set exactly where the manual says to have it, but when I roll off the throttle for some reason it is taking the bike a couple of seconds to catch up. Is this normal? If so this is the first bike I have ever ridden that does that. This is my first gs so I don't really know. Any suggestions????
    Last edited by Guest; 07-06-2013, 11:12 PM.

Hanging throttle, I had that problem on my '82 GS1100EZ once. I backed out my carb air screws a little at a time and that cured it. It's a lean condition, it could also possibly be a vacuum leak, boots, breather, air cleaner, etc.
    sigpic
    Steve
    "The world is a book, and those who do not travel read only one page." :cool:

Comment

Hanging idle can be from a few things which cause a lean condition.

First and easiest thing to check is where the mixture screws on the top back of the carbs is set. baseline is 2 out from lightly seated. turning the screw out richens the mixture and turning it in obviously will lean it out.

second is leaking orings in the intake manifolds ( carb holders to some).

Third is actual cuts or cracks in the rubber on the intake maniflolds. Use some starting fluid and give each one a squirt with the bike running..if the RPMS go up with a good shot of fluid..its a leaker. Also the clamps have to tighten down good to seal good.

The there is float hts. Too low and they can run lean..too high and they can run rich.

All this being said, you can tell there are several things that have to be right because they work in concert as to how it runs. Check the screw positions first. Then start it and squirt the starter fluid around. Now you will have the two easiest and most obvious crossed off the list.
      Last edited by chuck hahn; 07-06-2013, 11:36 PM.
      MY BIKES..1977 GS 750 B, 1978 GS 1000 C (X2)
      1978 GS 1000 E, 1979 GS 1000 S, 1973 Yamaha TX 750, 1977 Kawasaki KZ 650B1, 1975 Honda GL1000 Goldwing, 1983 CB 650SC Nighthawk, 1972 Honda CB 350K4, 74 Honda CB550

NEVER SNEAK UP ON A SLEEPING DOG..NOT EVEN YOUR OWN.

I would rather trust my bike to a "QUACK" that KNOWS how to fix it rather than a book worm that THINKS HE KNOWS how to fix it.

Comment

And another thing. Spray some of that white spray grease stuff on the linkages. Dryness can make things hang up too.
        MY BIKES..1977 GS 750 B, 1978 GS 1000 C (X2)
        1978 GS 1000 E, 1979 GS 1000 S, 1973 Yamaha TX 750, 1977 Kawasaki KZ 650B1, 1975 Honda GL1000 Goldwing, 1983 CB 650SC Nighthawk, 1972 Honda CB 350K4, 74 Honda CB550

NEVER SNEAK UP ON A SLEEPING DOG..NOT EVEN YOUR OWN.

I would rather trust my bike to a "QUACK" that KNOWS how to fix it rather than a book worm that THINKS HE KNOWS how to fix it.

Comment

Will do, thanks for the input

Comment

Replace the intake boot O-rings if you haven't already done so. This is the number one reason for a hanging idle on that type of bike.

BTW, check the Newbie Mistakes thread linked in my signature for more things to look out for.
            Ed

To measure is to know.

Mikuni O-ring Kits For Sale...https://www.thegsresources.com/_foru...ts#post1703182

Top Newbie Mistakes thread...http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...d.php?t=171846

Carb rebuild tutorial...https://gsarchive.bwringer.com/mtsac...d_Tutorial.pdf

KZ750E Rebuild Thread...http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...0-Resurrection

Comment

intake o rings are replaced now and it still did it. Come to find out the slides were sticking on the carbs. I thought i got them clean enough but there was some gunky varnishy stuff right at the top of the slides where the diaphragm meets the slides. talked to a buddy and he told me to give them a good polish with a brown scratchy pad and now all i am waiting on is my brakes to get here then off to the parts store for headlight and turn signal bulbs and then on the road.

Comment

Had the same problem after rebuilding carbs.

Searched the forum....

1 min with the screwdriver solved it: I had the air mixture screws on 2 half turns instead of 2 full turns out. Makes all the difference.

Thanks Chuck !

Comment

Working...
                X