Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

1982 GS650GL Carb Question

Hello everyone, first post for me.

I am the new owner of a 1982 GS650G. Turns over but doesn't run. Runs for a few seconds if starter fluid is sprayed in the air box, so I'm assuming it isn't getting any fuel from the carbs.

I read this thread (http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...d.php?t=210175) which helped me a little. I twisted the petcock to "PRI" and gas started leaking from my carbs, so I know I need new O-rings from cycleorings.com. If I'm correct, I have the Mikuni BS series. I also plan on getting the 38mm O-rings and 16mm screws for the intake boots, just in case. My total is $25.75 shipped for all the aforementioned parts, not bad!

Any other troubleshooting tips before I tear these carbs off? Any other parts I should buy now, just in case? Let me know, thanks!

PS, I already have the CV Carb Rebuild Tutorial (http://www.mtsac.edu/~cliff/storage/...d_Tutorial.pdf) saved on my PC.
    Last edited by Guest; 08-19-2013, 02:39 PM.

Welcome, carb removal and reinstall is no fun on this critter, so follow the carb cleaning tutorial religiously and you might not have to play with them again for long time. Understand that the tiny passages get easily clogged from sitting in gunk
    Stock airbox ?, stock exhaust?
    1981 gs650L

"We are all born ignorant, but you have to work hard to stay stupid" Ben Franklin

Comment

Originally posted by tom203 View Post
      Welcome, carb removal and reinstall is no fun on this critter, so follow the carb cleaning tutorial religiously and you might not have to play with them again for long time. Understand that the tiny passages get easily clogged from sitting in gunk
      Stock airbox ?, stock exhaust?
      As far as I know, everything is stock aside from the paint. I saw in the BikeCliff welcome that the airbox and air filter sealing are important. Mine does not have the clamp to keep it sealed closed (someone used zip ties). I guess I should research that as well.

Comment

Welcome to the site... Nice bikes thgose 650's. I've had a couple over the years & liked them.

I would also plan on doing a valve adjustment too - get that done while you're waiting for your parts. Check BikeCliffs site for a tutorial on that; you'll need a new valve cover gasket most likely.

So, tell us a bit more about your bike & where you're located, pics are always welcome too!

Mileage?
        Known issues?
        Mods?
        Maintenance done?

Download yourself the GS650G service manual at BikeCliffs site as well...
        '85 GS550L - SOLD
        '85 GS550E - SOLD
        '82 GS650GL - SOLD
        '81 GS750L - SOLD
        '82 GS850GL - trusty steed
        '80 GS1100L - son's project bike
        '82 GS1100G - SOLD
        '81 GS1100E - Big Red (daily rider)

Comment

Originally posted by hikermikem View Post
          Welcome to the site... Nice bikes thgose 650's. I've had a couple over the years & liked them.

I would also plan on doing a valve adjustment too - get that done while you're waiting for your parts. Check BikeCliffs site for a tutorial on that; you'll need a new valve cover gasket most likely.

So, tell us a bit more about your bike & where you're located, pics are always welcome too!

Mileage?
          Known issues?
          Mods?
          Maintenance done?

Download yourself the GS650G service manual at BikeCliffs site as well...
          Thanks for the recommendation! I'm in Clarksville, TN. Picked the bike up off of Craigslist, but he already took the ad down so I can't copy his pictures (I haven't taken any). 23,XXX miles. It's a little beat up around the edges. Painted 2012 Camaro green. No maintenance done that I know of (I'll be doing all that shortly) and the mods are very minimal (removed grab bar, different blinkers, paint, grips, etc.). That's all I know for now - still trying to learn more.

Comment

Yes, your bike is not a true "L" model (which most here would be thrilled about), as it looks to have been "de-L'ed" a bit.

The front forks are not the L model, they aren't leading axle, and they have dual calipers (the L has only a single caliper).

The rear looks like it was modified, doesn't look like the standard G or L model.

(BTW, the "G" designation simply denotes shaft drive)

The fuel tank appears to be an L model tank.

The seat looks like the G model.

The bars are certainly not the L buckhorns...

However, that bike looks very nice to me - the 650 has plenty of pep & handles quite well, good luck with it.

Plenty of knowledge here about all things GS - don't be afraid to ask questions...
            '85 GS550L - SOLD
            '85 GS550E - SOLD
            '82 GS650GL - SOLD
            '81 GS750L - SOLD
            '82 GS850GL - trusty steed
            '80 GS1100L - son's project bike
            '82 GS1100G - SOLD
            '81 GS1100E - Big Red (daily rider)

Comment

Originally posted by hikermikem View Post
              Yes, your bike is not a true "L" model (which most here would be thrilled about), as it looks to have been "de-L'ed" a bit.

The front forks are not the L model, they aren't leading axle, and they have dual calipers (the L has only a single caliper).

The rear looks like it was modified, doesn't look like the standard G or L model.

