Petcock alternative?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Petcock alternative?

Is there a petcock from another bike that can replace the vacuum operated petcock on an 81 GS850? I rebuilt the petcock on mine twice, once with K&L and second time with Suzuki parts, and it started leaking again after turning it to reserve one time. Now in the run position it's still leaking a slow drip. With the tank removed and the petcock in the run or reserve position it continues a slow drip out of the outlet tube. Thanks, tommyturbo2

Just replace it with a new petcock - one can be had from Z1 Enterprises for an affordable price.
    Cowboy Up or Quit. - Run Free Lou and Rest in Peace

1981 GS550T - My First
    1981 GS550L - My Eldest Daughter's - Now Sold
    2007 GSF1250SA Bandit - My touring bike

Sit tall in the saddle Hold your head up high
    Keep your eyes fixed where the trail meets the sky and live like you ain't afraid to die
    and don't be scared, just enjoy your ride - Chris Ledoux, "The Ride"

Comment

Get a new pet cock or pingle valve. Members have had very mixed results with rebuild kits.

Comment

You'll have to cross reference to see if the 80 and 81 petcocks are the same, but if they are Georgefix has one for $46. I've bought from him before with excellent results and fast and free shipping.

Old age and treachery will beat youth and skill every time
        Originally Posted by Schweisshund I mean, sure, guns were used in some of these mass shootings, but not all of them
        1983 GS 750

Comment

Originally posted by bccap View Post
          You'll have to cross reference to see if the 80 and 81 petcocks are the same, ...
          On the 850, they are, but the one shown in that ad is not the correct one.

I just looked through George's store listing, did not see any that were proper for the 850G.

A new one from Boulevard Suzuki is $77.56.

sigpic
          mine: 2000 Honda GoldWing GL1500SE and 1980 GS850G'K' "Junior"
          hers: 1982 GS850GL - "Angel" and 1969 Suzuki T250 Scrambler
          #1 son: 1986 Yamaha Venture Royale 1300 and 1982 GS650GL "Rat Bagger"
          #2 son: 1980 GS1000G
          Family Portrait
          Siblings and Spouses
          Mom's first ride
          Want a copy of my valve adjust spreadsheet for your 2-valve per cylinder engine? Send me an e-mail request (not a PM)
          (Click on my username in the upper-left corner for e-mail info.)

Comment

Oops...Sorry about that. I just looked through George's compatible vehicles and it appears to be for the L tank.Too bad, his prices are excellent.
            Old age and treachery will beat youth and skill every time
            Originally Posted by Schweisshund I mean, sure, guns were used in some of these mass shootings, but not all of them
            1983 GS 750

Comment

Originally posted by bccap View Post
              Oops...Sorry about that. I just looked through George's ...... his prices are excellent.
              Z1 is less (for a 1981 GL750L[x])

Z1 $51.40 - http://www.z1enterprises.com/ItemDet...item=KL18-4359

GeorgeFix $59.95 - http://www.ebay.com/itm/GS300-GS450-...item2c721cead9
              1981 GS750L - Owned since 1990 when graduated high school and since have been discovering all the things not disclosed by seller.
              1983 GS750E - bought in 2016 as a rough runner to use while rebuilding 81L and then to combine with ES to make one good one
              1983 GS750ES - bought in Toronto in 2015 on a lark as a non-runner, missing front cowling and exhaust - If you have a 1983 750ES front cowling let me know! Blue would be nice

Comment

You can never go wrong with a Pingle. More expensive but well worth it. Very well made pet cock and easy to use. I love mine

Comment

Originally posted by bomber737 View Post
                  You can never go wrong with a Pingle. More expensive but well worth it. Very well made pet cock and easy to use. I love mine
                  I've got a pingle on my 1100, and a vacuum pet cock on my 750. I won't lie, I sometimes forget to turn off the pingle. The pingle is very effective when used properly though

Comment

Z1 does not carry the one for the 81' IIRC. Just tried to buy one for my 80' and believe they are the same

Comment

I'm interested in purchasing a Pingel when I save a few more pennies. Do they offer adapter plates for most of the gs bikes?

Comment

Working...
                      X