Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

why seal the airbox if there is a drain hose?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

unless my oem drain hose is missing a check valve or something (doesn't seem to be per fiche) it looks like the drain hose cancels any sealing that the airbox may get.
    1981 GS750L - Owned since 1990 when graduated high school and since have been discovering all the things not disclosed by seller.
    1983 GS750E - bought in 2016 as a rough runner to use while rebuilding 81L and then to combine with ES to make one good one
    1983 GS750ES - bought in Toronto in 2015 on a lark as a non-runner, missing front cowling and exhaust - If you have a 1983 750ES front cowling let me know! Blue would be nice

Seems logical, but then. many people have sealed the airbox with excellent results

So sealing does work
    1978 GS 1000 (since new)
    1979 GS 1000 (The Fridge, superbike replica project)
    1978 GS 1000 (parts)
    1981 GS 850 (anyone want a project?)
    1981 GPZ 550 (backroad screamer)
    1970 450 Mk IIID (THUMP!)
    2007 DRz 400S
    1999 ATK 490ES
    1994 DR 350SES

Comment

A proper drain hose is somewhat of a one way valve, letting things out but not in.

Comment

Hi,

The inlets of the airbox, snorkel, small holes on the bottom, etc, are engineered to let in a measured amount of air. That's why any air leaks, which let in more air than designed for, cause the engine to run lean. That is also why when you replace the airbox with pod filters you must enlarge the jets to compensate for all the extra air and maintain the proper air/fuel ratio.

Thank you for your indulgence,

BassCliff

Comment

You know I've often wondered about this.
          My '79 GS1000 doesn't have a plug on the end of the hose, I wondered if it was a special hose with some kind of check valve in it. There isn't, just an open hose.
          However, my '82 GS1100E didn't have a hose, so I ordered one, and there on the end was a plug with a clip to hold it in place. This is the "revised" part number one, so I don't know what the original had.
          So, I ride the 1000 with the hose on the end open, I had it plugged once with a bolt, but it didn't seem to make any difference. And I ride my 1100 with the plugged hose. It doesn't seem to mind at all.
          sigpic
          Steve
          "The world is a book, and those who do not travel read only one page." :cool:

Comment

Ok everyone, I will explain this. Anything that is AFTER the air filter doesn't really affect the engine. The carb boots to the head & the airbox boots to the carbs need to be sealed to prevent air leaks into the intake system. The airbox will affect jetting if it is altered by cutting holes in it or something of that nature, but the bike was DESIGNED to operate with the drain hole. Even if the hose is removed the engine is still within safe parameters for the jetting they come with. Is this stated in a way that is understandable? Ray.

Comment

I know this "aftermarket" air cleaner cover which was on my '82 GS1100E when I got it and thought was stock made a big difference on my bike.
              It ran hot and lean and I was thinking it was the carbs. What a difference it made when I put a solid top stock one on it with weather stripping.

sigpic
              Steve
              "The world is a book, and those who do not travel read only one page." :cool:

Comment

Originally posted by Andrew Vanis View Post

unless my oem drain hose is missing a check valve or something (doesn't seem to be per fiche) it looks like the drain hose cancels any sealing that the airbox may get.
                The new drain hose I ordered for my bike is sealed with a removable plug. So I figure they know something now that they didn't back then. My old drain hose just had a foam mesh in it, no one way valve of any kind, so it probably sucked up some extra air.
                sigpicMrBill Been a GSR member on and off since April 2002
                1980 GS 750E Bought new in Feb of 1980
                2015 CAN AM RTS

Stuff I've done to my bike:dancing: 1100E front end with new Sonic springs, 1100E swing arm conversion with new Progressive shocks installed, 530 sprockets/chain conversion, new SS brake lines, new brake pads. New SS fasteners through out. Rebuilt carbs, new EBC clutch springs and horn installed. New paint. Motor runs strong.

Comment

When I sealed up the rubber snorkel on the airbox, it didn't help that much.
                  sigpic Too old, too many bikes, too many cars, too many things

Comment

My tube has a check valve of sorts.

Comment

Apparently they aren't all like this, but mine is only sealed after the filter. Anything before the filter, except of course for intake restriction, doesn't matter as much because it all has to go through the filter and will be filtered anyway. An unsealed 'box would make it run slightly leaner though.

Comment

Crikey...

"Sealing the airbox" doesn't mean making it airtight.

It simply means making sure that air can only flow into the airbox where and how it's designed to flow. Extra air makes your bike run lean and wonky.

On shafties, the snorkel on the back of the airbox is also a vital part of the equation.
                        1983 GS850G, Cosmos Blue.
                        2005 KLR685, Aztec Pink - Turd II.3, the ReReReTurdening
                        2015 Yamaha FJ-09, Magma Red Power Corrupts...
                        Eat more venison.

Please provide details. The GSR Hive Mind is nearly omniscient, but not yet clairvoyant.

Celeriter equita, converteque saepe.

SUPPORT THIS SITE! DONATE TODAY!

Co-host of "The Riding Obsession" sport-touring motorcycling podcast at tro.bike!

Comment

Originally posted by bwringer View Post
                          Crikey...

"Sealing the airbox" doesn't mean making it airtight.

It simply means making sure that air can only flow into the airbox where and how it's designed to flow. Extra air makes your bike run lean and wonky.

On shafties, the snorkel on the back of the airbox is also a vital part of the equation.
                          I seem to recall where removing a restriction in the drain hose solved an issue on a non-GS bike.

Comment

Originally posted by koolaid_kid View Post
                            I seem to recall where removing a restriction in the drain hose solved an issue on a non-GS bike.
                            Yeah, if your bike ends up underwater, make sure you pull the hose off to completely drain the airbox and check for trout...
                            1983 GS850G, Cosmos Blue.
                            2005 KLR685, Aztec Pink - Turd II.3, the ReReReTurdening
                            2015 Yamaha FJ-09, Magma Red Power Corrupts...
                            Eat more venison.

Please provide details. The GSR Hive Mind is nearly omniscient, but not yet clairvoyant.

Celeriter equita, converteque saepe.

SUPPORT THIS SITE! DONATE TODAY!

Co-host of "The Riding Obsession" sport-touring motorcycling podcast at tro.bike!

Comment

Comment

Working...
                              X