carb boot clamps

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

carb boot clamps

After messing with my carbs some recently I've decided that I need to replace the clamps on the boots, seems like the old ones were leaking some air. Any suggestions on where to get some decent clamps? I'd like wormscrew ones. Obviously I can just get someone's old ones on Ebay, but I'd prefer to get new ones somewhere.

82 GS 1100 E

from someone who went through this recently...

reshape your OEM ones. Better and cheaper.

Eventually I will write up a review ( got the pics and the measurements etc.).

this guy sent me a bunch of samples. and he was willing to make "kits" as necessary for our applications. He's got this retail site and is on ebay. - http://www.caphardwaresupply.com/hos...o-clamps-w4-ss

I also ordered ones from Z1

In the end I found that reshaping my existing ones was the best choice.

The $40+ (I need 12 for my bike) for Z1's wasn't worth it and they were a little big for my application.

The ones from CAP supply were nice but harder to install on the inner carbs.

I also found that once I replaced my boots, they clamps didn''t bottom out, I believe my old boots were shrunk.
    1981 GS750L - Owned since 1990 when graduated high school and since have been discovering all the things not disclosed by seller.
    1983 GS750E - bought in 2016 as a rough runner to use while rebuilding 81L and then to combine with ES to make one good one
    1983 GS750ES - bought in Toronto in 2015 on a lark as a non-runner, missing front cowling and exhaust - If you have a 1983 750ES front cowling let me know! Blue would be nice

Comment

First: do you have new boots? The old boots shrink with age and get hard. As they get hard, they get thinner and don't hold the carbs any more. New boots with be thicker and more flexible, and won't leak air.

That said, the OEM clamps can stretch somewhat. I've not seen any with the worm gear that were the right width. (The OEM clamps are thinner than most worm gear ones.)

You can shorten your old ones pretty easily though, just straighten the end with the hole, snip off the part with the hole, drill a new hole, make a new bend, and Bob's your uncle. I did this with four of mine and it works great. If you care about looks, then you just have to be a bit more careful with the bending and snipping and whatnot.

Edit: Andrew beat me to it!
      Charles
      --
      1979 Suzuki GS850G

Read BassCliff's GSR Greeting and Mega-Welcome!

Comment

alright, where do I get carb boots?

Comment

let me say this first, actually, I recently bought the bike and I'm not sure how old the boots are, but the rubber does still feel pretty soft...

Comment

Originally posted by eil View Post
            You can shorten your old ones pretty easily though, just straighten the end with the hole, snip off the part with the hole, drill a new hole, make a new bend, and Bob's your uncle. I did this with four of mine and it works great. If you care about looks, then you just have to be a bit more careful with the bending and snipping and whatnot.

Edit: Andrew beat me to it!
            I did this with my clamps and they worked out great.
            http://img633.imageshack.us/img633/811/douMvs.jpg
            1980 GS1000GT (Daily rider with a 1983 1100G engine)
            1998 Honda ST1100 (Daily long distance rider)
            1982 GS850GLZ (Daily rider when the weather is crap)

Darn, with so many daily riders it's hard to decide which one to jump on next.;)

JTGS850GL aka Julius

GS Resource Greetings

Comment

Greetings and Salutations!!

Hi Mr. drew.t,

My favorite vendors are partshark.com, gssuzuki.com, and z1enterprises.com. There are lots of others that are favorites with other members. You'll find a fairly complete vendor list in the links below. You'll also see some other information which I hope you will find helpful. It's your "mega-welcome".

If you are here you probably have a 30 year old motorcycle that needs about 20 years worth of maintenance. In the links below you'll find maintenance lists, documentation, wiring diagrams, "how to" guides, vendor links, tips, tricks, and a whole lot of GS goodness. This is your "mega-welcome". Let's get started.

Let me dump a TON of information on you and share some GS lovin'.

I just stopped by to welcome you to the forum in my own, special way.

If there's anything you'd like to know about the Suzuki GS model bikes, and most others actually, you've come to the right place. There's a lot of knowledge and experience here in the community. Come on in and let me say "HOoooowwwDY!"....

Here is your very own magical, mystical, mythical, mind-expanding "mega-welcome". Please take notice of the "Top 10 Common Issues", "Top 15 Tips For GS Happiness", the Carb Cleanup Series, and the Stator Papers. All of these tasks must be addressed in order to have a safe, reliable machine. This is what NOT to do: Top 10 Newbie Mistakes. Now let me roll out the welcome mat for you...

Please Click Here For Your Mega-Welcome, chock full of tips, suggestions, links to vendors, and other information. Then feel free to visit my little BikeCliff website where I've been collecting the wisdom of this generous community. Don't forget, we like pictures! Not you, your bike!

More links to helpful threads in the forum:
              Help! Your Bike Won't Start
              DON'T DO THESE THINGS
              Help! Your Bike Won't Run Well
              Oh God! Pods!

Thanks for joining us. Keep us informed.

Thank you for your indulgence,

BassCliff

Comment

New clamps from Suzuki are only a couple bucks each.
                1983 GS850G, Cosmos Blue.
                2005 KLR685, Aztec Pink - Turd II.3, the ReReReTurdening
                2015 Yamaha FJ-09, Magma Red Power Corrupts...
                Eat more venison.

Please provide details. The GSR Hive Mind is nearly omniscient, but not yet clairvoyant.

Celeriter equita, converteque saepe.

SUPPORT THIS SITE! DONATE TODAY!

Co-host of "The Riding Obsession" sport-touring motorcycling podcast at tro.bike!

Comment

Working...
                X