Throttle won't close all the way

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by giganticflying View Post
    OriginalOwner-the throttle on the handlbar is frozen, in the carbs it open and close fine.

I'm going to just dip them one at a time. Since this is my first time I'm terrified of separating the parts from the bodies and forgetting where they go. Classes start back up on Monday anyway so it'll give my a little after school zen without being too overwhelming.

I'm just going to start a thread for the throttle issue when I get there.
    As was mentioned, take the two Phillips-head screws out of the handlebar throttle housing and it'll come apart in two half moon pieces. The problem will likely be obvious once you have a look inside.

Don't sweat the carbs -- you can do it. My tips are as follows:

1) use the right size screw driver and use it assertively -- make sure you don't slip or strip.

2) I like to use a muffin tin to keep the parts in. I put in a small numbered slip of paper inside the first cup on the tin and use that row for the different sections of the carb.

3) Old guitar strings make great carb cleaning tools and give you a variety of different sizes. I also use the small E string as a feeler gauge to bench synch the carbs.

4) Mr. Ness's tutorial is invaluable and will likely answer every question you may have. Keep it close-by if at all possible.

Everyone here offers good advice and hopefully some encouragement too. At times it may feel like it -- but it ain't brain surgery.

Don't hesitate to ask.

Good luck!!

Comment

As of tonight, the carbs are 100% disassembled and one carb body is in the can! Everything is there, nothing is stripped and it all actually looks pretty clean except for some debris in the bowls. Maybe they were cleaned at one point? Or because it has low miles?

Thanks for all the help everyone. I'll post pictures as soon as I can get them uploaded.

Question: Since I have the o-rings ordered, can I just clean the brass pieces with them on so I don't forget what size goes on what?
      Last edited by Guest; 09-30-2013, 03:25 AM.

Comment

Robert will have a sheet in there with directions. basically you just need to be sure which ones go to the pilot and /or air screws because they are very close in size. Ther rest bare pretty self explanatory.
        MY BIKES..1977 GS 750 B, 1978 GS 1000 C (X2)
        1978 GS 1000 E, 1979 GS 1000 S, 1973 Yamaha TX 750, 1977 Kawasaki KZ 650B1, 1975 Honda GL1000 Goldwing, 1983 CB 650SC Nighthawk, 1972 Honda CB 350K4, 74 Honda CB550

NEVER SNEAK UP ON A SLEEPING DOG..NOT EVEN YOUR OWN.

I would rather trust my bike to a "QUACK" that KNOWS how to fix it rather than a book worm that THINKS HE KNOWS how to fix it.

Comment

Everything is there, nothing is stripped and it all actually looks pretty clean except for some debris in the bowls. Maybe they were cleaned at one point? Or because it has low miles?
          Dip the float bowls too if you haven't. The choke pickup passage tends to clog up.
          http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v5...tatesMap-1.jpg

Life is too short to ride an L.

Comment

As of tonight, the carbs are 100% disassembled and one carb body is in the can! Everything is there, nothing is stripped and it all actually looks pretty clean except for some debris in the bowls. Maybe they were cleaned at one point? Or because it has low miles?

Thanks for all the help everyone. I'll post pictures as soon as I can get them uploaded.

Question: Since I have the o-rings ordered, can I just clean the brass pieces with them on so I don't forget what size goes on what?
            Don't leave them on because a lot of the crap forms behind the o-rings. Take 'em off.

Here's what I did while waiting for my o-rings; I removed the o-rings and cleaned the part, then I put the old o-ring back on so I wouldn't forget which goes where and what pieces actually get the o-rings.

If you roll the old o-ring between your thumb and fore finger, all of the crap falls off.

In the end, I probably didn't need to put the old ones back on but it put mind mind at ease during the process.

Sounds like things are going well with your rebuild.

Great job!!

Comment

I've got the top, bowl, and body in the can. I'm just going to wait to clean the small bits until I get the o-rings just in case. I'm probably being to careful, but I'd rather err on the side of caution.

There was some gasket residue on the bowls, but I imagine it'll come off easier once they're dipped.
              Last edited by Guest; 09-30-2013, 03:25 PM.

Comment

One more question: I disassembled and cleaned the slide on the first carb, but it was pretty clean, and the rest of them look pretty clean also. Could I just get away with spraying them down?

Comment

They generally dont get too dirty and a rinse with spray and some steel wool on the outsides will usually suffice.
                  MY BIKES..1977 GS 750 B, 1978 GS 1000 C (X2)
                  1978 GS 1000 E, 1979 GS 1000 S, 1973 Yamaha TX 750, 1977 Kawasaki KZ 650B1, 1975 Honda GL1000 Goldwing, 1983 CB 650SC Nighthawk, 1972 Honda CB 350K4, 74 Honda CB550

NEVER SNEAK UP ON A SLEEPING DOG..NOT EVEN YOUR OWN.

I would rather trust my bike to a "QUACK" that KNOWS how to fix it rather than a book worm that THINKS HE KNOWS how to fix it.

Comment

Working...
                  X