1980 GS 550 hard start

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

1980 GS 550 hard start

Every time, every time I go to ride the ol girl it takes a lot of cranking over so much so I worry about draining the battery. After many many hits of the start button and fiddling with the choke, she fires up.
    Starts right up after I've been running it for a while. Clogged pilot jets? valve adjustment? what do you guys think?

When was the last time you did a valve adjustment? If you don't know then it's probably way past time for that.

When was the last time the carbs were cleaned? Don't know, then same as above.

Basic list for hard starting would be: Check for good spark, clean carbs, adjust valves, check/replace plugs and clean/replace air filter. Make sure that everything on the intake side back is sealed up tight.

1980 GS1000GT (Daily rider with a 1983 1100G engine)
    1998 Honda ST1100 (Daily long distance rider)
    1982 GS850GLZ (Daily rider when the weather is crap)

Darn, with so many daily riders it's hard to decide which one to jump on next.

JTGS850GL aka Julius

GS Resource Greetings

Comment

Sorry, you haven't given us much to go on. The common issues for hard starting are a) valves out of adjustment b) dirty carbs c) weak electricals ( lack of voltage to the coils). When were valves last adjusted? How about cleaning of carbs with fresh O-rings? Have electrical contacts and grounds been cleaned ?

Generally, situations like this are not as a result of one thing but combinations. Weak spark and tight valves often are at fault and I'd start by looking at these. Carbs too can be an issue but usually other symptoms occur like problems with idle and flat spots on throttle up etc.

Tell us more and we'll try to narrow it down a bit.

cheers,
      A.

Comment

thanks for your reply's. I brought this bike back from the dead about this time last year. I got it for $150 bucks and the guy who had knew nothing about it. I dip the carbs (each one disassemble and sat in the dip overnight) I de-rusted the tank and lined it. I have a feelling my intake boots are'nt 100% installed on there right. that was a P.I.T.A. getting those back on! Anyway, Put it all back together and it fired up. I've been riding it all season this year in said condition. No one knows when the valves where checked last. I don't even know how to adjust them....I let it sit last winter with gas in it but did add Sta-Bil. is there a tutorial on adjusting these valves somewhere?

Comment

Originally posted by dfinnegan71 View Post
          No one knows when the valves where checked last. I don't even know how to adjust them....
          It's easy, just wait until the valves burn and replace the head.

Life is too short to ride an L.

Comment

Originally posted by tkent02 View Post
            It's easy, just wait until the valves burn and replace the head.
            LOL!

Comment

is there a tutorial on adjusting these valves somewhere?
              Uhh, ... yeah.

Have you looked in the library, otherwise known as BassCliff's website?

Scroll down the left column, you will see an article called Valve Adjustment (8 Valve).
              Right below that is another article called Zip Tie Supplement. Many of us use that, too.

Of course, these are in addition to, not instead of, a service manual for your bike.

Click on the links above, then have some fun reading and wrenching.

You may also feel free to accept the invitation in my sig for another 'tool'.

sigpic
              mine: 2000 Honda GoldWing GL1500SE and 1980 GS850G'K' "Junior"
              hers: 1982 GS850GL - "Angel" and 1969 Suzuki T250 Scrambler
              #1 son: 1986 Yamaha Venture Royale 1300 and 1982 GS650GL "Rat Bagger"
              #2 son: 1980 GS1000G
              Family Portrait
              Siblings and Spouses
              Mom's first ride
              Want a copy of my valve adjust spreadsheet for your 2-valve per cylinder engine? Send me an e-mail request (not a PM)
              (Click on my username in the upper-left corner for e-mail info.)

Comment

Thanks Steve!! Basscliff's site is on my homepage forever as of right now!! Thanks agian and thank you BASSCLIFF!!

Comment

Sell the bike and buy a Toyota.
                  Ed

To measure is to know.

Mikuni O-ring Kits For Sale...https://www.thegsresources.com/_foru...ts#post1703182

Top Newbie Mistakes thread...http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...d.php?t=171846

Carb rebuild tutorial...https://gsarchive.bwringer.com/mtsac...d_Tutorial.pdf

KZ750E Rebuild Thread...http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...0-Resurrection

Comment

Anything you do to get the bike running right MUST include checking and adjusting the valves if out of spec. A bad valve adjustment will show up as a number of drivability issues. As stated earlier, tight valves can lead to burnt valves and require extensive repair.

Just dipping the carbs is not enough. Did you verify that all the passages where clean? There are a number of small passages that simply dipping will not remove the blockages. The choke and pilot circuits are very prone to blockage and need to be mechanically cleaned out.

1980 GS1000GT (Daily rider with a 1983 1100G engine)
                    1998 Honda ST1100 (Daily long distance rider)
                    1982 GS850GLZ (Daily rider when the weather is crap)

Darn, with so many daily riders it's hard to decide which one to jump on next.

JTGS850GL aka Julius

GS Resource Greetings

Comment

Thanks Steve!! Basscliff's site is on my homepage forever as of right now!! Thanks agian and thank you BASSCLIFF!!
                      Did you not receive his MegaWelcome?

If you had introduced yourself in the GS Owners forum not long after joining, you probably got one.

Not sure how you could have possibly not remembered it.

sigpic
                      mine: 2000 Honda GoldWing GL1500SE and 1980 GS850G'K' "Junior"
                      hers: 1982 GS850GL - "Angel" and 1969 Suzuki T250 Scrambler
                      #1 son: 1986 Yamaha Venture Royale 1300 and 1982 GS650GL "Rat Bagger"
                      #2 son: 1980 GS1000G
                      Family Portrait
                      Siblings and Spouses
                      Mom's first ride
                      Want a copy of my valve adjust spreadsheet for your 2-valve per cylinder engine? Send me an e-mail request (not a PM)
                      (Click on my username in the upper-left corner for e-mail info.)

Comment

Originally posted by Steve View Post
                        Did you not receive his MegaWelcome?

If you had introduced yourself in the GS Owners forum not long after joining, you probably got one.

Not sure how you could have possibly not remembered it.

I might have but I have a serious case of CRS brought on by years of not remembering ****. But I forgot how that happened!

Comment

Working...
                        X