Intake Boot Clamps

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Intake Boot Clamps

So, I've completely rebuilt the carbs and replaced the intake boot o-rings. Boots, from all appearances, are in good shape. I did notice when I first got the bike and was removing the intake boot clamps that the clamps were as tight as you could get them but you could still move them. I believe these are the stock clamps, should I be able to move them by hand when fully tightened?

Thanks once again.

No you should not and it would be a good idea to order some new ones for both sides (carb to engine and carb to air box)
    Cowboy Up or Quit. - Run Free Lou and Rest in Peace

1981 GS550T - My First
    1981 GS550L - My Eldest Daughter's - Now Sold
    2007 GSF1250SA Bandit - My touring bike

Sit tall in the saddle Hold your head up high
    Keep your eyes fixed where the trail meets the sky and live like you ain't afraid to die
    and don't be scared, just enjoy your ride - Chris Ledoux, "The Ride"

Comment

no. you need new ones. Suzuki still sell them or aftermarket alternatives are available
      1978 GS1085.

Just remember, an opinion without 3.14 is just an onion!

Comment

Originally posted by Agemax View Post
        no. you need new ones. Suzuki still sell them or aftermarket alternatives are available
        Do they stretch?! I don't get it, do I need to get slightly smaller ones?

Comment

Originally posted by cowboyup3371 View Post
          No you should not and it would be a good idea to order some new ones for both sides (carb to engine and carb to air box)
          Why would they no longer tighten to the boot? Do they stretch?

Comment

They can reach their limit and stretch like that yes. You'll be amazed at how well new ones seal without going very far.
            Cowboy Up or Quit. - Run Free Lou and Rest in Peace

1981 GS550T - My First
            1981 GS550L - My Eldest Daughter's - Now Sold
            2007 GSF1250SA Bandit - My touring bike

Sit tall in the saddle Hold your head up high
            Keep your eyes fixed where the trail meets the sky and live like you ain't afraid to die
            and don't be scared, just enjoy your ride - Chris Ledoux, "The Ride"

Comment

A quick fix to get you going again. Bend the ears back where the screw is attached and add a thin strip of electrical tape to the inside of those clamps and be back on the road.

Comment

I have even removed the screw, and snipped off the end that the screw goes into first. Then re-drilled a similar size hole and bent it at a 90 in the vise and replace screw. Have done this many times with great success. Typical it seems after doing it once they dont need to be done again since they have already stretched out once.

New ones arent that much either but if you on a budget like me its a quick easy fix for a small problem. Hope this helps.

Comment

Originally posted by xxBenJamminxx View Post
                  I have even removed the screw, and snipped off the end that the screw goes into first. Then re-drilled a similar size hole and bent it at a 90 in the vise and replace screw. Have done this many times with great success. Typical it seems after doing it once they dont need to be done again since they have already stretched out once.

New ones arent that much either but if you on a budget like me its a quick easy fix for a small problem. Hope this helps.
                  Thanks! I may give this a try.

Comment

Working...
                  X