No Gas flow -- Please help

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

No Gas flow -- Please help

Well I just re-installed my carbs after having them rebuilt. I put a new fuel line on with a inline filter. Got all the hoses hooked up per BASCLIFF site. The gas is not coming out of the petcock. I have tried putting it on Prime and let it set, no luck. Tried starting the bike to create the vacuum, no luck.

Ant suggestions?

Jay

Assuming you have gas in the tank.

Have you tried to see if gas will flow into a cup from before the filter?
    http://img633.imageshack.us/img633/811/douMvs.jpg
    1980 GS1000GT (Daily rider with a 1983 1100G engine)
    1998 Honda ST1100 (Daily long distance rider)
    1982 GS850GLZ (Daily rider when the weather is crap)

Darn, with so many daily riders it's hard to decide which one to jump on next.;)

JTGS850GL aka Julius

GS Resource Greetings

Comment

pull the fuel line off the petcock and switch it to prime and see if gas flows then. if not, petcock is faulty. if so, 1st remove inline filter. they are crap and you dont need it, then see if bowls are filling up.

i take it you have enough fuel in the tank!!!!
      1978 GS1085.

Just remember, an opinion without 3.14 is just an onion!

Comment

Remove the vacuum line that goes from the carbs to the petcock, suck on the line. If your petcock is working properly gas will come out the fuel line. If no flow, remove petcock and make sure filter is not clogged. Any rust in the tank?
        If petcock is original I would replace as preventative maintenance.

Comment

Gas tank is full. I pulled the line off at the inline fuel filter and set to prime, no flow. I then blew on the hose to see if maybe it was clogged. I was able to blow air back through the petcock as I could hear the air bubbles coming up through the tank. This was supposed to be a new petcock, possible that its bad?

Comment

If I do need a new petcock will this one work. It says it fits my bike. anyone have any bad luck with it?

Jay

Comment

I'd get a stock petcock from Suzuki. Same price and a known commodity.

Strange that you can blow air into the tank but no flow out when on prime. How hard is it to blow into the tank? If it's really hard then the petcock is clogged.

How rusty is the tank?
              http://img633.imageshack.us/img633/811/douMvs.jpg
              1980 GS1000GT (Daily rider with a 1983 1100G engine)
              1998 Honda ST1100 (Daily long distance rider)
              1982 GS850GLZ (Daily rider when the weather is crap)

Darn, with so many daily riders it's hard to decide which one to jump on next.;)

JTGS850GL aka Julius

GS Resource Greetings

Comment

Not hard to get air into the tank. I just cleaned the tank so all the rust is gone. I will order a new petcock.

Thanks

Comment

Gas tank is full. I pulled the line off at the inline fuel filter and set to prime, no flow. I then blew on the hose to see if maybe it was clogged. I was able to blow air back through the petcock as I could hear the air bubbles coming up through the tank. This was supposed to be a new petcock, possible that its bad?
                  You need to pull a vacuum on the line not pressure. With the petcock set to on, if you put vacuum on the line gas should flow out of the large fitting on the petcock.

Comment

I am having the same problem....I don;t think it is your petcock though. Go see my thread. YOur petcok possibly doesnt have the PRIMe setting that many talk about. The fuel is either On or coming out of reserve or OFF. Unfortunately though, your petcock required the vacuum suction in order that the fuel be allowed to flow down into the carbs which in turn will drive the engine.

If you take the tank off and put fuel in the clear fuel tube which will fill the carbs, will the bike start?

I'm having a similar problem so read the thread that I have and maybe we can fix this issue together.

Mark

Comment

I used compressor and blew in to the tank from the fuel line. It cleared whatever was blocking it and its working fine now.

Comment

Working...
                      X