No announcement yet.

'78 gs750 carb woes

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

OriginalOwner, you don't need the brass. Any of the vendors in your welcome kit can get the stuff you're looking for. Please post up your own thread asking for the help though instead of hijacking the OPs
    Cowboy Up or Quit. - Run Free Lou and Rest in Peace

1981 GS550T - My First
    1981 GS550L - My Eldest Daughter's - Now Sold
    2007 GSF1250SA Bandit - My touring bike

Sit tall in the saddle Hold your head up high
    Keep your eyes fixed where the trail meets the sky and live like you ain't afraid to die
    and don't be scared, just enjoy your ride - Chris Ledoux, "The Ride"

Comment

Originally posted by cowboyup3371 View Post
      OriginalOwner, you don't need the brass. Any of the vendors in your welcome kit can get the stuff you're looking for. Please post up your own thread asking for the help though instead of hijacking the OPs
      Thanks for your input.

I didn't see a need to spam the forum with a new thread when I joined the discussion in this one -- I replied to a post and never went off-topic to the discussion. I think your use of the word "hijacking" is inaccurate and quite frankly, a little melodramatic.

Enjoyed your 550 rebuild thread. Good stuff, thanks.

Last edited by Guest; 09-23-2013, 11:14 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by OriginalOwner View Post
        Thanks Nessism for the good advice/links -- and I ain't even mad that you called me a "newbie."

Cycleorings.com is exactly what I'm looking for, much appreciated - what a great site with fair prices.

Got a site for the bowl gaskets? I'm definitely going to need those as well.

There's a guy on Ebay that sells 4 Genuine Suzuki OEM kits (with brass) for $70.00 -- the kit not only has the bowl gaskets but also the pilot jet plugs that I need too.

If I have to buy the plugs and the gaskets separately at the prices I've seen online, the ebay deal is not only gonna cost less but also have all the brass as an extra added bonus.

What do you think?

Please post a link to those kits. I'll bet you my 401k they are NOT "Genuine Suzuki OEM kits". For one, Suzuki never offered such a thing, and original Mikuni parts as sold though Suzuki are a LOT of money - about $40 for just ONE float needle and seat alone.
        Ed

To measure is to know.

Mikuni O-ring Kits For Sale...https://www.thegsresources.com/_foru...ts#post1703182

Top Newbie Mistakes thread...http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...d.php?t=171846

Carb rebuild tutorial...https://gsarchive.bwringer.com/mtsac...d_Tutorial.pdf

KZ750E Rebuild Thread...http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...0-Resurrection

Comment

Originally posted by Nessism View Post
          Please post a link to those kits. I'll bet you my 401k they are NOT "Genuine Suzuki OEM kits". For one, Suzuki never offered such a thing, and original Mikuni parts as sold though Suzuki are a LOT of money - about $40 for just ONE float needle and seat alone.
          The ad says, "(4) brand new carburetor kits MADE IN JAPAN for suzuki." My first perception was Suzuki OEM and the ad is designed to lead the reader to believe that -- but on second thought, the statement is indeed ambiguous and I suppose it could mean anything.

Here's the link:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/1980-1983-su...9986%26ps%3D54
          Last edited by Guest; 09-23-2013, 12:24 PM.

Comment

Those are K&L kits, sold by a guy I know, Marcel, out of Auburn, WA.

I made the same mistake. Don't bother with the kits. Just get the o-rings and the bowl gaskets. Really.

Marcel, aka "retro-motorcycles" is a fantastic resource for parts, but his carb kits are K&L. He does indeed lead you to believe that they are Suzuki, though.

I've been to Marcel's shop, it is FULL of shelves that are full to the brim of neatly organized slide-out boxes and all sorts of goodies.

Good luck
            -Matt

Comment

Originally posted by lemonshindig View Post
              Those are K&L kits, sold by a guy I know, Marcel, out of Auburn, WA.

I made the same mistake. Don't bother with the kits. Just get the o-rings and the bowl gaskets. Really.

Marcel, aka "retro-motorcycles" is a fantastic resource for parts, but his carb kits are K&L. He does indeed lead you to believe that they are Suzuki, though.

I've been to Marcel's shop, it is FULL of shelves that are full to the brim of neatly organized slide-out boxes and all sorts of goodies.

Good luck
              -Matt
              Thanks Matt! Great insight, great info.

Marcel sells a lot of cycle parts on ebay and has a high rate of satisfied customers -- but he also has small army of customers that are quite ****ed off at him too.

Thanks for the heads-up on the specifics.

I will just get the o-rings from cycleorings.com for $15. bucks and then bowl gaskets and pilot jet plugs from Sirius Consolidated for $20 or so. and even though the shipping rates at Sirius are stupid high, I'll still be saving money.

I really appreciate your response.

Comment

I humbly submit this thread for starters (it's also in my sig, because I am vain, you see).

You need to rejet for certain, and I would ditch the cheap pods and get K&N pods instead. Upgrade the pods before you rejet, so you won't have to do it twice.

HTH

Comment

Working...
                X