float needles

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

float needles

Is there a way to tell the difference between OEM and aftermarket float needles? I think the PO may have changed them but not sure. Fuel is flooding the #1 and #2 carb float bowls when i have it connected to an aux fuel tank. they have been cleaned and dipped, new o-rings from cycleorings, float heights are above 22 but less than 23 mm. There is a visible ring on the needle but it doesnt catch on a finger nail.

If they leak, something's wrong! maybe the needle valve is too short if it's aftermarket. measure the length and somone will know. Here's a pic allegedly of a mikuni one- looks something like my spare carb set one. Of course, you did replace that o-ring,right???
    1981 gs650L

"We are all born ignorant, but you have to work hard to stay stupid" Ben Franklin

Comment

Mine do look like those. After more digging and reading I think I am measuring the floats in the wrong place. Noob mistake but easily fixed... I hope. I was measuring from the very top instead of the step.

Comment

Float height should be 21.4mm +/- 1mm without gasket
        I have good stock needles and seats it you need some.
        1983 GS 1100E w/ 1230 kit, .340 lift Web Cams, Ape heavy duty valve springs, 83 1100 head with 1.5mm oversized SS intake valves, 1150 crank, Vance and Hines 1150 SuperHub, Star Racing high volume oil pump gears, 36mm carebs Dynojet stage 3 jet kit, Posplayr's SSPB, Progressive rear shocks and fork springs, Dyna 2000, Dynatek green coils and Vance & Hines 4-1 exhaust.
        1985 GS1150ES stock with 85 Red E bodywork.

Comment

thanks for the offer. I reset the floats on all the carbs to the proper height. they were all about 1 mm out of spec due to measuring at the top of the step instead of the top of the float itself. I guess the other 2 were jsut enough in spec that they closed the valve. I am waiting for jb weld to dry on the tool i made. tomorrow i will know were the level really is.

Comment

Originally posted by chef1366 View Post
            Float height should be 21.4mm +/- 1mm without gasket.
            My book says 22.4mm +/- 1.0mm.

sigpic
            mine: 2000 Honda GoldWing GL1500SE and 1980 GS850G'K' "Junior"
            hers: 1982 GS850GL - "Angel" and 1969 Suzuki T250 Scrambler
            #1 son: 1986 Yamaha Venture Royale 1300 and 1982 GS650GL "Rat Bagger"
            #2 son: 1980 GS1000G
            Family Portrait
            Siblings and Spouses
            Mom's first ride
            Want a copy of my valve adjust spreadsheet for your 2-valve per cylinder engine? Send me an e-mail request (not a PM)
            (Click on my username in the upper-left corner for e-mail info.)

Comment

After resetting the float height i tested it with the drain plug atached to a clear tube and all four floats stop flow of gas into the bowls, the gas in the tube was sat just below the top if the bowl. Put them back on adjusted the pilot screw synched the carbs went for a test ride. I ride it this morning to my buddys shop to return the tools i borrowed and to have him look over my work everything was fine. I ride around for a bit park back home 1 and 2 intakes are pouring out gas. I am stumped. Any thoughts?

Comment

Working...
              X