Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Chirp and a burst of smoke?

Hello

I recently adjust my vavle clearances, yesterday finished up to be precise. Prior to the adjustment I could not get the .02 feeler under any of them. After I had clearances range from .03 to .06 through out. I do notice the bike runs much better. The bike has 13,700 miles on it.

I went out for a spin today and notice a chirp noise while riding. I got home and let it idle while I looked it over. Turns out the chirp noise is coming from #4 intake boot right where it meets the engine. It chirps and a small puff of smoke exits a very small space. I have new boots and seals for it and will be changing them out next week.

Question, any opinion on what is causing the chirp and little burst of smoke? It seems to me that the bike needs new boots and seals and that should stop it?

I am new to all this so I am just guessing based on what I have learned so far.

Thanks

An air leak like that can cause a back fire which would cause the smoke. Put the boots on and see what she runs like. Did you vacuum synch your carbs after you did the valve job and adjust the mixture screws for each carb?
    Rob
    1983 1100ES, 98' ST1100, 02' DR-Z400E and a few other 'bits and pieces'
    Are you on the GSR Google Earth Map yet? http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...d.php?t=170533

Comment

Maybe Tweety Bird is smoking a joint in there.
      "Men will never be free until Mark learns to do The Twist."

-Denis D'shaker

79 GS750N

Comment

Originally posted by azr View Post
        An air leak like that can cause a back fire which would cause the smoke. Put the boots on and see what she runs like. Did you vacuum synch your carbs after you did the valve job and adjust the mixture screw?
        Hello

My list of work on the bike is vac boots and seals next week as well as chain tension er seals, then carb clean and sync then air box boots. I have all the parts. Just cant work on the bike non stop.

Comment

By the time you're finished all that work it should be running like a champ!
          Rob
          1983 1100ES, 98' ST1100, 02' DR-Z400E and a few other 'bits and pieces'
          Are you on the GSR Google Earth Map yet? http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...d.php?t=170533

Comment

I got that little puff of smoke out of my no. 1 too. But it has new O rings on the boots and on every carb part. I guess it is a little backfiring that is due to over rich running.

Greetings
            Richard
            sigpic
            GS1150 EF bought Jun 2015
            GS1150 ES bought Mar 2014: ES Makeover Thread AND blog: Go to the Blog
            GS1100 G (2) bought Aug 2013: Road Runner Project Thread AND blog: Go to the Blog
            GS1100 G (1) Dad bought new 1985 (in rebuild) see: Dad's GS1100 G Rebuild AND blog: Go to the Blog
            Previously owned: Suzuki GS750 EF (Canada), Suzuki GS750 (UK)(Avatar circa 1977), Yamaha XT500, Suzuki T500, Honda XL125, Garelli 50
            Join the United Kingdom (UK) Suzuki GS Facebook Group here

Comment

Since you changed the settings of the valves, would a fresher vac sync maybe help the situation???
              MY BIKES..1977 GS 750 B, 1978 GS 1000 C (X2)
              1978 GS 1000 E, 1979 GS 1000 S, 1973 Yamaha TX 750, 1977 Kawasaki KZ 650B1, 1975 Honda GL1000 Goldwing, 1983 CB 650SC Nighthawk, 1972 Honda CB 350K4, 74 Honda CB550

NEVER SNEAK UP ON A SLEEPING DOG..NOT EVEN YOUR OWN.

I would rather trust my bike to a "QUACK" that KNOWS how to fix it rather than a book worm that THINKS HE KNOWS how to fix it.

Comment

Working...
              X