1982 GS650GL Carb Question

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by tom203 View Post
    There are two "sliders" that hold filter cover on- one on top and one on bottom. part #13 in this fiche link- apparently still available at suzuki dealer.

Note that diagram is oriented wrong

Unless petcock looks newish,Do yourself a favor and just replace petcock ( $50 or so ) and eliminate it as a problem and focus on carbs.
    Thank you for the link - got some sliders ordered. The petcock seems to be okay, and seems to be releasing fuel to the carbs. I'll probably order one after I get the carbs cleaned and reinstalled.

Comment

So I decided to leave the vacuum hose hooked up (carb to petcock) but unhook the gas line from the tank. Figured if it was getting vacuum, fuel would spill out the tank while I tried to start the bike. No fuel came out. This means I either have no vacuum (doubtful), or a bad petcock, I assume?

Comment

Test it. Suck on the vacuum hose, fuel should come out the fuel hose. Stop sucking, fuel should stop coming out the other hose. If you get fuel in the vacuum hose, the diaphragm is leaking....

You can use a mighty vac or syringe or similar to suck if you want to.
        http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v5...tatesMap-1.jpg

Life is too short to ride an L.

Comment

Originally posted by white94cam View Post
          Thank you for the link - got some sliders ordered.
          Hopefully you did not order from that source.

If you did, chalone lesson learned. Alpha Sports happens to be the MOST expensive site around, charging 10-15% ABOVE retail, while others charge 10-20% BELOW retail.

We only keep referring to Alpha bcause they have some very nice pictures in the parts fiche and they also have a very nice progression of superceded part numbers, when necessary. Oh, yeah, they also have a decent "what bikes did that part number fit?" search feature.

If you have gotten your welome package from BassCliff, there is a list of vendors there that are MUCH more preferred.

Just as an example, for that part #13:
          Alpha Sports - $2.97
          Bike Bandit - $2.42 (they claim retail price is $2.42)
          Boulevard Suzuki - $1.57 (they claim retail price is $2.20)
          G&S Suzuki - $1.62 (they claim retail price is $2.20)

Fortunately there was not much money involved this time around, but the principle is the same.

sigpic
          mine: 2000 Honda GoldWing GL1500SE and 1980 GS850G'K' "Junior"
          hers: 1982 GS850GL - "Angel" and 1969 Suzuki T250 Scrambler
          #1 son: 1986 Yamaha Venture Royale 1300 and 1982 GS650GL "Rat Bagger"
          #2 son: 1980 GS1000G
          Family Portrait
          Siblings and Spouses
          Mom's first ride
          Want a copy of my valve adjust spreadsheet for your 2-valve per cylinder engine? Send me an e-mail request (not a PM)
          (Click on my username in the upper-left corner for e-mail info.)

Comment

Originally posted by Steve View Post
            Hopefully you did not order from that source.

I was trying to stimulate Maine economy! Yeah, lots of their prices are silly, but Alpha Sports is local to me and they are nice people to deal with direct.
            1981 gs650L

"We are all born ignorant, but you have to work hard to stay stupid" Ben Franklin

Comment

I'll re-test the tank today - I'm not sure I had enough fuel in it yesterday when I tested it.

Also, I ordered the sliders from my local dealer. $4.XX for both and I can pick them up when they arrive.

Comment

Re-tested the tank today. Didn't use enough fuel yesterday I don't think. Petcock is operational. There is no fuel flow when petcock is ON without vaccum, fuel flows nicely when ON with vacuum. Fuel dribbles slow on PRI. Good to go, O-rings should be here tomorrow.

Comment

Originally posted by white94cam View Post
                  ... There is no fuel flow when petcock is ON without vaccum, fuel flows nicely when ON with vacuum. Fuel dribbles slow on PRI.
                  Fuel should flow nicely in PR (as good/better as ON with vacuum )- pickup is at very bottom of tank where sediment is likely to settle.
                  1981 gs650L

"We are all born ignorant, but you have to work hard to stay stupid" Ben Franklin

Comment

O-rings have arrived. What is the best way to remove the carbs from this bike? Disconnect the "middle" airbox from the carbs first, or disconnect the intake boots first? etc. I'm sure there is a recommendation for the removal sequence?

Comment

No matter what you disconnect first, you will need to loosen airfilter box from its moorings so you can slide it back ( push aside/remove anything that prevents this, like wires). One half of inch would be nice, but it ain't there.
                      1981 gs650L

Comment

Carbs have been removed, dipped, and partially reassembled. Need some new float bowl gaskets - where from? Z1?

Comment

Guess I will order these unless someone has another recommendation: http://www.z1enterprises.com/ItemDet...item=KL18-2612

Comment

Rebuilt carbs are installed. Rode the bike today for the first time. It is running a bit rich, and fuel spills out the airbox vent tube. The petcock appears to be leaking in the "ON" setting. I don't see any gas coming out of the vents in between the outer carbs. Thoughts?

Edit: I also need some spark plug caps (?) that connect the wire to the plug. Also need plugs, valve cover gasket, and a header/exhaust manifold bolt. What plugs should I get? Also need to know where (Z1 I guess?). Thanks!
                            Last edited by Guest; 09-04-2013, 09:07 PM.

Comment

I'll assume you meant fuel was leaking out of airbox drain (not vent) tube. This means that fuel is getting by needle float seats- did you leave petcock on "PR" spot? If No, then the leaking in "ON" means your float height is wrong, or your seats are no good . (you said prevously that you tested petcock, right ???). Correct the problem as fuel is likely finding its way to crankcase oil.
                              1981 gs650L

Comment

Originally posted by tom203 View Post
                                I'll assume you meant fuel was leaking out of airbox drain (not vent) tube. This means that fuel is getting by needle float seats- did you leave petcock on "PR" spot? If No, then the leaking in "ON" means your float height is wrong, or your seats are no good . (you said prevously that you tested petcock, right ???). Correct the problem as fuel is likely finding its way to crankcase oil.
                                Yes, the airbox drain, sorry for the confusion. The tank was in the ON position. If the float height and/or seats were the problem, wouldn't the carbs leak from the two vents (in between the carb bodies) rather than the airbox vent? I tested the petcock previously and it seemed to work fine, but yesterday gas was leaking out in the ON position.

Comment

Working...
                                X