Tank Question

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Tank Question

Hello all kinda new to this gs resources forum good to see there is Stuff for gs bikes my question is its going to sound silly I bought a gs850 customised not so long ago and have been doing some work on her for some time its only the carbs to be fitted tommorow and she's ready but on the tank there our 3 tubes one for fuel one vacum and one near the front of the tank where the fuel gage connection goes and I was wondering if anyone could shed a light as to where this is connected to or if it needs connecting at all I have changed the vacum to gravity fed now and was wondering of this would effect my bike in any way cheers all help is apreciated.

Fromos13

I think the hose your looking at is a drain in case the fuel level sender springs a leak. Just like battery box drains. I went to check the routing on my bike and it's missing . Sure it was there when I did the shims a few weeks back.
    If you are on gravity you obviously have blanked off the vac port on the carb and it would be good practice to shut off the fuel everytime you park up. If the float needles ever stick you will have fuel over the floor or a filled cylinder that will hydraulic lock when you crank.
    Pardon my manners - Welcome to the forum - I suspect you will get more to this effect soon, as I did

When you say gravity do you mean PRIme on the stock petcock or you've fitted an on/off. PRIme would make me uneasy but then I'm paranoid when it comes to fuel leaks.
    Last edited by Brendan W; 09-13-2013, 06:42 AM.
    97 R1100R
    Previous
    80 GS850G, 79 Z400B, 85 R100RT, 80 Z650D, 76 CB200

Comment

fuel

so for the drain on the tank should I just have a tube going of to knowhere then like the engine breather and I'm not to worried about the hydro lock I am abit old school in the way that I will just stop the flow of fuel with a peg or something as the fuel tap has no on or off switch thanks for the welcoming well apreciated.

I have been through hell and back with my gs but where nearly there the bike had a coil break down orginally thus getting me towed home by a friend and the carbs are in need of a diapragm set and some gaskets for the carb any idea where I can purchase something like this in the uk ????

Cheers.
      Fromos13

Comment

I think I'll run it over the airbox and down the back of the swing arm with the battery vent. Just keep it way from hot things or sources of ignition as they say nowadays.

BassCliffe's site has downloadable service manuals which show amongst other things routing for cables and wiring.
        These guys might be worth a call for carb parts. I have not dealt with them
        Motocarb Mikuni Motorcycle Carburettors and Parts

Here is a typical parts site http://www.cmsnl.com/suzuki-gs850-19...500/partslist/
        All I can say is that compared to them , after postage etc, I was pleasantly surprised when I bought from the local family run bike shop. Online stores are not all as clever as they pretend.
        97 R1100R
        Previous
        80 GS850G, 79 Z400B, 85 R100RT, 80 Z650D, 76 CB200

Comment

Working...
        X