GS1100 Carb issue-delayed response

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

GS1100 Carb issue-delayed response

Hoping one of the super genius dudes on here can help me. I got my 81 GS1100 back together a few months back with the help of RapidRay and his stash of big end rotors. I had my motor built a while back by a shop that, i think, put it together with a bad rotor, long story short i got a bike that wouldnt run after a month with a fresh motor. I pulled it, got a big end crank, got the rotor from ray, and put it back together myself. I removed the supertrapp header and put a dragbike header on it and a tuneable muffler, the carbs are cleaned, the head has some mild work done to it and i have pod filters on it. The issue i have now is that it seems like the throttle response out of the carbs is not instant. If i turn the throttle it has to ease itself into it and it waits until about a 1/4 of the way into it, then it rockets in rpms. It makes it really hard to release the clutch, as now i have to kinda ride it out to just get it to take off in 1st. Hoping there is an easy fix, maybe jetting is off, or an adjustment can be made. I would take it to the dyno but 125 an hour isnt so friendly on the wallet. thanks for any help guys, anybodys time is much appreciated.

do you have vacuum carbs and if so do you have a st.3 jet kit installed?
    if not....do it and you'll be fixed.
    plus no cheap chrome cone junk filters...buy some K&N look a likes for 60 bucks.

Comment

Yes, get close to the proper jetting, then go spend that 125/hr, it will be worth it.

Look at it this way, with your engine built the way it is, how much would it cost to duplicate it?

Would you be willing to spend $125-250 to ensure that it won't blow up due to improper jetting?

sigpic
      mine: 2000 Honda GoldWing GL1500SE and 1980 GS850G'K' "Junior"
      hers: 1982 GS850GL - "Angel" and 1969 Suzuki T250 Scrambler
      #1 son: 1986 Yamaha Venture Royale 1300 and 1982 GS650GL "Rat Bagger"
      #2 son: 1980 GS1000G
      Family Portrait
      Siblings and Spouses
      Mom's first ride
      Want a copy of my valve adjust spreadsheet for your 2-valve per cylinder engine? Send me an e-mail request (not a PM)
      (Click on my username in the upper-left corner for e-mail info.)

Comment

I do have the cheap cones, knew i should have bought good ones, just couldnt find them at the time. I did buy a jet kit from stigma if i remember right, just not sure what they sent me, its been a few months since i put that in the carbs. what would stock jetting be or where do i find that info so i can see what i have in there. not sure if they are vacuum carbs, they are mikunis i believe, think they are the stock ones.

Comment

Why don't you ask Rapid Ray, he would know what you have ?

Comment

Working...
          X