gs1000e hard to start

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

gs1000e hard to start

ive cleaned the carbs and had them set up by a local dealer all runs well when hot;
    when you start the bike from cold it takes ages for it to fire and when it does it spits and pops, some times when you turn it over you can hear a click from the top end not sure what this is but it does it every now and then before the bike fires up,
    when the bike is running it runs well.
    the timming is electronic not points
    any idears will be a great help

sounds like the fuel enrichment circuits are blocked. strip the carbs again and make sure all the circuits are clean, including the tubes in the float bowls
    1978 GS1085.

Just remember, an opinion without 3.14 is just an onion!

Comment

thanks , had a feeling i would be taking the carbs of again but i will be more carefull this time

Comment

do you have any idear what the click noise from the top is when it turns over. it does it now and then when you start from cold

Comment

Valves out of spec, air gaps in the intake manifolds, loose clamps, timing just a tad off, all can also cause delayed or hard starting. I would recheck these first before ripping into the carbs.
          MY BIKES..1977 GS 750 B, 1978 GS 1000 C (X2)
          1978 GS 1000 E, 1979 GS 1000 S, 1973 Yamaha TX 750, 1977 Kawasaki KZ 650B1, 1975 Honda GL1000 Goldwing, 1983 CB 650SC Nighthawk, 1972 Honda CB 350K4, 74 Honda CB550

NEVER SNEAK UP ON A SLEEPING DOG..NOT EVEN YOUR OWN.

I would rather trust my bike to a "QUACK" that KNOWS how to fix it rather than a book worm that THINKS HE KNOWS how to fix it.

Comment

probably nothing to worry about if its not there when the engine is running properly when hot. get it running properly from cold and see if it is still there
            1978 GS1085.

Comment

thanks for the good advice will look at this over the weekend
              there is another noise when it ticks over like a ting ting noise it starts quiet and gets louder then goes maybe this is to do with the carbs clogged up
              but the timing will have to check it maybe a tad out, have new inlet rubbers and will check the shims

Comment

Bad carb syncing will make for hard starts too.

He cant expect to get it to start good from COLD until he has verified everything. And of course it starts and runs great when its hot..simply BECAUSE its ALREADY hot!!!!
                1978 GS 1000 E, 1979 GS 1000 S, 1973 Yamaha TX 750, 1977 Kawasaki KZ 650B1, 1975 Honda GL1000 Goldwing, 1983 CB 650SC Nighthawk, 1972 Honda CB 350K4, 74 Honda CB550

I would rather trust my bike to a "QUACK" that KNOWS how to fix it rather than a book worm that THINKS HE KNOWS how to fix it.

Comment

Originally posted by harrymthree View Post
                  do you have any idear what the click noise from the top is when it turns over. it does it now and then when you start from cold
                  Does the click happen when you press the starter button?

Are you sure it's coming from the top and not the left side?

The #1 hard to start issue is tight valves
                  1978 GS 1000 (since new)
                  1979 GS 1000 (The Fridge, superbike replica project)
                  1978 GS 1000 (parts)
                  1981 GS 850 (anyone want a project?)
                  1981 GPZ 550 (backroad screamer)
                  1970 450 Mk IIID (THUMP!)
                  2007 DRz 400S
                  1999 ATK 490ES
                  1994 DR 350SES

Comment

A click noise when cranking is not good. A stuck cam chain tensioner could be allowing too much slack. A failing starter clutch is also a possibility.

Oh, and needless to say, you must make sure the valves are properly adjusted. Failing to do so will make the bike hard to start, as well as damage the engine. Burned valves from maintenance neglect is a common reasons GS bikes hit the scrap heap.
                    Last edited by Nessism; 09-25-2013, 02:27 PM.
                    Ed

To measure is to know.

Mikuni O-ring Kits For Sale...https://www.thegsresources.com/_foru...ts#post1703182

Top Newbie Mistakes thread...http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...d.php?t=171846

Carb rebuild tutorial...https://gsarchive.bwringer.com/mtsac...d_Tutorial.pdf

KZ750E Rebuild Thread...http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...0-Resurrection

Comment

Originally posted by chuck hahn View Post
                      And of course it starts and runs great when its hot..simply BECAUSE its ALREADY hot!!!!
                      agreed, nobody said otherwise!
                      1978 GS1085.

Comment

Ticking and clicking sounds have also been known to be made by old wires with micro cracks. The wires will sporadically arc to the valve cover of frame nearby and make clicking or snappy tick like sounds.

This also would be another suspect cause for hard starting..no spark delivery from the wires arcing out.

Comment

HE said it runs great when warmed up. Which is to whom my response was directed.

Comment

got new starter clutch the old one was worn and stronger clutch back plate springs to stop these noises; this gives me a lot to think about have to tell the wife christmas dinner is on hold need the table to do work on the bike;
                            thanks to all for your imput

bryan

Comment

Originally posted by chuck hahn View Post
                              HE said it runs great when warmed up. Which is to whom my response was directed.
                              some bikes are hard to start when they are cold OR hot, or both. each scenario could point to different faults! most common when cold are choke not working correctly. tight valves would cause more problems when hot, compression will be lower
                              1978 GS1085.

Comment

Working...
                              X