Newbie-First post-GS750E

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Newbie-First post-GS750E

So I was given a 1980 GS750E today and I'm really excited to get it running. The guy said two things need done: The tank needs reconnected since he took it off to paint and seal the inside. Also, he removed the right front brake caliper to replace. I have very little mechanical experience with motorcycles, but I am visual and normally can figure it out. Would anyone have pictures of everything connected under the tank? Also pictures of the right front side that includes the brake calipers? Would anyone know how I could get a technical manual for this bike?

Thanks
    Last edited by Guest; 08-13-2013, 08:57 AM.

Welcome to GSR.
    Get everything you need at BassCliff's website: http://members.dslextreme.com/users/bikecliff/
    Manuals, procedures, things you need to do, etc. Bookmark it.

Comment

Welcome from another newbie

Comment

Oh nice! Great website....thanks!

Let me ask a question....the one thing that I can't figure out is the brake line that goes to the left front caliper is missing to the right front caliper. Does the line start from the master cylinder on the right grip like the other one or does it T from the other line?
        Last edited by Guest; 08-13-2013, 08:57 AM.

Comment

If it is stock the brake line goes from the master cylinder down to a "T" fitting, then the "T" branches out to each caliper. Without pictures we can't tell. Plus, being 30+ years old it may have been changed by a previous owner.

Comment

Wow, you're a lucky guy, some of us pay good money for these.

BassCliff will be by eventually with your mega-welcome. Read it, breathe it, live it. And read the forums like a crazy person, you'll become a Suzuki GS and overall motorcycle-fixing expert in no time.

Welcome!
            Charles
            --
            1979 Suzuki GS850G

Read BassCliff's GSR Greeting and Mega-Welcome!

Comment

Originally posted by koolaid_kid View Post
              If it is stock the brake line goes from the master cylinder down to a "T" fitting, then the "T" branches out to each caliper. Without pictures we can't tell. Plus, being 30+ years old it may have been changed by a previous owner.
              Pics do help....

1979 GS1000

Comment

Below are the pictures of the left side that is intact, but currently the right caliper is off, but I can't tell where the brake line connects to?

Comment

Here's the second picture

Comment

If I had to guess I would think the brake line for the right caliper would be attached on the right side of this this part. The right side of this part goes to the master cylinder it looks like.
                    Last edited by Guest; 08-13-2013, 08:33 PM.

Comment

That is what I thought. The brake line on the left caliper goes straight to the master cylinder, correct?
                      First, the right caliper is missing.
                      Under the cover on the steering stem should be the T connector. If you had a caliper on the right side, the master cylinder would go to the t connector on the steering stem, then branch off to each caliper, for a total of 3 brake lines.

Comment

The guy told me he took the right caliper off to do something with the brakes so currently it's on my bench. I don't see a brake line that he detached so maybe he threw it out or got lost. I looked under the tree, but I guess I don't see where it "T's" anywhere that another brake line would go down to the right side. Sorry, I'm real new at this stuff.

Comment

Go to BassCliff's site and download the Factory Service Manual for your bike. It will all be layed out for you in the pictures.

Comment

Is the T fitting you are referring to where the red arrow is pointing? If so I don't see any missing connection for a second line. If your looking at it from the front the right connector goes down to the caliper that's currently installed. The left connect goes to the master cylinder so I don't see where a 3rd line would attach to that would go to the caliper that's currently not installed. Thanks again for the help, I'm confused.

Comment

That t looks a lot like the one from my single disk front.

Comment

Working...
                              X