(BTW, the "G" designation simply denotes shaft drive)

The fuel tank appears to be an L model tank.

The seat looks like the G model.

The bars are certainly not the L buckhorns...

However, that bike looks very nice to me - the 650 has plenty of pep & handles quite well, good luck with it.

Plenty of knowledge here about all things GS - don't be afraid to ask questions...
              Thank you for your help! I had no idea about the mixing/matching of parts that the previous owner had done. I noticed the dual-disc setup in the front, but I wasn't sure if it was factory or swapped. I like how it looks, too - I just need to get it running!
              Also, it came with the factory grab bar, turn signals, etc. Also came with a larger gas tank (not sure what it's from, it's a Suzuki tank though).

I'm anxious to ride it. I've had four previous motorcycles (ZX-6R, ZX-6RR, ZX-6R 636, F4i) and I'm curious to see how this one rides. I like the vintage look and I'm glad to have something that will be more comfortable.

Comment

Definitely does not look like a 650L.

The one linked in my sig is my son's version of a 650L, with a few additions.

It is also green, just a different shade.

Last edited by Steve; 08-19-2013, 12:09 AM.
                sigpic
                mine: 2000 Honda GoldWing GL1500SE and 1980 GS850G'K' "Junior"
                hers: 1982 GS850GL - "Angel" and 1969 Suzuki T250 Scrambler
                #1 son: 1986 Yamaha Venture Royale 1300 and 1982 GS650GL "Rat Bagger"
                #2 son: 1980 GS1000G
                Family Portrait
                Siblings and Spouses
                Mom's first ride
                Want a copy of my valve adjust spreadsheet for your 2-valve per cylinder engine? Send me an e-mail request (not a PM)
                (Click on my username in the upper-left corner for e-mail info.)

Comment

Pretty sure it's a straight 650G, with an L tank. I have the correct tank for the G if you are interested.

Life is too short to ride an L.

Comment

Update: Took off the tank and noticed a few things. First, the vacuum port on carb #2 didn't have a hose on it. This is the hose that runs to the petcock, if I am correct (based on this link http://members.dslextreme.com/users/...locations.html). My fuel line (from tank to carbs) appears to be old/cracked/brittle, so that may have been the source of my leak when I set the petcock to PRI. I will replace this hose and the petcock hose today.

In addition, the carb that holds the linkage which connects to the throttle had three loose top cover screws. They have been tightened.

I'm hoping that the lack of the petcock-to-#2 carb vacuum port hose was keeping the tank from supplying the carbs with fuel. Thoughts?

Comment

Well, I'm hoping that you'll bite the bullet and opt for full proper carb clean rather than look/hope/pray for shortcut-sounds like a PO has messed with things, so best to assume it was done wrong. Find out now and correct things to avoid mega frustration.
                      1981 gs650L

"We are all born ignorant, but you have to work hard to stay stupid" Ben Franklin

Comment

Well, I'm hoping that you'll bite the bullet and opt for full proper carb clean rather than look/hope/pray for shortcut-sounds like a PO has messed with things, so best to assume it was done wrong. Find out now and correct things to avoid mega frustration.
                        I already ordered all of the o-rings and whatnot from cycleorings.com. I'm still doing the proper carb clean. While I'm waiting for them to arrive, I am trying to fix other problems, such as missing vacuum hoses, sealing the airbox, etc.

Any idea where I can find an airbox clamp? Mine has holes drilled in it with zip ties.

Comment

The band clamp that holds airfilter box to airbox???

While you deal with carbs, lots of other issues to check- have you see these comments from bwringer regarding common issues?

absolutely check valve clearances and make sure auto camchain tensioner is working - with carbs off, this is easy
                          1981 gs650L

Comment

The band clamp that holds airfilter box to airbox???

While you deal with carbs, lots of other issues to check- have you see these comments from bwringer regarding common issues?

absolutely check valve clearances and make sure auto camchain tensioner is working - with carbs off, this is easy
                            I'm referring to the door that is removed to replace the filter. The door/cover is held on by zip ties. The top of the box looks like there is supposed to be a clamp on it. Also, yes, I have read the list of common issues.

Found a pic:

It's the rectangular piece near the top left corner of the pic. Has two small dots on it. Looks like it keeps the cover of the airbox connected.

Just replaced the vacuum line from petcock to #2 carb. No change, still won't start. Seems like the engine turns over slightly quicker if I twist the throttle a little bit. I'm nearly 100% positive the carbs need a good cleaning.
                            Last edited by Guest; 08-19-2013, 04:31 PM.

Comment

There are two "sliders" that hold filter cover on- one on top and one on bottom. part #13 in this fiche link- apparently still available at suzuki dealer.

Note that diagram is oriented wrong

Unless petcock looks newish,Do yourself a favor and just replace petcock ( $50 or so ) and eliminate it as a problem and focus on carbs.
                              1981 gs650L

Comment

Working...
                              X