Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Carb sync tool

Hello

Can I buy a carb sync tool that sycs two carbs at once and get away with it working or do I have to do all four at the same time?

Thank you.

There are some that claim that you can, but once you see all four at once and how each adjustment affects all the others, you will insist on having the proper tool.

The current favorite is the Morgan Carbtune. It comes from England, so the price varies with the exchange rate. Today's price is $107.43.

sigpic
    mine: 2000 Honda GoldWing GL1500SE and 1980 GS850G'K' "Junior"
    hers: 1982 GS850GL - "Angel" and 1969 Suzuki T250 Scrambler
    #1 son: 1986 Yamaha Venture Royale 1300 and 1982 GS650GL "Rat Bagger"
    #2 son: 1980 GS1000G
    Family Portrait
    Siblings and Spouses
    Mom's first ride
    Want a copy of my valve adjust spreadsheet for your 2-valve per cylinder engine? Send me an e-mail request (not a PM)
    (Click on my username in the upper-left corner for e-mail info.)

Comment

I'm not sure what you are asking. Tools like the Morgan Carbtune have 4 columns so you can do up to 4 carbs. You can attach only 2 tubes to synch one pair of carbs if that is what you are asking.

When doing 4 carbs you synch #1 to #2 then #3to #4 then the first pair to the second.

Hope that helps.

Comment

What do you guys think about this one. I will only need it rarely. I not work on motorcycles daily.

Comment

I think he's asking if a twin cylinder sync tool can be used on a 4 cyl bike, synching one pair, then the other pair. Like Steve said, I don't know how you would be sure that the pairs are synched to each other. My advice is get the right tool for the job.

Comment

Never had good luck with cheap dial gauges. They're always a little differant and require constant verification to make sure all the dials react the same. I picked up a Morgan Carbtune and love the way it works. What ever you do, I'd go with a true 4 channel model since the bouncing back and fourth plugging and unplugging will take MUCH longer and create errors that are not easily seen since one carb adjustment effects the others.

Get the right tool for the job. Even if you only use it a couple times a year, it will still pay off on providing you with a better tune. In the end, if you buy the Morgan, you can always sell it and recoupe most of what you paid for it since they keep their value and are harder to come by.

Steve: That $107.43 doesn't include shipping. I found a similar deal at:

Morgan Carbtune Pro 4-Column Throttle Body - Carb Synchronizer Carbtune Pro motorcycle throttle body & carburetor synchronizer will easily and accurately sync the ...

When you factor in shipping it comes out a little cheaper and you don't have to deal with customs hastles and delays since they keep them in stock in the USA. Received mine 4 days after ordering and that included the weekend since I ordered it on a Friday.

1980 GS1000GT (Daily rider with a 1983 1100G engine)
            1998 Honda ST1100 (Daily long distance rider)
            1982 GS850GLZ (Daily rider when the weather is crap)

Darn, with so many daily riders it's hard to decide which one to jump on next.

JTGS850GL aka Julius

GS Resource Greetings

Comment

I picked up a less expensive 4 gauge. I think straight from Morgan with shipping is 100 to the US>

Comment

Nope, more then $100 for sure when you include shipping.

JTGS850GL aka Julius

GS Resource Greetings

Comment

Originally posted by Steve View Post
                  The current favorite is the Morgan Carbtune. It comes from England,
                  Ahem! I'm going to get all territorial now and say it comes from Ireland , well Belfast which is the UK but still Ireland. I bought the old mercury type from Sean Morgan back in the early eighties and even when I sold the bikes ( children) I hung on to it and now it's back, resurrected for the 850.
                  97 R1100R
                  Previous
                  80 GS850G, 79 Z400B, 85 R100RT, 80 Z650D, 76 CB200

