1981 GS750E Hose Sizes

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

1981 GS750E Hose Sizes

1981 GS750E -- Looking for breather/vacuum/fuel line sizes to replace with my carb rebuild and the most cost-effective way to buy them.

I searched here and browsed the links but didn't find my specifics.

I'm also looking for anyone's experience and opinion's using Tygon or any other so-called "Ethanol resistant" hoses.

Any fuel line wisdom or tricks you'd like to share will be welcomed and appreciated.

Thanks!

Try this thread......

Larry D
    1980 GS450S
    1981 GS450S
    2003 Heritage Softtail

Comment

Originally posted by Larry D View Post

Yep, saw that one and even clicked on all the links inside but like I said, nothing specific to my exact year model. One of the posters wasn't sure but had a theory that fuel line is expressed in millimeters as IDXODXLength.

When I look up the OEM part for my bike's fuel line it is expressed as:
      7X10.2X240

If that poster is correct (and it makes sense) then my fuel line is 7mm inside diameter, 10.2mm outside diameter with a length of 240.

Now, instead of $24 bucks plus shipping I'm wondering if I can buy a reasonable facsimile at a big box home store or even a chain auto parts store for a buck or two and not wait the week for it to be shipped.

From what I read here the 5/16 or 1/4 inch hose is not a good substitute for 7mm.

Someone had to have been here before?

What did you do?

Comment

Originally posted by OriginalOwner View Post
        When I look up the OEM part for my bike's fuel line it is expressed as:
        7X10.2X240

If that poster is correct (and it makes sense) then my fuel line is 7mm inside diameter, 10.2mm outside diameter with a length of 240.

Now, instead of $24 bucks plus shipping I'm wondering if I can buy a reasonable facsimile at a big box home store or even a chain auto parts store for a buck or two and not wait the week for it to be shipped.
        Instead of going to a big box store, please tell us where you are getting RAPED on your parts.

The most-expensive source I have known, Alpha Sports, charges $19.50 for that hose. Other sites claim that "retail" price is $16.25, but Boulevard Suzuki charges $14.62. As luck would have it, I received an order from Boulevard today that included fuel line. I just looked on the invoice, I was charged $11.60.

Most of the specifications are correct, except for the length. Can't find my tape measure real quick, but I stepped on one end and pulled it up (without stretching it), it was every bit as tall as I am, and I am 6' 5".

It's worth the wait to get the proper hose. I have not seen ANY aftermarket fuel hose that does not get hard in less than a year. The hose that I put on my wife's bike back in 2006 still feels like new.

Change your source, wait the week, enjoy the proper hose.

sigpic
        mine: 2000 Honda GoldWing GL1500SE and 1980 GS850G'K' "Junior"
        hers: 1982 GS850GL - "Angel" and 1969 Suzuki T250 Scrambler
        #1 son: 1986 Yamaha Venture Royale 1300 and 1982 GS650GL "Rat Bagger"
        #2 son: 1980 GS1000G
        Family Portrait
        Siblings and Spouses
        Mom's first ride
        Want a copy of my valve adjust spreadsheet for your 2-valve per cylinder engine? Send me an e-mail request (not a PM)
        (Click on my username in the upper-left corner for e-mail info.)

Comment

Originally posted by Steve View Post
          Instead of going to a big box store, please tell us where you are getting RAPED on your parts.

The most-expensive source I have known, Alpha Sports, charges $19.50 for that hose. Other sites claim that "retail" price is $16.25, but Boulevard Suzuki charges $14.62. As luck would have it, I received an order from Boulevard today that included fuel line. I just looked on the invoice, I was charged $11.60.

Most of the specifications are correct, except for the length. Can't find my tape measure real quick, but I stepped on one end and pulled it up (without stretching it), it was every bit as tall as I am, and I am 6' 5".

It's worth the wait to get the proper hose. I have not seen ANY aftermarket fuel hose that does not get hard in less than a year. The hose that I put on my wife's bike back in 2006 still feels like new.

Change your source, wait the week, enjoy the proper hose.

I appreciate your insight, thanks.

Have you ever replaced your petcock vacuum, vent hoses and crankcase breather hoses? If so, do you do the same thing? Dealer only?

I think that petcock vacuum is just a 3/16 or 5mm but I haven't looked close at the carb vent hoses or the crankcase breather yet. Been there?

Thanks.

Comment

Working...
          X