which carbs are correct, 81 GS1000G

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

which carbs are correct, 81 GS1000G

I have been working on my Wifes GS1000G and I had to use the carbs I had rebuilt for it on my 80 GS1000. Not thinking I just swapped the main jets and the air compensation jets and put them on my 1000E. Now that I have re-cleaned the carbs I pulled off my 80 1000E I noticed that the butterfly valve says 135 and the parts carbs I was going to clean say 140. The O.D. are the same so they should fit in the intake boots. But the slide springs in the ones with the 140 butterfly vales have much larger in diameter and longer in length. So I was wondering if I can just clean the ones with the 140 butterfly valves and use them on the GS1000G engine or if I should re-use the carbs that come off my GS1000E which have the 135 butterfly valves. I have rebuild kits for the G engine with the correct jets for it. And I have looked at the spreadsheet for these models but it only lists BS34ss for both of these bikes. Any one have any idea which I should use? Here are some pictures of the butterfly valve and as you can see the springs for the slides are very different as is looking down the slides. And the needle profiles are different as well. the less tapered ones are from the 135's and the pointy needles are from the 140's.
    Springs 140's on the left

Inside of the slides 135's on left

Different needle profiles

When I purchased these they were listed as GS1000G's by the seller on ebay. Are these parts carbs from a GSX?
    Last edited by Guest; 09-19-2013, 12:46 AM.

Everything on the left looks like my carbs from my 80' 1000G. Not sure what the stuff on the right is from.
    Rob
    1983 1100ES, 98' ST1100, 02' DR-Z400E and a few other 'bits and pieces'
    Are you on the GSR Google Earth Map yet? http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...d.php?t=170533

Comment

The slides on the left look like the ones on my 1980 GS1000 G also.

Comment

Ok thanks guys. I guess I will have to deal with the idle mixture screw on the set I pulled off my 1000. I was trying to avoid this but I just cant use that other set of carbs. I would really like to find out what they belong to.

Comment

Post pics of the other carbs. Someone here may recognize them.
          Dogma
          --
          O LORD, be gracious to me; heal me, for I have sinned against you! - David

Skeptical scrutiny is the means, in both science and religion, by which deep insights can be winnowed from deep nonsense. - Carl Sagan

--
          '80 GS850 GLT
          '80 GS1000 GT
          '01 ZRX1200R

How to get a "What's New" feed without the Vortex, and without permanently quitting the Vortex

Comment

Hi,

Isn't the needle on the right from a Dynojet kit?

Thank you for your indulgence,

BassCliff

Comment

When I get home I will post pictures of the set of carbs. Does dyna jet stamp anything on their needles? Maby these carbs did have a dyna jet kit put in.

Comment

Working...
              X