Comment

Originally posted by Brendan W View Post
                    Ahem! I'm going to get all territorial now and say it comes from Ireland , well Belfast which is the UK but still Ireland. I bought the old mercury type from Sean Morgan back in the early eighties and even when I sold the bikes ( children) I hung on to it and now it's back, resurrected for the 850.
                    I did notice that looking at the Morgan website.The wife's getting me a Carbtune for Christmas.Get to retire the old Pro Motion mercury sticksGoing to order it from Ireland as getting it from the US would be more $$ for shipping,does that sound stupid to anyone else?
                    Last edited by Guest; 09-19-2013, 09:03 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by rockhammer View Post
                      I picked up a less expensive 4 gauge. I think straight from Morgan with shipping is 100 to the US>
                      You need to calibrate those to a known source every time you use them
                      1978 GS 1000 (since new)
                      1979 GS 1000 (The Fridge, superbike replica project)
                      1978 GS 1000 (parts)
                      1981 GS 850 (anyone want a project?)
                      1981 GPZ 550 (backroad screamer)
                      1970 450 Mk IIID (THUMP!)
                      2007 DRz 400S
                      1999 ATK 490ES
                      1994 DR 350SES

Comment

Agreed!

Like said... Cheap dial gauges are not very accurate and will create more issues then they're worth.

JTGS850GL aka Julius

GS Resource Greetings

Comment

mY BIKE ONLY NEEDS TWO COLUMNS
                          SO THERE

Comment

Ahem! I'm going to get all territorial now and say it comes from Ireland , well Belfast which is the UK but still Ireland.
                            OK, my bad. I never paid any attention to their address, I only know that they deal in Great British Pounds, so I assumed "England".

I bought the old mercury type from Sean Morgan back in the early eighties and even when I sold the bikes ( children) I hung on to it and now it's back, resurrected for the 850.
                            I bought a set of "mercury sticks" back about 1980 to sync the carbs on my KZ1300. Yeah, it's a six-cylinder bike, but it has three two-barrel carbs, like the '83-and-up GS550. That is still the gauge that I use today. When it dies, I will get a Carbtune.

Originally posted by JTGS850GL View Post
                            Steve: That $107.43 doesn't include shipping.
                            OK, I wil admit that I went through the site rather quickly last night. Let's go back and do some copying and pasting from Carbtune.com:

On the home page, I see this:
                            USA customers

See your special page
                            The word "See" is a link. Click on it, you will see this on the next page:

Customers from USA
                            Every day we send Carbtunes to the USA. Have a look at the testimonials to see how many come from happy customers in the US.
                            Our business is based in the UK so all prices are in £ sterling or British pounds. The total cost delivered airmail for the 4-col Carbtune is £60 British pounds. (£57 + £3 airmail USA) That's about $US100. That's the total price delivered airmail to your postal address.
                            If you want the toolpouch as well it's only £7 extra (separate price £12 pounds) to make the 4-col Carbtune and Toolpouch £67 delivered. (£64 + £3 airmail)
                            Now I will copy part of that and highlight it:
                            Customers from USA
                            Our business is based in the UK so all prices are in £ sterling or British pounds.
                            The total cost delivered airmail for the 4-col Carbtune is £60 British pounds. (£57 + £3 airmail USA)
                            That's about $US100. That's the total price delivered airmail to your postal address.
                            If you want the toolpouch as well it's only £7 extra (separate price £12 pounds)
                            to make the 4-col Carbtune and Toolpouch £67 delivered. (£64 + £3 airmail)
                            They also provide a link to a currency convertor.
                            Here is a screen shot of today's cost:

Yesterday, it was $107.43.

Was there something there that I missed?

sigpic
                            mine: 2000 Honda GoldWing GL1500SE and 1980 GS850G'K' "Junior"
                            hers: 1982 GS850GL - "Angel" and 1969 Suzuki T250 Scrambler
                            #1 son: 1986 Yamaha Venture Royale 1300 and 1982 GS650GL "Rat Bagger"
                            #2 son: 1980 GS1000G
                            Family Portrait
                            Siblings and Spouses
                            Mom's first ride
                            Want a copy of my valve adjust spreadsheet for your 2-valve per cylinder engine? Send me an e-mail request (not a PM)
                            (Click on my username in the upper-left corner for e-mail info.)

Comment

Originally posted by SVSooke View Post
                              Going to order it from Ireland as getting it from the US would be more $$ for shipping,does that sound stupid to anyone else?
                              We could always ship machine parts to Ontario direct from Ireland way cheaper than shipping up the road from our sister plant in Indiana
                              97 R1100R
                              Previous
                              80 GS850G, 79 Z400B, 85 R100RT, 80 Z650D, 76 CB200

Comment

Working...
                              X