Which aftermarket exhaust?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Which aftermarket exhaust?

So, I'm going to use my original exhaust for a while. Have a replacement pre-muffler coming, thanks to RustyBronco! My mufflers are ok, but the headers won't work for me longterm. Tried to clean them up, but they are too far gone to ever make them look good.

I'll be setting some $ aside for a new exhaust system. I've been looking at the aftermarket guys (V & H, Mac, etc.) I haven't found aything listed on any of the websites that say it will fit my bike. I even e-mailed Mac, they said they only make systems for 81 and earlier for the 850's.

I've seen pics of many bikes here using aftermarket systems, mostly 4 into 1. What will fit? Do I just need to fab some brackets? I prefer the look of 4 into 2. Is there a performance advantage with 4 into 1, or are they just less expensive? I prefer chrome. Please tell me what you guys have done. Pics too, please!
    https://drive.google.com/open?id=0B9zH8w8Civs8ejBJWjdvYi1LNTg&resourcekey=0-hlJp0Yc4K_VN9g7Jyy4KQg&authuser=fussbucket_1%40msn.com&usp=drive_fs
    1983 GS750ED-Horsetraded for the Ironhead
    1981 HD XLH

Drew's 850 L Restoration

Drew's 83 750E Project

Originally posted by jsandidge View Post
    So, I'm going to use my original exhaust for a while. Have a replacement pre-muffler coming, thanks to RustyBronco! My mufflers are ok, but the headers won't work for me longterm. Tried to clean them up, but they are too far gone to ever make them look good.

I'll be setting some $ aside for a new exhaust system. I've been looking at the aftermarket guys (V & H, Mac, etc.) I haven't found aything listed on any of the websites that say it will fit my bike. I even e-mailed Mac, they said they only make systems for 81 and earlier for the 850's.

I've seen pics of many bikes here using aftermarket systems, mostly 4 into 1. What will fit? Do I just need to fab some brackets? I prefer the look of 4 into 2. Is there a performance advantage with 4 into 1, or are they just less expensive? I prefer chrome. Please tell me what you guys have done. Pics too, please!
    V&H is probably your best bet unless you want to find a pricey system from Europe or Japan.

Comment

Check out Marving... they were the only makers who any sort of aftermarket exhaust for my gsx400f 81.

Comment

opinions?

Anyone have opinions regarding 4 into 2 vs 4 into 1? Which performs better? Who carries them?
        https://drive.google.com/open?id=0B9zH8w8Civs8ejBJWjdvYi1LNTg&resourcekey=0-hlJp0Yc4K_VN9g7Jyy4KQg&authuser=fussbucket_1%40msn.com&usp=drive_fs
        1983 GS750ED-Horsetraded for the Ironhead
        1981 HD XLH

Drew's 850 L Restoration

Drew's 83 750E Project

Comment

The performance difference depends totally on the design. Aftermarket pipes need to be tuned for performance. A poorly designed 4 into 1 may be outperformed by the stock exhaust.
          I would look to V&H over Mac simply for their quality.

Comment

Working...
          X